Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

The 3DS Is Dying

chemystery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

Edited By chemystery

Unfortunately over break I discovered that my original Teal 3DS is starting to go. The right trigger isn't functioning properly anymore. It works about 20% of the time I hit it. It makes playing Monster Hunter Tri and Ocarina of Time since it's the block button. I'm pretty let down, I'll have to ask for a 3DS XL for Christmas now.

Despite that setback I have still been pursuing my Fire Emblem Awakening Campaign. I just landed on the other continent and things are finally starting to go more smoothly for me. Most of my units are second tier now and they are getting pretty high in level. Frederick is almost at max level so I'll have to Second Seal him soon just not sure what's the best way for abilities and stats. I'll look into it but if someone wants to tell me that'd be great too.

The steam autumn sale is going on if you haven't seen it. I bought Brave New World for 50% off. I played a real short match (I lost) but I can already tell that it totally reworks the game. It's Almost unrecognizable. New units, New policy trees, and new mechanics in general. Mainly I bemoan the fact that getting to my adviser counsel is harder than it was before. That military advice is imperative, I love knowing how strong other empires are compared to me.

Go check out the sale if you haven't. Happy Gaming.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By Marz

bah... thought it was gonna be another thread about nintendo dying as a company or something...

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By colourful_hippie

I like the misleading use of "The" instead of using "My"

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@colourful_hippie said:

I like the misleading use of "The" instead of using "My"

Indeed.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Click bait? Click bait.

Blommer4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That title man

chemystery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BisonHero

I know it's too late, but Frederick has really bad stats for a level 1 Great Knight. If you level up Sully/Stahl to 20 and promote to Great Knight, they're guaranteed to have much better stats. Promoting gives you a bunch of stats in the first place, so if you remove those from Fred, it's like he promoted when all his stats were single digits.

It's appalling how little XP Frederick earns, when I later went back to level him up and see some support conversations. He's about as good as like a lvl 20-15 cavalier, but he gets the XP of a lvl 21 unit. Also his level ups were incredibly poor for me.

On the other hand, Frederick is basically Carson from Downton Abbey, so that's kinda cool.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@chemystery: Your unfortunate title aside, that actually sounds like something that happened to my DSLite. In my case, it just turned out to be a little dusty/dirty under the trigger, so I got it working again by blowing it out (a highly scientific cleaning method). Still works to this day.

chemystery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By chemystery

@bisonhero: I recently read that. I am starting to see signs of his decay but he has some decent abilities so I thought he might be worth a reclass at least.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

Guess it's time for an XL then!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

I know it's too late, but Frederick has really bad stats for a level 1 Great Knight. If you level up Sully/Stahl to 20 and promote to Great Knight, they're guaranteed to have much better stats. Promoting gives you a bunch of stats in the first place, so if you remove those from Fred, it's like he promoted when all his stats were single digits.

It's appalling how little XP Frederick earns, when I later went back to level him up and see some support conversations. He's about as good as like a lvl 20-15 cavalier, but he gets the XP of a lvl 21 unit. Also his level ups were incredibly poor for me.

On the other hand, Frederick is basically Carson from Downton Abbey, so that's kinda cool.

That's pretty standard for a Jagen unit, actually. Great in the early game, not so much later on.

chemystery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By chemystery

@superkenon: Thanks I tried that but I think it'll work better if I use a can of compressed air rather than my lungs. :p

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@colourful_hippie: @joeyravn:

Sorry. I meant it as a play on "The Hawk Is Dying" A bad Paul Giamatti movie. Sorry folks.

Lol dude, you quoted a Paul Giamatti movie? You just made my day here.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: Yes, we both know that, but not everyone is ArbitraryWater, so the fact that he was using Fred at all meant I didn't see much point in referring to Jagens. Not a commonly known term.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Click bait!!! Kotaku style :p

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Love this clickbait hahaha.

