Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

Latest system update brings NNIDs and Miiverse to 3DS.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

A new firmware update for the 3DS is online and ready for download as of tonight. The main new feature is that the handheld now supports the Nintendo Network ID system and Miiverse. If you have an NNID already as a Wii U owner, you can link that account to your 3DS. The immediate benefit of doing so is that it will merge your eShop wallets on both systems.

Miiverse on 3DS is looking pretty smooth so far. Not many communities for 3DS games yet, but given time that's bound to change.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By LiquidPrince

This would be cool, if I ever planned on purchasing anything from Nintendo's digital services... ever. But I don't because the way they handle their shit sucks.

alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By alanm26v5

I'm updating right now. While I still prefer physical to digital Nintendo games for the time being, this is a step in the right direction for how they handle things.

webnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By webnet

Also missing is some legitimate communication options between friends. It seems Nintendo would rather you talk to strangers than people you know, weirdness. The MiiVerse has a lot of potential, hopefully they add a few more features.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Aegon

Oh shiiiit, time to make some silly drawings (if that's in the 3DS version?).

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@webnet said:

Also missing is some legitimate communication options between friends. It seems Nintendo would rather you talk to strangers than people you know, weirdness. The MiiVerse has a lot of potential, hopefully they add a few more features.

Yeah, it's definitely a stripped down incarnation of Miiverse functionality. It's likely that they'll add friend functionality at a later date, but it does carry over your Wii U activity feed, so you can still see posts from friends there.

alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

http://www.nintendo.com/3ds/built-in-software/miiverse

I tried to post a screenshot in Pokemon X, but I couldn't figure out how to. I see people posting Zelda screenshots though, so maybe Pokemon just isn't a supported game, which is kind of a letdown if it's on a per game basis. That was one of the features I was looking forward to the most.

webnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@hailinel: I just sorta want to chat with friends or have a group made up of people I know. Maybe in the future.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon said:

Oh shiiiit, time to make some silly drawings (if that's in the 3DS version?).

Posting functionality is the same as on Wii U. You can leave text messages or sketches.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool! I still have like 16 dollars on my Wii U from my Fire Emblem and SMTIV bonus money. Maybe I can find something on 3ds to buy.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

ooo A linked account where your eShop wallet is cross-platform? That sounds nice.

It also sounds like a step toward them eventually attaching your eShop purchases to an account instead of a physical system. That's all I really want.

Well, and the ability to take screenshots in any game. I've been spoiled on Animal Crossing, and now, out of reflex, I hit both L and R in other games, expecting to have it take a screenshot... I just want to share how pretty and fun many of these 3DS games are!

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

If you create a NNID you can't change region anymore? What if you actually physically move to another region/country and need to?

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By ervonymous

It also sounds like a step toward them eventually attaching your eShop purchases to an account instead of a physical system. That's all I really want.

The functionality is still not there? Call me paranoid but I haven't bought a thing from the eshop because of that and I buy stuff constantly on Steam and PSN. Missing out on Ace Attorney and HarmoKnight is a pain.

Scullinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just updated my 3Ds and linked my existing nintendo account from the WiiU. Now I am not able to access the 3DS eShop. I checked the support forums at nintendo.com and it looks like lots of people are having this problem. Internet seams to still be working, pulled up a few web pages in the browser, just the eShop wont load past the screen where it shows you using your new nintendo ID.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hailinel

@scullinator: Might be traffic related? I had no issues last night after the update.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just updated my 3Ds and linked my existing nintendo account from the WiiU. Now I am not able to access the 3DS eShop. I checked the support forums at nintendo.com and it looks like lots of people are having this problem. Internet seams to still be working, pulled up a few web pages in the browser, just the eShop wont load past the screen where it shows you using your new nintendo ID.

I got online to the eShop eventually but it hung up on the loading screen for about 5 minutes. That was about half an hour ago.

Miiverse is cool and all but then I asked myself in all honesty how many times will I probably actually use the application? My answer is probably never. Heck I've had my 3ds since launch and just found out about the "notifications" button on the toolbar.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This is a step in the right direction, but I still can't believe they haven't figured out how to tie games to accounts instead of hardware. Handhelds are the perfect place for downloadable games because I can carry my whole library around with me on an SD card, but I don't want to buy anything if I lose it all when my 3DS eventually breaks.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@cameron said:

This is a step in the right direction, but I still can't believe they haven't figured out how to tie games to accounts instead of hardware. Handhelds are the perfect place for downloadable games because I can carry my whole library around with me on an SD card, but I don't want to buy anything if I lose it all when my 3DS eventually breaks.

Indeed, truly crazy. I don't carry my 3ds around as much as I use to since finding this out. Since maybe the start of this year I've bought all of my games for the 3ds digitally. That's well over 300 dollars worth of 3ds games I've purchased that I might lose if something happens to my 3ds. Get your shit together nintendo.

martez87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By martez87

Is there really no way to transfer stuff between systems if your 3DS happens to die? I had a look on the eshop the other day and I'm quite tempted to buy some games, but my 3DS is quite old at this point...

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@martez87 said:

Is there really no way to transfer stuff between systems if your 3DS happens to die? I had a look on the eshop the other day and I'm quite tempted to buy some games, but my 3DS is quite old at this point...

If your system dies I believe you can just send it to nintendo and they can transfer your stuff either with a fee or warranty. If you lose it I think that's where shit gets hairy.

- Hey Nintendo should of spent that 240 million for Robinson Cano on a better online system.

alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_stay_puft:

I've heard of people who have lost or broken their 3ds contacting Nintendo with their system serial number and getting eshop codes to replace their digital stuff. I don't know if that's normal or the exception though, and how much customer service calling is required. I don't know if they can look up a serial number if you registered the system , so probably best bet would be to write down or take a picture of it as a precaution.

This thread is reminding me that I should buy Harmoknight and Phoenix Wright, but I have other games, some still sealed, that I really should get through first.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.