Follow

    Nintendo DS

    Platform »

    The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

    Am I missing any quality DS RPGs from my list?

    Avatar image for rainvillain
    RainVillain

    780

    Forum Posts

    10

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 8

    User Lists: 17

    #1  Edited By RainVillain

     Want to make sure I'm not missing out on any quality DS RPGs. I checked the list in the above thread but it seems wildly out of date (Sands of Destruction as a coming soon -- hopefully good? yikes.. terrible game!) 
     
    Dragon Quest IX (owned IV and V... no interest in VI) 
    Final Fantasy IV (sold III since iphone/iPad version coming out soon) 
    Final Fantasy Tactics A2 
    Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon 
    Front Mission 
    Infinite Space 
    Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks 
    Radiant Historia 
    SMT Strange Journey (sold Devil Survivor because will eventually pick up 3DS' Overclocked) 
    The World Ends With You 
    Xenosaga 1&2 (Japanese) 
    ASH (Japanese) 
    Suikoden Tierkreis (Japanese) 
      
     
    Any other recommendations? I have already played through Super Robot Taisen but found it too silly, some of Bower's Inside Story but it didn't "click" with me. Sands of Destruction but hated it. Chrono Trigger didn't bother as I've played it on SNES and PSone. Played SoulSilver but got tired of everything about it except the pokewalker. 
     
    Any other recommendations? My fave DS RPGs are probably Dragon Quest IX and Fire Emblem, though Radiant Historia seems fantastic so far. Strange Journey had a lot going for it but found the dungeon crawl a bit tedious. 

    Avatar image for shadyspace
    shadyspace

    487

    Forum Posts

    0

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 0

    User Lists: 0

    #2  Edited By shadyspace

    Pokemon Diamond/Pearl 
    Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver

    Avatar image for endaround
    endaround

    2275

    Forum Posts

    8320

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 0

    User Lists: 5

    #3  Edited By endaround

    Golden Sun, Etrian Odyssey, Luminous Arc

    Avatar image for rainvillain
    RainVillain

    780

    Forum Posts

    10

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 8

    User Lists: 17

    #4  Edited By RainVillain
    @shadyspace said:
    " Pokemon Diamond/Pearl Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver "

    have explained why I have no PKM games anymore.
     
     
     @endaround said:
    " Golden Sun, Etrian Odyssey, Luminous Arc "

    Golden Sun been meaning to check out. Never played the GBA titles though, and I have a DSi XL, so no chance of playing them.. how essential are they? 
     Etrian Odyssey always seemed neat.. though what makes it different from Strange Journey beyond the lack of monsters? Is it 100% dungeon crawl or are there towns? 
    Luminous Arc been meaning to check out. LA1 or 2? Or both?
    Avatar image for fancysoapsman
    FancySoapsMan

    5984

    Forum Posts

    2

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 0

    User Lists: 13

    Avatar image for animasta
    Animasta

    14948

    Forum Posts

    3563

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 4

    User Lists: 5

    #6  Edited By Animasta
    @bigmuffpi said:
    " @shadyspace said:
    " Pokemon Diamond/Pearl Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver "

    have explained why I have no PKM games anymore.
     
     
     @endaround said:
    " Golden Sun, Etrian Odyssey, Luminous Arc "
    Golden Sun been meaning to check out. Never played the GBA titles though, and I have a DSi XL, so no chance of playing them.. how essential are they?  Etrian Odyssey always seemed neat.. though what makes it different from Strange Journey beyond the lack of monsters? Is it 100% dungeon crawl or are there towns? Luminous Arc been meaning to check out. LA1 or 2? Or both? "
    the first two golden suns are terrible, I haven't played the new one so I wouldn't know but the first two GS's have some GODAWFUL dialogue that you can't really skip.
    Avatar image for alistercat
    alistercat

    8490

    Forum Posts

    7490

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 2

    User Lists: 23

    #7  Edited By alistercat

    Pokemon Black and White, since the others were mentioned already. I feel like it's a meaningful addition to the series. A little more grown up than usual too.