Alright well, that new Zelda 3DSXL bundle is spankin nice, christmas is the time to hook yourself up with that! Also, I wonder if you can open up the 3DS and see if you can clean the trigger area and make it work again. Could just be some dust and grime and cheeto dust in there, as we tend to do.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chemystery said:

@bisonhero: I recently read that. I am starting to see signs of his decay but he has some decent abilities so I thought he might be worth a reclass at least.

I don't actually know that his stat growths are terrible or anything, I think I was just unlucky. At this point, if you've used him a bunch and he is useful, might as well keep on using him.

I was just pointing out that he basically requires a lot of grinding relative to how poor all of this stats are. Most promoted units (assuming you don't use Master Seal until level 20) end up with decent stats after the promotion stat boost, at level 1 of their advanced class (a lot of stats are probably high teens, maybe even low 20s). Compared to Frederick, where his best stats (like Def and Str, or something) start out at around like 13-15, and he is also level 1 of his advanced class. So he gains XP as if he has gone through all of these levelups, but his starts aren't realistic for a level 1 advanced class.

Most other units you get throughout the game that start at a higher level actually have kind of reasonable stats. The starter knight in Fire Emblem is always kind like this; they have to gimp him, because if his stats were actually appropriate, then he would just be broken and players would use him all the time because he's like 15 levels ahead of everyone else. As is, Frederick is like fake 15 levels ahead, and gains XP like he's 15 levels ahead, but he's really only like 5-10 levels ahead, especially when you take into account that he sorta missed out on all the free stats that a master seal usually gives you.

Anyway, this is still one of the dumbest traditions in Fire Emblem. As much as I said "if [high level starting knight] was actually good, players would use him too much because he's so far ahead", new players still use him a bunch even though he's only slightly ahead in stats. I get that sometimes for story reasons they want a "veteran" character in the squad who looks more competent, but it ends up being this weird thing that tricks players into using this crutch character who is actually kinda "behind" in terms of what stats they should have for their level. In this game it doesn't matter so much because you can grind your ass off, but the Gamecube Fire Emblems aren't like that and have finite chapters, and have some characters you should use as little as possible because enemies are so limited and it's better to train up low level units than have your high level characters hog all the kills.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Unfortunately over break I discovered that my original Teal 3DS is starting to go. The right trigger isn't functioning properly anymore. It works about 20% of the time I hit it. It makes playing Monster Hunter Tri and Ocarina of Time since it's the block button. I'm pretty let down, I'll have to ask for a 3DS XL for Christmas now.

Despite that setback I have still been pursuing my Fire Emblem Awakening Campaign. I just landed on the other continent and things are finally starting to go more smoothly for me. Most of my units are second tier now and they are getting pretty high in level. Frederick is almost at max level so I'll have to Second Seal him soon just not sure what's the best way for abilities and stats. I'll look into it but if someone wants to tell me that'd be great too.

The steam autumn sale is going on if you haven't seen it. I bought Brave New World for 50% off. I played a real short match (I lost) but I can already tell that it totally reworks the game. It's Almost unrecognizable. New units, New policy trees, and new mechanics in general. Mainly I bemoan the fact that getting to my adviser counsel is harder than it was before. That military advice is imperative, I love knowing how strong other empires are compared to me.

Go check out the sale if you haven't. Happy Gaming.

You may wish to be more careful with your topic lines in the future. LIke many, I was set to rip you a new one for starting another "Nintendo is doomed" thread.

Onto the topic at hand. Unless you find a bundle with a game you want (such as the Link Between Worlds bundle) or wish to move to a 2DS or 3DSXL, you may want to consider getting your system repaired. For all the issues people have with the Big N, their repair service has never been among them. At least for the US, it's affordable (around the price of a console game when I had my old DS repaired), and the turnaround is super quick. Just be sure to tell them AHEAD OF TIME if you have any digital titles that need transferring, as they are bound to hardware and not to account.

Seriously though, there's no reason to make that injured soldier march in that state. Get some help for that poor guy!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.