Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 64

Platform »

The successor to the SNES was Nintendo's entry in the fifth home console generation, as well as the company's first system designed specifically to handle polygonal 3D graphics.

N64 Resetting Issue

thatguy0130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By thatguy0130

So I have had this system for a long time but over the past, I don't know 5 or 7 years, it has been sitting on a shelf.  Recently I found a retailer that sells old N64 games.  Now remember it was working fine before I put it up all those years ago.  So I get my trusty system down to play the new games I picked up for it and now it doesn't work.  The issue is that it just keeps resetting itself.  Obviously my first thought was overheating.  It seemed unlikely though because this was happening after maybe 3 or 5 minutes of it being on and it was not hot to the touch at all.  Nevertheless, I took it apart and cleaned out all the dust.  Still having the issue.  I took the expansion pack out and put the original in and still no dice.  I am not terribly tech efficient so I can't really disect the inside of the system to see if anything has gone bad, but it doesn't look like anything is broken.  It looks a heck of alot better then the inside of my NES looks.  So I was hoping that maybe someone knows of the potential problem.  Oh and for the sake of saying it, I did try other games.  Games that I know were working before I put them up.  The issue is definately coming from the system in some way.  Any ideas? 

EDIT: It is definately not 3 to 5 minutes, it is more like 1 minute if even that long. 
    BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By BrockNRolla

Call Nintendo. They probably still offer tech support, right? :)

thatguy0130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By thatguy0130
    @BrockNRolla:  
    HA! Yea that would probably be an interesting phone call.  Maybe it is still under warrenty......
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @thatguy0130 said:
    @BrockNRolla:  HA! Yea that would probably be an interesting phone call.  Maybe it is still under warrenty......
    This

Or this

THis?
    Twitchey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Twitchey

I miss my N64 :(

Anyways, I have no idea, nothing like this ever happened to me.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

I have no advice but good luck man, I know how painful it is to pull an old system out of storage expecting it to work and finding it busted. My original NES and SNES are both relegated to decorations right now, and I fear my PS2 may follow them soon. My N64 still works fine, though the 'party hub' nature of the system has not been kind to the controllers and I now only have one that works like it should.

If worst comes to worst and you can't buy a new system or fix your current one, it is quite possible to emulate N64 games. You don't even need a great computer to do it.

thatguy0130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By thatguy0130
    @SuperfluousMoniker:  
    Yea, I am fortunate in that I have both a working NES and SNES even with them being stored and not played for an extended period of time.  Every time I pull them out, aside from jimmy-ing the NES carts, they both work fine.  My N64 is a real bummer.  The outlook is not so bright
    @The_Laughing_Man: 
    Well I have read the first forum before and aside from cleaning it out and checking under the hood, I can't figure out what is wrong with it.  The other two posts as well mainly point to either an overheating problem or a short somewhere.  I can't see where a short would be and I have thoroughly cleaned out the system with compressed air and cleaned the contacts.  SIGH maybe I will just have to find a "new" one :(

Liber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Liber

Download a N64 emulator and Roms of games that you own.

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Beaudacious
    @thatguy0130:  Did you notice an internal clock battery? Kinda like Pc mothers have for bios. Idk that's all i can think of, but its unlikely if its 5 min in, and then shuts down it would of been more immediate. A short would also be an immediate shut down, not 5 mins in. It might not get hot to the touch, but it also might have a really low tolerance for heat since it wasn't ever built to be a power house. What would be the point of having a chip that can go up to 90c, when its cheaper to have one max out a 45c. This seems more likely when comparing to 5 min reset.
    thatguy0130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By thatguy0130
    @Liber
    I do realize that downloading a N64 emulator and some roms of the games I have would be infinately easier, there is something to be said for playing old games on old systems with old style controllers.  I think I would rather replace my system then just go the emulator route. 
    @Beaudacious: 
    5 minutes might have been more of an estimation, it was probably shorter then that.  I didn't notice a small battery inside of it but I guess its just crapped and I will have to replace the whole thing.   I appreciate your suggestions though, thanks
    Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Coombs
    @thatguy0130: If you have some soldering skill its not very hard to take an old controller and rig it up with a USB cord, 
    Playing an emulated game on the PC with the classic controller is just as good (Sometimes better, Saving is nice)
    Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Lunar_Aura

Do what this guy did

thatguy0130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By thatguy0130
    @Coombs
    Not good enough to risk screwing up a perfectly good controller.  Though I might buy one for just that purpose.  It would be cool to have a USB N64 controller.  And saving is a nice feature, agreed! 
    @LunarAura: 
    I actually did have it completely taken apart as I was cleaning it and checking it.  I just can't see the reason why it keeps messing up.  There was a post in a different forum about an issue in the power supply being to blame, but with no other power supp[ly to try, I can't really test that theory.  They are pretty cheap now a days so I guess I might just see if I can find a replacement. 
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheGreatGuero

My SNES went through someone similar. All you had to do was touch the console anywhere and it would reset itself. The slightest vibration would cause it. Haha, we couldn't jump in celebration or we'd lose everything.

thatguy0130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By thatguy0130

Upon a second inspection, I came across some residue on the "processing" units(?)  Anyone know if this is supposed to be here?  Or perhaps I need to add more to it?  Could this be the source of the supposed overheating?  I suppose if there isn't a solid connection between between them and the heatspreader, that would cause them to overheat just like in a computer's processor and the heatsinks right? 
    bblue2344

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By bblue2344

So i have some info that might help here. I recently bought a n64 and started playing majoras mask and after an hour or so the console reset itself a few times and then kept resetting every 2 or 3 minutes after that. At first this obviously seemed like an overheating issue since the time between resets was getting shorter and shorter. To test this I put in Perfect Dark and it played fine, which led me to believe that it was a problem with my nintendo brand expansion pack since I heard that Zelda games were more likely to have the reset issue (I assume this is due to the fact that only certain games utilize the expansion pack i.e. Perfect Dark only needs the expansion pack for multiplayer but zelda games will shut off the console if you remove them while playing). So I took the expansion pack out and the connectors were absolutely immaculate not a single piece of dust on them, but I decided to clean them anyway and now I have not had the issue since. So I guess the connectors on those cartridges need to be clean on a microscopic level! If my problem comes back I will post again to let u know if and how I fixed it.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sounds like its broken.

koxen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By koxen
    No Caption Provided

I got the exact same problem. It's overheating, the base of the system suffocates when it's over any surface (except the anti thermal ones I guess) because there's no decent airflow. The solution is very simple and you don't need to tear it apart or buy a new one. I found that you just need to get it off the ground with the help of some supports. Try to find some cilinders or any object that can make the N64 stand on top of them like the parthenon of Athens (in my case I used those Wii U supports that comes with the black one). The airflow will then function properly and the resetting will stop.

Hope this helps ;)

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@koxen: Thanks for the heads up. My system isn't broken, but it might be in the future. Now I know.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

They'll fix it in the next patch.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.