Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

What are you feeling in the 3DS department?

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By fobwashed

I picked one up at launch, and had some fun with it but really aren't using it at all anymore. I'm a pretty avid gamer but at this point, without looking at a release schedule, have no idea what's coming and aren't excited for any titles at all. I've played most of the big titles on the system (Resident Evil, Mario 3D, Zelda OoT, Kid Icarus) having finished some, not most, and a smattering of the middle titles (Ghost Recon, Pilot Wings, various DSiWare) but by the large, aren't feeling it like I did in the heyday of the DS and DSi.

Anyone feeling somewhat disappointed w/the 3DS like I am right now? Anyone actually happy w/the system and looking forward to some games? If you're lookin forward to some stuff, what games? I want to want to not feel like this system is dead in the water.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Winternet

My 3DS department is in shambles right now. It's flooded and there are bats down there.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By BestUsernameEver

Bad, just bad.

For extra context: I have only been playing Mario kart for months, and every time I check the eShop or gamefly for more 3DS stuff, I can't find anything good. So right now it's my MK7 machine until luigis mansion 2 comes out, and that wont be for awhile.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#4  Edited By SMTDante89
    BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BrockNRolla

I think they've put out some really solid titles. Main stays like Mario Kart 7 and some of the other first party stuff (Like Mario Tennis Open) are very entertaining and great whether you're getting in 20 minutes on a commute or sitting on a couch to play. Of course, I'm playing a lot more Diablo 3 and other console base stuff as well, so it's only part of my gaming diet.

I think E3 is going to be important though. They've got to show what the future of the system will be like because right now it seems to be headed in no particular direction and is only marginally interesting. I mean, compared to the Vita, it's doing gangbusters, but that's not saying much. I think if Nintendo wants success like they had with the DS, they're going to really have to show a strong software lineup at E3, and hopefully not a hardware revision.

Give the hardware another year Nintendo! Seriously, no revision yet! (But I wouldn't be surprised if they did that too.)

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By ProfessorEss

Regardless of how iffy (or shitty if you prefer) iOS gaming is it's just good enough to completely destroy any interest I have in a stand-alone handheld. 

And almost every man, woman and child I know seems to be in a similar boat, or on their way towards said boat. 

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By DeF

I've got enough to play.

Still gotta finish Revelaitons and Kid Icarus, just got Crush 3D, Mutant Mudds is gonna be released in Europe finally this month, I still got Ghost Recon Shadow Wars to play, Heroes of Ruin is coming this month, Paper Mario and Luigi's Mansion are probably getting release dates next week, chances for a 3DS Zelda at E3 are also quite high so I don't see a problem in the 3DS department right now.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Animasta

SMT IV will be good, undoubtedly.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@ProfessorEss said:

Regardless of how iffy (or shitty if you prefer) iOS gaming is it's just good enough to completely destroy any interest I have in a stand-alone handheld. And almost every man, woman and child I know seems to be in a similar boat, or on their way towards said boat.

I never really understood that argument. It's like saying Facebook games makes Steam pointless. Sure, casual gamers, who only play the odd bit of Angry Birds while waiting for a bus might not have a need for a handheld console, but for those actually looking for a deeper gaming experience, there's nothing on iOS/Android that comes even remotely close.

That said, it's hard to get excited for the current 3DS library and hopefully Nintendo pull out some big guns at E3. I'm really looking forward to Animal Crossing, Paper Mario and an inevitable Pokemon game, but there's not a whole lot jumping out at me right now and it's not looking very likely that any of those games will see a release this year.

I'd be happy enough with a port of Majora's Mask.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Jrinswand
    @WinterSnowblind said:

@ProfessorEss said:

Regardless of how iffy (or shitty if you prefer) iOS gaming is it's just good enough to completely destroy any interest I have in a stand-alone handheld. And almost every man, woman and child I know seems to be in a similar boat, or on their way towards said boat.

I never really understood that argument. It's like saying Facebook games makes Steam pointless. Sure, casual gamers, who only play the odd bit of Angry Birds while waiting for a bus might not have a need for a handheld console, but for those actually looking for a deeper gaming experience, there's nothing on iOS/Android that comes even remotely close.

That's just plain false. There are plenty of games on iOS that are "deep gaming experiences." Many of them (such as, say, Final Fantasy Tactics) are even console ports of incredibly complicated, complex video games.
    jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#11  Edited By jacksukeru

I'm not playing it at the moment but am looking forward to that next Kingdom Hearts game and NSMB 2. I'm also interested in that Theatrhythm game, since I like FF music and enjoyed Ouendan so am hoping that'll be similar. There's the Rhythm Thief game that seem to have gotten some good rep but I'm not sure about that one yet. Paper Mario could be great, could be a disappointment like "Super" was, either way I'm keeping my eye on it.

There's some stuff, in other words.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By GunstarRed

I adore the 3DS, I don't feel like I need a million games for it because I have consoles and a computer. There are a bunch of games released that are good now, and in the case of Kid Icarus and Mario outstanding.