    Avatar image for melcene
    melcene

    3214

    Forum Posts

    1475

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 1

    User Lists: 9

    #8  Edited By melcene
    Avatar image for delicious_brains
    Delicious_Brains

    170

    Forum Posts

    0

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 0

    User Lists: 0

    #9  Edited By Delicious_Brains

    Thank y'all for this list, I've been looking to get some decent games for my DS.

    Avatar image for afroman269
    Afroman269

    7440

    Forum Posts

    103

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 0

    User Lists: 6

    #10  Edited By Afroman269
    @Laketown said:
    " @bigmuffpi said:
    " @shadyspace said:
    " Pokemon Diamond/Pearl Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver "

    have explained why I have no PKM games anymore.
     
     
     @endaround said:
    " Golden Sun, Etrian Odyssey, Luminous Arc "
    Golden Sun been meaning to check out. Never played the GBA titles though, and I have a DSi XL, so no chance of playing them.. how essential are they?  Etrian Odyssey always seemed neat.. though what makes it different from Strange Journey beyond the lack of monsters? Is it 100% dungeon crawl or are there towns? Luminous Arc been meaning to check out. LA1 or 2? Or both? "
    the first two golden suns are terrible, I haven't played the new one so I wouldn't know but the first two GS's have some GODAWFUL dialogue that you can't really skip. "
    wut? I found the the original two games to be much better than the DS game. The dialogue, I agree was bad and it went on for quite some time, but that is sorta the same with Dark Dawn. The journey in the first two games were just more enjoyable. Dark Dawn is great for nostalgia. As for missing out on the first two, well I suggest you play them but Dark Dawn does a good job of having info on the previous games. I think at this point if you want to play the first two games, just look up some roms online. 
     
    As for other games, maybe try out some Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story. I enjoyed that a lot.
    Avatar image for ckeats
    ckeats

    496

    Forum Posts

    136

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 0

    User Lists: 0

    #11  Edited By ckeats
    Nostalgia is pretty good.  I'm enjoying it so far.
    Avatar image for sewageking1
    sewageking1

    23

    Forum Posts

    0

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 0

    User Lists: 0

    #12  Edited By sewageking1

    Is Infinite Space really so good?  I bought a copy about a year ago, but I really wasn't interested enough to keep playing much past the first hour, so I sold it.  But I'd be willing to give it another try if anyone thinks it would be worth it. 
     
    I just finished up The World Ends With You.  Needless to say, it was amazing.  I also bought Radiant Historia last week, and I'm really loving it so far.  It reminds me a lot of Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Cross.  Very fun battle system too.  Like you mentioned regarding Strange Journey, I've never been able to really get into any of the main SMT games because they are very intense.  However, I've heard great things about Devil Survivor, so I'll probably be buying Overclocked whenever that comes out.

    Avatar image for idarktread
    iDarktread

    1263

    Forum Posts

    0

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 0

    User Lists: 0

    #13  Edited By iDarktread
    @bigmuffpi said:
    " Played SoulSilver but got tired of everything about it. "
    @bigmuffpi said:
    " Want to make sure I'm not missing out on any quality DS RPGs. "  
     
    Pokemon Black or White.
    Avatar image for turambar
    Turambar

    8283

    Forum Posts

    114

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 0

    User Lists: 2

    Avatar image for rasko9
    rasko9

    97

    Forum Posts

    0

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 0

    User Lists: 0

    #15  Edited By rasko9

    the final fantasy xii game.
    Avatar image for endaround
    endaround

    2275

    Forum Posts

    8320

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 0

    User Lists: 5

    #16  Edited By endaround
    @sewageking1 said:
    " Is Infinite Space really so good?  I bought a copy about a year ago, but I really wasn't interested enough to keep playing much past the first hour, so I sold it.  But I'd be willing to give it another try if anyone thinks it would be worth it.  
    It gets much better after you get past the first boss but you need to like to build ships.  If they had a budget, Nude Maker could make one of the best games ever seen.
    Avatar image for jjor64
    JJOR64

