Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

You guys...should I buy an XL?

capnhaggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

damnit...I've had a regular sized ads since launch and it works perfectly fine, but with black friday sales coming around I am finding myself more inclined to buy an xl than ever before. I love the screen size and the extra battery life would be a huge plus, but all told I don't play my 3DS as much as I would like to. I think one of the reasons is because I really don't like the size of it all that much! Gahh my spending habits are the worst, so as I often do, I am leaving the decision up to the internet...Should I buy a 3DS XL?

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@capnhaggis said:

damnit...I've had a regular sized ads since launch and it works perfectly fine, but with black friday sales coming around I am finding myself more inclined to buy an xl than ever before. I love the screen size and the extra battery life would be a huge plus, but all told I don't play my 3DS as much as I would like to. I think one of the reasons is because I really don't like the size of it all that much! Gahh my spending habits are the worst, so as I often do, I am leaving the decision up to the internet...Should I buy a 3DS XL?

I was in the same boat I particularly didn't like how uncomfortable the 3ds felt in my hand and I barely played it at times because of it. I went ahead and purchased this a few months back, the 3ds hand grip and it worked like a charm. Fits my hand perfectly close to in size to what the pro controller for wii / wii u would feel like in my hand and I've been playing me 3ds more since. If its all about the feel of the 3ds I'd recommend going with this and saving yourself some money. If not that then yeah I see the benefits of XL and money isn't an option type thing I see an upgrade as quite reasonable. Plus that new gold 3DS XL bundle with Zelda is out there.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By BisonHero

@capnhaggis: I mean, yeah, you should, but moving your saves and eShop purchases over is impossible (or maybe just an enormous pain? I don't think there is any way to just deauthorize your original 3DS and transfer it all to the new one). But yeah, the screen is really nice.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By zidd

@bisonhero said:

@capnhaggis: I mean, yeah, you should, but moving your saves and eShop purchases over is impossible (or maybe just an enormous pain? I don't think there is any way to just deauthorize your original 3DS and transfer it all to the new one). But yeah, the screen is really nice.

The 3DS has system transfer. You can use it to bring over your files and remaining wallet balance. It does take a bit though.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By mike

@bisonhero: There is a system transfer process that moves everything over and formats the old device, but of course one has to have the old 3DS physically in their possession since purchases are tied to the hardware and so can't be redownloaded like with...well, every single other digital distrubtion platform in the world.

I still don't understand how Nintendo can get some things so right yet so many others completely wrong. Oh well.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@mb: @zidd: OK, yep, my bad. I was thinking more of how screwed you are if your 3DS is stolen.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@bisonhero: Yeah, it's really unfortunate how Nintendo chose to handle eShop purchases for their handhelds. I did buy Pushmo on my 3DS XL but that's it for me, I am a big fan of digital distribution but not when it's implementation is botched this completely. It's a great console and I love the XL (Perfect for my larger hands and the screen size is amazing for a handheld) but the eShop part of it is a real drag.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

@bisonhero: I've heard if you contact Nintendo with a police report for a stolen 3DS they reimburse you for your downloaded games.

On topic I got a Zelda 3DS and gave my old one to a friend. I like it, the screen size is great and it fits better in my hands, I would sometimes get hand cramps after extended sessions with the old one.

Edit: Site ate my post somehow?

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I got the Pokemon X and Y themed one in October and I love it. The screen size makes a (no pun intended) huge difference, and I love all the minor stuff like longer battery life and the stylus placement.

Just be sure to hold onto your current 3DS until you transfer everything to your XL. (Should you choose to buy one)

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I would say no if you don't play the 3DS very much. The XL does not make the games better just gives you more screen room.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.