I'm excited for Luigi's Mansion and Wayforwards Adventure Time game and I'm sure there will be a few announcements in a couple of days time (hopefully a 2D metroid and/or Castlevania)

It seems really weird how people complain about no games for the system when it has only been out just over a year. I remember struggling to find anything i wanted to play outside of Gears, Viva Pinata and a handful of others the first year I had my 360... And even less the first year I had a PS3. With games as fully featured and memorable as Kid Icarus this early in the systems life I can't help but feel we are going to see some amazing games on the 3DS.

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Jrinswand: Okay, tell me when they can release a game like Super Mario, Uncharted or Halo on the iOS and not have it play like shit. Fair enough, adventure and puzzle games work well enough on the system and I'm sure certain RPG's could too. But the same is still true of Facebook and browser based games, so why do we need PC gaming on Steam or even consoles for that matter?

Don't get me wrong, there's definitely a place for iOS/Andoird in the gaming market. I just don't see it as the replacement for handheld consoles some keep claiming it is.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By Hizang

I got mine at launch but i don't know why, the only game I have really played was Super 3D Land, not really anything else, not even Mario Kart. I almost regret buying it, but then I think soon there will be a new Pokemon game on 3DS and it will all be worth it.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Jrinswand
    @WinterSnowblind said:

@Jrinswand: Okay, tell me when they can release a game like Super Mario, Uncharted or Halo on the iOS and not have it play like shit. Fair enough, adventure and puzzle games work well enough on the system and I'm sure certain RPG's could too. But the same is still true of Facebook and browser based games, so why do we need PC gaming on Steam or even consoles for that matter?

Don't get me wrong, there's definitely a place for iOS/Andoird in the gaming market. I just don't see it as the replacement for handheld consoles some keep claiming it is.

Why would you want to play Super Mario, Uncharted, or Halo on iOS? Those games really don't play to the strengths of the system, which is why you don't see those types of games on it. Anyway, I don't know why you'd want to play those types of games on any sort of handheld gaming device, with the possible exception of Super Mario.

I don't understand your argument about Facebook games and computer gaming at all so I'll let it alone. I will say, though, that I have never heard anybody herald Facebook gaming as the destroyer of PC gaming as a whole.

As somebody who owns a DS and is still rather fond of it, I'd have to say that I agree with assessments that smartphones have all but destroyed handheld gaming. That's why the 3DS and the Vita are pretty much dead in the water at this point. No, I don't want your numbers or news articles to prove that I'm wrong. I'm just talking about the general consumer's attitude towards such devices. Just listen to the Bombcast or 8-4 Play and see what those guys are saying (and not saying) about the situation.
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By iamjohn

@Fobwashed said:

aren't feeling it like I did in the heyday of the DS and DSi.

The 3DS is barely a year old. Do you remember the line-up of the DS at this point in its life? Because it wasn't fucking pretty, that's for sure.

TheKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By TheKing

When I bought my 3ds at launch I tried to keep my expectations realistic. My Nintendo hardware for years now has been all first party games all the time, so if I'm judging it strictly as that I can't say I've been disappointed at all.

theoldhouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By theoldhouse

Honestly I think it's pretty great. I didn't pick it up until ocarina and the price cut but there has been a fairly steady release of quality games since. In fact I still need to pick up kid icarus and resident evil !

The eshop is pretty great too (for nintendo) although living in europe means I'm missing out on a bunch of cool games for no valid reason.

Sometimes I don't bother with the 3D though. But the graphics are pretty damn great and while they may not be up to Vita standards, that's a console that will have to make serious strides to prove it's worth.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#19  Edited By Dagbiker

My 3ds Department has staffing like the mart in Clerks.

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Jrinswand: The general consumers attitude towards Call of Duty is that it's lame and has become stale.. yet it'll go on to be the best selling game of this year, bar none. So yes, word of mouth may be telling you the 3DS is dying, but the massive sales numbers mean a lot more.

As for my Facebook comments, I was simply trying to compare the situation to something similar that most people would be against. It can just as easily be argued that platforms like Steam and GFWL have become just as meaningless as handheld consoles, now that we've gotten to the point that gaming can be done via internet browsers, something that everyone has. I don't see how that situation is any different from mobile phones vs handheld consoles.

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
    Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was DS-only last gen and loved it, but the 3DS just doesn't appeal to me in the same way. Maybe a hardware revision in a few years will do it.  
     I'm going to defect and go Vita I'm afraid. 

Jazzycola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By Jazzycola

@Hizang said:

I got mine at launch but i don't know why, the only game I have really played was Super 3D Land, not really anything else, not even Mario Kart. I almost regret buying it, but then I think soon there will be a new Pokemon game on 3DS and it will all be worth it.

Same can be said for me. I got mine at launch played Pokemon Black on it for 3-4 months then didn't touch it for 2 months till I got Super Mario 3d Land. I haven't touched mine since finishing that game. Just waiting for another Pokemon game. Though, their announcement that the next Pokemon game is a DS game kinda disappointed me even if I can still play it on my 3DS.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#23  Edited By BeachThunder

Currently I'm playing Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones; looking forward to getting the new Layton. Possibly NSMB2.

I'm disappointed by the physical releases; which, honestly, isn't too much of a problem, since the eShop is the real main attraction.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.