Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

Wii U Getting a Price Drop, Also There Is a Nintendo 2DS Now [UPDATE]

ProfessorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

So instead of a meaningful redesign, we get this? STILL no right analog stick, as if they think that awful add on saved the day.

Icaria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#352  Edited By Icaria

As someone who can't see the 3D effect and who finds the moire effects on the top 3DS screen really distracting (and downright unusable on the 3DSXL), 2DS makes sense. It is also about time they got rid of the hinge, which has been a common point of failure since the first DS.

Why they decided to make it look like an early 3DS prototype in the age of consumer electronics as 'lifestyle devices', I don't know. Even young children (or the parents actually coughing up the dough) would have to be put off by something that looks so god damn cheap and nasty. I also can't imagine the distance between the shoulder buttons and D-pad is all that practical for small hands or comfortable for large hands, and not being able to cup your hand under the device is probably going to result in a lot of dropped 2DSes when held one-handed while using the stylus or when enthusiastically pounding the shoulder buttons.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

The 2DS? That has to be the most ridiculous looking design ever. Seriously, it's the friggin' Game Boy Micro all over again!

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

The 2DS? That has to be the most ridiculous looking design ever. Seriously, it's the friggin' Game Boy Micro all over again!

AMG300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#356  Edited By AMG300

i thought the 2ds was a practical joke and just making fun of the 3ds or something. i guess this is targeted at little kids under 10 but even then theres cheap android tablets that you can get a kid that dont need much skill or button pressing that would be easier for them. it looks awkward like nintendos other 3d console back in the day! haha

also if they took out the gamepad on the wii u, couldnt the price be even lower!? like maybe $150. that would be acceptable and sales would go up seeing as how it would be closer to the original wii but in hd, not saying that they have to drop the gamepad completely but let people decide whether they want that extra feature or just a regular controller like the pro one.

patrickcangame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@icantbestopped: I dunno, just couldn't get into it knowing that I wouldn't be using the big feature that it was designed around. Especially with all the talk about how games like Pushmo and Mario 3D were greatly enhanced by it.

Cubical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The 2ds has to be a april fools joke and they are going to keep saying it is real until after april 2014.

Cubical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@benmo316 said:

@colonelt: now's a good time to bring back cargo pants

Cargo pants never fucking left.

shodan2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

If they bring back the clamshell lid for the 2DS i'd bite. My DSLite is getting way long in the tooth. Or if they re-released the DSLite, I'd buy a new one of those.

nok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#363  Edited By nok

OMG gamers this is not for you. It's for pokeballs, it's for the kids. Shut the fuck up

nok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OMG gamers this is not for you. It's for pokeballs, it's for the kids. Shut the fuck up

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great news for me; I am blind from one eye so I can’t see the 3D anyway... Now if only it could have a 14" screen.

Xeirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@sidfiou said:

Considering you can buy a refurbished 3DS on Nintendo's official site for $120, the only reason why anyone should want this is for the design.

And boy, what a design.

Thanks for the heads up, never occurred to me to look there :P

Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow. That is a really...really stupid design.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#369  Edited By development

If I didn't see this article and saw someone using this in public, I'd think they had a bootleg handheld. If they then said, "no, really, it's called the '2DS," I think I'd be even more incredulous and would probably be in tears laughing.

tclangham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Soilworley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This 2DS looks pretty weird. Nintendo is really acting weird this generation. I think senility is setting in.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.