    19700

    Forum Posts

    417

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 3

    User Lists: 5

    #17  Edited By JJOR64

    No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for yoshimitz707
    yoshimitz707

    2555

    Forum Posts

    962

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 0

    User Lists: 10

    #18  Edited By yoshimitz707

    Mother 3

    Avatar image for deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4
    deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4

    812

    Forum Posts

    32

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 1

    User Lists: 0

    @bigmuffpi: @Afroman269 said:

    " @Laketown said:

    " @bigmuffpi said:
    " @shadyspace said:
    " Pokemon Diamond/Pearl Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver "

    have explained why I have no PKM games anymore.
     
     
     @endaround said:
    " Golden Sun, Etrian Odyssey, Luminous Arc "
    Golden Sun been meaning to check out. Never played the GBA titles though, and I have a DSi XL, so no chance of playing them.. how essential are they?  Etrian Odyssey always seemed neat.. though what makes it different from Strange Journey beyond the lack of monsters? Is it 100% dungeon crawl or are there towns? Luminous Arc been meaning to check out. LA1 or 2? Or both? "
    the first two golden suns are terrible, I haven't played the new one so I wouldn't know but the first two GS's have some GODAWFUL dialogue that you can't really skip. "
    wut? I found the the original two games to be much better than the DS game. The dialogue, I agree was bad and it went on for quite some time, but that is sorta the same with Dark Dawn. The journey in the first two games were just more enjoyable. Dark Dawn is great for nostalgia. As for missing out on the first two, well I suggest you play them but Dark Dawn does a good job of having info on the previous games. I think at this point if you want to play the first two games, just look up some roms online.  As for other games, maybe try out some Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story. I enjoyed that a lot. "
    Golden Sun isn't about the story or the dialog; it's about awesome elemental effects and clever puzzles that require you to use your psychic abilities to solve them. I've only played the first two, but since the story isn't the main interest, and since Afroman said the journeys in the first two games were more enjoyable, I recommend that you ask yourself whether you think the GBA games or DS game look cooler.
    Avatar image for afroman269
    Afroman269

    7440

    Forum Posts

    103

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 0

    User Lists: 6

    #21  Edited By Afroman269
    @ViciousAnchovy said:
    " @bigmuffpi: @Afroman269 said:

    " @Laketown said:

    " @bigmuffpi said:
    " @shadyspace said:
    " Pokemon Diamond/Pearl Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver "

    have explained why I have no PKM games anymore.
     
     
     @endaround said:
    " Golden Sun, Etrian Odyssey, Luminous Arc "
    Golden Sun been meaning to check out. Never played the GBA titles though, and I have a DSi XL, so no chance of playing them.. how essential are they?  Etrian Odyssey always seemed neat.. though what makes it different from Strange Journey beyond the lack of monsters? Is it 100% dungeon crawl or are there towns? Luminous Arc been meaning to check out. LA1 or 2? Or both? "
    the first two golden suns are terrible, I haven't played the new one so I wouldn't know but the first two GS's have some GODAWFUL dialogue that you can't really skip. "
    wut? I found the the original two games to be much better than the DS game. The dialogue, I agree was bad and it went on for quite some time, but that is sorta the same with Dark Dawn. The journey in the first two games were just more enjoyable. Dark Dawn is great for nostalgia. As for missing out on the first two, well I suggest you play them but Dark Dawn does a good job of having info on the previous games. I think at this point if you want to play the first two games, just look up some roms online.  As for other games, maybe try out some Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story. I enjoyed that a lot. "
    Golden Sun isn't about the story or the dialog; it's about awesome elemental effects and clever puzzles that require you to use your psychic abilities to solve them. I've only played the first two, but since the story isn't the main interest, and since Afroman said the journeys in the first two games were more enjoyable, I recommend that you ask yourself whether you think the GBA games or DS game look cooler. "
    Now that you mention about the puzzles, they were superior in the first two games. Dark Dawn's were kind of a joke. None of the puzzles took long at all to figure out and the dungeons weren't exactly all that big for yo to "explore" that much. Also, the overall difficulty is quite low. It only ramped up to somewhat hard at the final boss, that's it. 
    Avatar image for turambar
    Turambar

