Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 64

Platform »

The successor to the SNES was Nintendo's entry in the fifth home console generation, as well as the company's first system designed specifically to handle polygonal 3D graphics.

How to troubleshoot an N64

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I just found my N64 in a box. It hadn't been used in about a decade but I set it up none the less. You can switch on and the red light comes on but that seems to be it.

Is there any way to see what componant is busted without buying replacements for each at random?

How likely is it that it's a cable issue rather than something inside console?

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
    deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

99% of the time it's because your cartridge is dirty. It can look clean, but probably isn't. Take a Q-tip, dab it in some rubbing alcohol, clean the cartridge with the Q-tip, try again.

Also keep in mind that if you don't have a game cartridge in, the N64 doesn't do anything.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Hayt

I tried a few differenr carts but I didnt clean any. So just some rubbing alc on the green and gold connector bit?

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
    deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

That should work yeah.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rub the N64 across your face. Be sure to take extra care to get all mashed into your eyeballs and mouth. Bonus points for rubbing it over any open wounds. If you do not contract a disease, than the console is likely broken and should be replaced.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I kind of kick mine and slap the top and it usually gets to working. Sometimes I will blow into the top slot to dust it and then go blind due to the dust not having anywhere to go but up..

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

N64s are pure Nintendium, so feel free to punch that S.O.B until games happen. (seriously, my old N64 went through hell and back and kept rolling like a champ... those things are STURDY.)

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think a solid red light means that the console is working so yeah, clean the cartridges with Isopropyl alcohol and a Q-tip. Then retest. If that still doesn't work, maybe try jiggling the video cable in different spots. If it's kinked, it might work if it finds the right position.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

An update: I noticed the AV cables were slightly damaged so I ordered a replacement off Ebay but still nothing. I've cleaned my carts with metholated spirits. Any new ideas?

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hayt

I also tried cleaning the cartridge connector bit, although it's tough to get a q-tip down in there

cbarnes86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

How is the memory pak in the front? Missing? Dirty?

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hayt

I never got the expansion pak so it still has the "do not remove this" sticker on it

I've also been googling "n64 red light no video" and this guy says it might be an issue with newer TVs but i'm dubious

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By monetarydread

Follow these steps:

1. Put on a pair of steel toed boots
    2. Set up a gopro
    3. Grab your N64
    4. Punting the device into a brick wall
    5. Repeat until it is in a 1000 pieces
    6. Post the video to Youtube
    7. Go onto Ebay and buy a new n64 because they cost $25

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even though you've cleaned contacts etc and it doesn't seem to have helped, if the console was working when it was put away, I would think it was unlikely that something would have actually broken while it was packed away.

If you want to actually try and clean the cartridge slot, a way to deal with that would be to get something flat that can actually fit the slot, like a flat ruler or a plastic card, like credit card size and get some cloth wrapped tightly around that with metho or iso alcohol on the cloth. If you do try this, just try not to use cloth that is likely to leave fluff and fibres in the cartridge slot.

If you don't have an expansion pak, there is still a jumper than sits in that slot, right? Make sure that thing is firmly seated.

Other than that, I dunno. TV on the right input? :P I can't comment on N64s and HDTVs, I got rid of my N64 a long time ago. I guess you could try it if you still have a CRT anywhere? I doubt that is a problem though.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AHA! I have solved it. It's simple really, you just need to turn the console upside down so that it's always got pressure on the cart in it. Stupid as hell but hey, I'm not complaining..

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.