Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

Should I buy a 3ds?

SoleVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SoleVillain

For some reason the last generation of handhelds didn't really do it for me. So I'm a bit hesitant to jump into a 3ds purchase. The current target price drop along with a B2G1 deal is ridiculously appealing. It's also hard to pass up portable versions of two of my favorite games, mgs3 and Zelda Oot. But I have some worries keeping me back. The system seemed to be an enormous flop for a while. Nintendo's sporadic decisions have me a little uneasy. Drastic price drop, Frankenstick, Icarus stand, etc. Also the state of portable gaming moving toward 99 cent idevice games makes me wonder how long dedicated portable gaming consoles will last. Also, I have a mild lazy eye eye, so 3d .... Sort of works for me. I tend to avoid 3d movies due to eye strain. So basically I have until Saturday to capitalize on target's deal, so I'm curious to know all of your opinions.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

@SoleVillain said:

For some reason the last generation of handhelds didn't really do it for me.

I was going to say "Is Fire Emblem: Kakusei in English, yet", but now that I know you've never owned a DS, I'm going to force you to buy one of the damn things.

freewilly5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By freewilly5

What is up with all these "should I buy a 3ds" threads, just look at the games dude. 3DS has quite a few games coming out this summer, but I'm sure Vita will have some great games too. I prefer 3ds because I had a lot of DS games to play. It's easy to turn off the 3d on 3ds by the way, that's how I play.

SoleVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SoleVillain

Vita is way too expensive to me.

SoleVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SoleVillain

It's more about 3ds or nothing. I can't justify vita cost.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By kindgineer

You can have mine for $75.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hunkulese

@SoleVillain: It's seems you have a lot of the information mixed up. First off mgs3 does not work well on the 3DS and it's not an enjoyable experience. It also wasn't a flop. It sold well before the price drop and even better afterwards. People didn't go insane over it like they did for the Wii but it was still successful. People were mainly disappointed due to the lack of games for the first six months. I don't really see why the Icarus stand would be a negative against Nintendo. It's for one game, it's to prevent wrist strain and it's free. If it's that offensive to you skip Kid Icarus. There's nothing to support the fact that portable gaming is moving toward 99 cent games. Yes they make a lot of money because there are more iphones in the wild but there will always be a market for real games on dedicated gaming devices. There are hardly any real games on the iPhone that are actually enjoyable to play and there are only certain types of games that can even work properly with touch controls. The 3DS is here to stay.

There is finally a decent selection of games available for the 3DS so you may as well buy one.

SoleVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SoleVillain

For 75 bucks I would just buy one lol

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#9  Edited By jacksukeru

Not sure I could recommend a purchase with the current lineup in mind, but since it's backwards compatible maybe you should look to see if there are any DS games you want that would make one more worth getting.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By benspyda

I like mine. I don't play handhelds much but the couple games I have for it are pretty great. Also can't wait for Kid Icarus to come in the mail. I'd say yes get it because its price point is pretty reasonable now and more games will come.

I'll wait for a significant price drop before I even consider a Vita, plus I have zero interest in any of the games on it yet.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By landon

Don't get MGS3 on that thing. It sucks. And if you are only going to get OoT, then I'd say wait until there are more games you have interest in.

awadnin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By awadnin

@Landon said:

Don't get MGS3 on that thing. It sucks. And if you are only going to get OoT, then I'd say wait until there are more games you have interest in.

This.

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Ace829

@SoleVillain: In regards to Metal Gear Solid 3, I think you're better off buying the HD MGS Collection since it has the best version of that game along with MGS2 and Peace Walker. Now if you love Nintendo's first party games then you have plenty to choose from like Kid Icarus, OoT like you said, Luigi's Mansion 2, Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, and Star Fox 64. Then you have the eShop which has been on a roll in the past few months with great games like Pushmo, Mighty Switch Force, Link's Awakening DX, and Sakura Samurai.

If you're also into JRPGs you have Devil Survivor Overclocked, Tales of the Abyss, and the upcoming Kingdom Hearts game. So yeah, 3DS is a great purchase at this point especially if there's a deal you want to take advantage of.

SoleVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SoleVillain

If I got one I would most definitely get Mario 3d land, Zelda, kid Icarus, and possibly resident evil revaluations. And bummer about mgs3

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15  Edited By jonnyboy

If you have two working eyes and dig plumbers, then sure why not?

SoleVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SoleVillain

Lol, I technically have 1 working eye.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By GunstarRed

I'm not sure why youre so interested in the 3DS when the normal DS didn't appeal to you, but I think it's a cool machine with a bunch of cool games youre unable/unlikely to get anywhere else. That coupled with a ton of awesome games from the last gen you really, probably should try. yeah, get one.

Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By Julmust

Get one.

SoleVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SoleVillain

I think a lot of it had to do with not being able to afford original ds software, having since gone from high school to a full time job.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Do any of the games interest you?  If so buy one. If not don't.

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DoctorTran

After hearing that there will be an Adventure Time 3DS game, I got the urge to buy one. Been mulling it over for about two weeks, and I bought one last night. I grabbed it at Gamestop because it came with a free copy of Tetris Axis. P{robably gonna end up picking up a Pokemon game of some form, as I have never played one. In fact this is my first Nintendo handheld.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By GunslingerPanda

@DoctorTran said:

After hearing that there will be an Adventure Time 3DS game, I got the urge to buy one.

Uh-oh, the Adventure Time game is a DS game. Link:

Update: The Adventure Time series creator has been saying over Twitter that this Adventure Time game is indeed real, but will be coming to the DS and not 3DS. A disappointing choice if you ask me but I will get into that in a second. Below is the comment where he confirmed it is on DS:

To be clear y’all, it’s a DS game, it’s gonna be hot to trot like a horse.. a DS horse..

Don't worry though, the 3DS is awesome.

OP:

Go buy one now.

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DoctorTran

Hey. The 3DS still plays DS games so it's still gonna work out! Besides. I still want to play stuff like paper Mario 3ds and such.

jeffrud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#24  Edited By jeffrud

@ck1nd: You still doing this offer, hombre?

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BestUsernameEver

If you're asking us and not impressed by the game library, then don't.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By reisz
    ChromaWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes you should.:)

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. The 3DS is awesome.

tonyp2121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By tonyp2121

I'd say yes, I only really have three 3DS games (Mario Kart 7, Starfox 64 3DS, and Kingdom Hearts DDD) but I still have put a ton of hours into the games above. I still have to get Super Mario 3D Land, the new Luigi's Mansion, and Monster Hunter 3. Plus there are a lot of games coming in the future that seem crazy fun (new Pokemon, new Pheonix Wright game, etc). Go for it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.