Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

The 3DS and it's region locking.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey everyone,

I'm pretty heavily considering getting a 3DS (New XL) after my exams. I will be getting it mainly for older 3DS/DS exclusives, such as SMT: Strange Journey, and the Castlevania games that were on the DS. Getting these games specific to my Australian/European region is quite a hassle.

From my knowledge, the DS was not a region locked system, but the 3DS is. Is the 3DS capable of locking me out of playing DS games not purchased within my region?

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anything that's just a DS game will work on any 3DS. Anything that is a DSi game will only work on a matching region 3DS. So Pokemon Black/White which used enhanced features of the DSi will only work on a EU 3DS if the game was bought in the EU.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jesus_phish: Thanks for the succinct answer. Appreciate it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.