Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

So I got a 3ds XL, what's next?

Cleric22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I finally broke down and bought a 3DS XL for a few choice games like Scribblenauts Unmasked and some virtual console titles. I guess I have a couple of questions for the community:

1. How do the Lego games handle? I'm a big fan of that series on consoles and so are my nieces.

2. As someone who has never played through a JRPG, but has played Western RPGs is there a title you can recommend?

3. Any great games that can played for 10 minutes at a time?

4. I played around with the single card concept with a friend who has a DS, any good titles there?

5. What's the best Professor Layton game to start with?

6. Finally, just tell me your favorites. I've never played Pokemon, Animal Crossing or Final Fantasy before but hey, I might love them right?

I should also note this is my first handheld in well over 15 years so Feel free to add any titles from the DS as well. I'm a particular fan of Superheroes and anything with a great artistic direction.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
    Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Just bought a 3DS too and I had never had any portable console. I would recommend checking on Ebay for old good DS titles. Mine were Picross 3D (it's a good 10 minutes game, check also Pushmo and Crashmo if you like puzzle games), Bowser's inside story (good entry level JRPG) and I would recommend Ghost Trick if you like story-based game.

Enjoy your new device !

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#3  Edited By BeachThunder

I wouldn't play a Scribblenauts game anywhere other than PC. A keyboard is essential for those games, given that the whole game revolves around typing.

I would recommend Shadow Wars - A really great tactics game from the creator of the original X-Com.

Start with the first Layton game...

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By MEATBALL

2. This is a fairly loose fit, but I recommend giving Fire Emblem Awakening a shot, it's turn-based strategy but has (j)RPG elements and an entertaining story. It's an excellent game and very friendly to newcomers to the series. If you're after something more akin to a WRPG there's not really anything available...save Heroes of Ruin, a Diablo-style action RPG.

3. Super Mario 3D Land is actually pretty nicely designed for 10 minute bursts. Pushmo/Crashmo are also probably worth a look (though I'm embarassed to admit I'm sure to have spent more than ten minutes on multiple puzzles.)

6. Personal favourites in no particular order: Kid Icarus Uprising, Fire Emblem Awakening, Super Mario 3D Land, Paper Mario Sticker Star, Ocarina of Time 3D, Pokemon Y, Mario & Luigi Dream Team, Luigi's Mansion 2, Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney Dual Destinies, Crashmo

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Get that new Zelda game, maybe Luigi's Mansion, Fire Emblem, Shin Megami Tensei IV, and Monster Hunter IV whenever that comes out.

lumley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#6  Edited By lumley

2. Fire Emblem: Awakening, on of the best games out this year

3. Pushmo and Animal Crossing: New Leaf

5. I've only completed the first one, you can probably pick it up for really cheap so that might not be a bad idea.

6. All the 3DS games I've got are 2013 releases and they're all amazing. In order I'd probably say my favourites are: Fire Emblem: Awakening, The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Pokémon X/Y, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon and Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies - they're all in my top 10 games of the year so far. Judging by the critical response, Super Mario 3D Land sounds like a must get, I'm going to get it soon.

I've only had my 3DS XL since Animal Crossing came out (Yes, I bought a 3DS XL for Animal Crossing, don't judge me) and it's probably been my best purchase decision of the year. I've spent 100+ hours on Animal Crossing, 50+ hours on Pokemon, 30+ hours on Fire Emblem and 20+ hours on Luigi's Mansion.

alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By alanm26v5

3. Picross 3d for the original DS is perfect for 5-15 minute chunks if you haven't played it yet.

6. Zelda is quickly becoming my favorite. Pokemon X/Y was great too.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Senran Kagura Burst.

StingerMK2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I just got hold of Super Mario 3D Land and the new Zelda this weekend, and both are superb games, I'v played far too much of my DS in the last 48 hours

I'd also recommend Steamworld Dig, it's a fun mining game, i finished it in about 3 sittings, but it was well worth the time

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Superkenon

Give Etrian Odyssey IV a gander (or, heck, any of its predecessors if you want to dip into the regular DS library). It's a JRPG, but it has a lot of elements in it that remind me of the likes of Wizardry, with its turn-based combat, or Diablo II in its character creation. It's definitely not for everyone, but it's worth researching.

joey2683

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By joey2683

"Play The Game"

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Animal Crossing: New Leaf is a good game for playing in 10 minute bursts and will keep you hooked for a long time.

The Virtual console may be worth your time. I think you just missed a sale on all the NES and Game Boy Color Zeldas, but I believe the current sale is for Megaman games. Although, I've never paid for a virtual console game on 3DS because Nintendo likes to give them away with their underrated Club Nintendo service!

There are a few great DS jrpgs. Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside story is a great light jrpg with dynamic turn based combat. The SNES classic, Chrono trigger is also available for DS.

sjosz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cleric22:

1. I haven't played any of the LEGO games on 3DS, only on console. Second hand information and reviews state that the handheld versions of the LEGO games are similar but less expansive.

2. Fire Emblem: Awakening is a great game. Strategy, some RPG systems in there as well.

3. Super Mario 3D Land, New Super Mario Bros 3DS, Donkey Kong Country Returns 3DS. (in the sense that you can play a single level at a time) For downloadable-only there are Pushmo and Crashmo, which are both great for 10 minute spans.

4. I have no experience with this feature.

5. I like the Unwound Future one, it's a smoother experience than the first one.

6. Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Animal Crossing, Pokemon X, Super Mario 3D Land.

Cleric22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Cleric22

@beachthunder:

I can get behind Shadow War, I'm a huge Tom Clancy fan and Xcom fan. Does the first prof. layton game have a subtitle?

Cleric22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lumley: Fire Emblem keeps hitting peoples lists, going to have to check it out despite the last JRPG I played was Eternal Sonata at a friends house. I guess I'm not a huge fan of the stroy telling style but I do love turn based combat,

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By Superkenon

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.