    8283

    Forum Posts

    114

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 0

    User Lists: 2

    #22  Edited By Turambar
    Avatar image for marrec
    marrec

    258

    Forum Posts

    1

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 0

    User Lists: 2

    #23  Edited By marrec

    Shiren: The Wanderer 
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon

    Avatar image for cybexx
    Cybexx

    1690

    Forum Posts

    1458

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 1

    User Lists: 9

    #24  Edited By Cybexx

    Pffft Zelda is not an RPG just because it is set in a fantasy setting, unless your talking about Zelda 2.

    Avatar image for n11n12
    n11n12

    103

    Forum Posts

    0

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 0

    User Lists: 0

    #25  Edited By n11n12

    If you're an absolute glutton for punishment, buy The Dark Spire. Classic, 8-bit, Wizardry-style first person dungeon crawling.
     
    If you want something completely unique and esoteric as fuck, check out Knights in the Nightmare. (I know it's the worst title ever, but trust me when I say you've never seen a game like it.)
     
    Also, Chrono Trigger is not on your list. That is a problem. Fix it immediately.

    Avatar image for icemael
    Icemael

    6898

    Forum Posts

    40352

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 20

    User Lists: 20

    #26  Edited By Icemael

    The World Ends With You is missing. And the Legend of Zelda games shouldn't be on that list. They're not JRPGs, but action-adventures.

    Avatar image for driadon
    Driadon

    3265

    Forum Posts

    763

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 0

    User Lists: 14

    #27  Edited By Driadon

    While not perfect Infinite Space is some good fun. It's incredibly grindy and lacks a quest log, but it's a big game with some very cool combat and ship building. 
     
    And  Etrian Odyssey is really really awesome if you like a more traditional RPG akin to Strange Journey.

    Avatar image for agentj
    AgentJ

    8995

    Forum Posts

    5796

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 2

    User Lists: 40

    #28  Edited By AgentJ
    @Laketown said:
    " @bigmuffpi said:
    " @shadyspace said:
    " Pokemon Diamond/Pearl Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver "

    have explained why I have no PKM games anymore.
     
     
     @endaround said:
    " Golden Sun, Etrian Odyssey, Luminous Arc "
    Golden Sun been meaning to check out. Never played the GBA titles though, and I have a DSi XL, so no chance of playing them.. how essential are they?  Etrian Odyssey always seemed neat.. though what makes it different from Strange Journey beyond the lack of monsters? Is it 100% dungeon crawl or are there towns? Luminous Arc been meaning to check out. LA1 or 2? Or both? "
    the first two golden suns are terrible, I haven't played the new one so I wouldn't know but the first two GS's have some GODAWFUL dialogue that you can't really skip. "
    F-you. The original Golden Sun games are among the best RPGS of all time. you will speak no blasphemy here.  
     
    You seem to have the list pretty well figured out. I would add that Suikoden Teirkreis is available in america, so you don't need to go with the Japanese version. also, Might and Magic: Clash of heroes is more of a puzzle game with RPG elements, but it's horribly addicting so I'd recommend that. 
    Avatar image for agentj
    AgentJ

    8995

    Forum Posts

    5796

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 2

    User Lists: 40

    #29  Edited By AgentJ
    @Turambar said:
    " Don't forget that Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem is still in development, and should be out this year. "
    Is it really going to come out in the US? If so, I suppose it will be the last great DS game.  
    @Cybexx said:
    " Pffft Zelda is not an RPG just because it is set in a fantasy setting, unless your talking about Zelda 2. "
    @Icemael said:
    " The World Ends With You is missing. And the Legend of Zelda games shouldn't be on that list. They're not JRPGs, but action-adventures. "
    This. To think people still call Zelda RPGs in this day and age...

    This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

    Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

    Comment and Save

    Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.