Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

Nintendo forgetting about the world's lefties?

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 40

#1  Edited By AgentJ

I have spent much of the afternoon freaking out about everything that Nintendo has revealed about the 3DS, but something that I initially noticed and which has been bothering me ever since is that it doesn't seem to be very friendly to southpaws. When I play stylus centric games, I always use my left hand, because my right hand is essentially useless. The problem is, if there are games that require use of both the analog stick and the touch screen, those games may be rendered nearly unplayable for lefties like me. I expect those scenarios to be few and far inbetween, but it would only take one game that I'm particularly excited about (starfox 64 perhaps) to be particularly disappointing. This is part of why I have continuously advocated for a pair of control sticks-numbs-whatever its called. 

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By ajamafalous

How do you deal with current DS games that require use of the d-pad and stylus at the same time?

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By AgentJ
    @ajamafalous said:
    " How do you deal with current DS games that require use of the d-pad and stylus at the same time? "

Lots of games let players use the A, B, X and y buttons as a directional pad, and it worked pretty well for the most part. I don't think those buttons will replicate the analog stick as well though.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @AgentJ: Never thought of that, but yeah I'm the same. I play all games right-handed unless there's a stylus involved.

That has me a little worried now.
    Iceman2913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Iceman2913

I am a lefty also but I am not too worried

kenzo287

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By kenzo287

damn i never thought of that. i guess us lefties will just have to play dumb...i mean right handed. hopefully all the practice i have using the right analog stick on a controller will make it easier in those situations

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AgentJ
    @Kenzo287: doubtful. Try playing something like Metroid Prime Hunters or Elite Beat Agents with your off hand. It's going to be difficult at best, though more ambidextrous people than I may not have as much of a problem.
    clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By clarke0

Honestly they should have just included a second analog stick. I don't see how Sony screwed this up with the PSP and now Nintendo with the 3DS. Although, regarding your point, I somewhat doubt many games are actually going to use both the analog stick and the touchpad simultaneously.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AgentJ
    @clarke0 said:
    " Honestly they should have just included a second analog stick. I don't see how Sony screwed this up with the PSP and now Nintendo with the 3DS. Although, regarding your point, I somewhat doubt many games are actually going to use both the analog stick and the touchpad simultaneously. "
    You're right, they really should have had two.  
    I could see a lot of shooters using both. look around with the touch screen, run with the stick, use a shoulder button to shoot. 
    clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By clarke0
    @AgentJ said:
    " @clarke0 said:
    " Honestly they should have just included a second analog stick. I don't see how Sony screwed this up with the PSP and now Nintendo with the 3DS. Although, regarding your point, I somewhat doubt many games are actually going to use both the analog stick and the touchpad simultaneously. "
    You're right, they really should have had two.  I could see a lot of shooters using both. look around with the touch screen, run with the stick, use a shoulder button to shoot.  "
    True, but shooters will not necessarily be popular on the 3DS. The original DS only really had 3 shooters (Metroid Prime: Hunters, COD4, and Moon) and none of those games were exceptionally popular. Hunters was fun but the controls were difficult to get used to. The controls weren't broken but they were nowhere near the comfort and fidelity of a mouse+keyboard or even dual analog sticks.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By xyzygy

So, on a 360 controller you'd use the left stick to aim and right stick to move in an FPS?  

All the lefties I know play games regularly.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AgentJ
    @clarke0 said:
    " @AgentJ said:
    " @clarke0 said:
    You're right, they really should have had two.  I could see a lot of shooters using both. look around with the touch screen, run with the stick, use a shoulder button to shoot.  "
    True, but shooters will not necessarily be popular on the 3DS. The original DS only really had 3 shooters (Metroid Prime: Hunters, COD4, and Moon) and none of those games were exceptionally popular. Hunters was fun but the controls were difficult to get used to. The controls weren't broken but they were nowhere near the comfort and fidelity of a mouse+keyboard or even dual analog sticks. "
    I think the lack of shooters has a lot to do with the lack of analog stick, and now that there is one, I can really see the system getting quite a few. If Resident Evil and MGS stay the way they have been in recent memory, they may both use this control scheme. 
    clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By clarke0
    @AgentJ said:
    " @clarke0 said:
    " @AgentJ said:
    " @clarke0 said:
    True, but shooters will not necessarily be popular on the 3DS. The original DS only really had 3 shooters (Metroid Prime: Hunters, COD4, and Moon) and none of those games were exceptionally popular. Hunters was fun but the controls were difficult to get used to. The controls weren't broken but they were nowhere near the comfort and fidelity of a mouse+keyboard or even dual analog sticks. "
    I think the lack of shooters has a lot to do with the lack of analog stick, and now that there is one, I can really see the system getting quite a few. If Resident Evil and MGS stay the way they have been in recent memory, they may both use this control scheme.  "
    Those games might be really cool to see on the 3DS. Switching weapons and other tasks could be done easily by moving your thumb up to the d-pad... which can't be done if you're playing left handed. I see that the problem persists in this case.
    Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Nasar7

I am somewhat ambidextrous but I understand your concern. The control scheme sounds quite possible (direct control scribblenauts anyone?) but maybe it would just be a matter of getting used to it? As long as they don't ask you to write stuff it shouldn't be all that bad (except of course in the case of the aforementioned new scribblenauts game).

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AgentJ
    @clarke0: Yep. Maybe if I asked Nintendo really nicely, they'd make me a custom version with the analog on the opposite side? 
    Yeah, I don't think so either
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jadeskye

I'm sure they've got something in mind, they wouldn't alienate 10% of their potential consumers.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Animasta

well you have at the very least a couple months, train that right hand

MikeHawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By MikeHawk

Isn't miyamoto himself left-handed? They'll think of something.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By shirogane

Hmm, this is a good point, however, any game that requires that much precision on the touch screen and buttons/analog at the same time is already getting too complicated. 

Not sure about the shooter stuffs though...
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By Meowayne

Eh, thanks for drawing my attention towards that fact.

It sure sucks. I was always grateful for the leftie option in button/stylus games on the DS. Guess I will have no choice but to learn stylus aim with my right hand.

*looks at right hand*

*right hand looks back*

Iceman2913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Iceman2913
    @jadeskye: 
    I didn't know there was a small amount lefties in the world :O
    super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By super_machine

As a lefty I have learned to adapt to a right handed world. Forced to be ambidexterous I believe I am much better off.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#23  Edited By Icemael

I think we can all agree that killing all the lefties in the world is the best solution. I mean, do we really want people who can't play the 3DS living amongst us? Going to school with our kids? Taking our jobs? 

Yeah, I didn't think so.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jadeskye
    @Iceman2913 said:
    " @jadeskye:  I didn't know there was a small amount lefties in the world :O "
    well...if you think 600 million people is a small amount XP
    Vade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By Vade

Fuck lefties, I was a lefty and I was CURED. Now I'm a NORMAL HUMAN BEING using my right hand.

Seriously though, I think they got you covered somehow.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.