Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

Am I missing any quality DS RPGs from my list?

RainVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By RainVillain

Want to make sure I'm not missing out on any quality DS RPGs. I checked the list in the above thread but it seems wildly out of date (Sands of Destruction as a coming soon -- hopefully good? yikes.. terrible game!) 

Dragon Quest IX (owned IV and V... no interest in VI) 
    Final Fantasy IV (sold III since iphone/iPad version coming out soon) 
    Final Fantasy Tactics A2 
    Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon 
    Front Mission 
    Infinite Space 
    Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks 
    Radiant Historia 
    SMT Strange Journey (sold Devil Survivor because will eventually pick up 3DS' Overclocked) 
    The World Ends With You 
    Xenosaga 1&2 (Japanese) 
    ASH (Japanese) 
    Suikoden Tierkreis (Japanese) 

Any other recommendations? I have already played through Super Robot Taisen but found it too silly, some of Bower's Inside Story but it didn't "click" with me. Sands of Destruction but hated it. Chrono Trigger didn't bother as I've played it on SNES and PSone. Played SoulSilver but got tired of everything about it except the pokewalker. 

Any other recommendations? My fave DS RPGs are probably Dragon Quest IX and Fire Emblem, though Radiant Historia seems fantastic so far. Strange Journey had a lot going for it but found the dungeon crawl a bit tedious. 

shadyspace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By shadyspace

Pokemon Diamond/Pearl 
    Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By endaround

Golden Sun, Etrian Odyssey, Luminous Arc

RainVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By RainVillain
    @shadyspace said:
    " Pokemon Diamond/Pearl Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver "

have explained why I have no PKM games anymore.

@endaround said:
    " Golden Sun, Etrian Odyssey, Luminous Arc "

Golden Sun been meaning to check out. Never played the GBA titles though, and I have a DSi XL, so no chance of playing them.. how essential are they? 
     Etrian Odyssey always seemed neat.. though what makes it different from Strange Journey beyond the lack of monsters? Is it 100% dungeon crawl or are there towns? 
    Luminous Arc been meaning to check out. LA1 or 2? Or both?
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By Animasta
    @bigmuffpi said:
    " @shadyspace said:

@endaround said:
    Golden Sun been meaning to check out. Never played the GBA titles though, and I have a DSi XL, so no chance of playing them.. how essential are they?  Etrian Odyssey always seemed neat.. though what makes it different from Strange Journey beyond the lack of monsters? Is it 100% dungeon crawl or are there towns? Luminous Arc been meaning to check out. LA1 or 2? Or both? "
    the first two golden suns are terrible, I haven't played the new one so I wouldn't know but the first two GS's have some GODAWFUL dialogue that you can't really skip.
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#7  Edited By alistercat

Pokemon Black and White, since the others were mentioned already. I feel like it's a meaningful addition to the series. A little more grown up than usual too.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By melcene
    Avatar image for delicious_brains
    Delicious_Brains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Delicious_Brains

Thank y'all for this list, I've been looking to get some decent games for my DS.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Afroman269
    @Laketown said:
    " @bigmuffpi said:
    " @shadyspace said:

@endaround said:
    Golden Sun been meaning to check out. Never played the GBA titles though, and I have a DSi XL, so no chance of playing them.. how essential are they?  Etrian Odyssey always seemed neat.. though what makes it different from Strange Journey beyond the lack of monsters? Is it 100% dungeon crawl or are there towns? Luminous Arc been meaning to check out. LA1 or 2? Or both? "
    the first two golden suns are terrible, I haven't played the new one so I wouldn't know but the first two GS's have some GODAWFUL dialogue that you can't really skip. "
    wut? I found the the original two games to be much better than the DS game. The dialogue, I agree was bad and it went on for quite some time, but that is sorta the same with Dark Dawn. The journey in the first two games were just more enjoyable. Dark Dawn is great for nostalgia. As for missing out on the first two, well I suggest you play them but Dark Dawn does a good job of having info on the previous games. I think at this point if you want to play the first two games, just look up some roms online. 

As for other games, maybe try out some Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story. I enjoyed that a lot.
    ckeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ckeats
    Nostalgia is pretty good.  I'm enjoying it so far.
    sewageking1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By sewageking1

Is Infinite Space really so good?  I bought a copy about a year ago, but I really wasn't interested enough to keep playing much past the first hour, so I sold it.  But I'd be willing to give it another try if anyone thinks it would be worth it. 

I just finished up The World Ends With You.  Needless to say, it was amazing.  I also bought Radiant Historia last week, and I'm really loving it so far.  It reminds me a lot of Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Cross.  Very fun battle system too.  Like you mentioned regarding Strange Journey, I've never been able to really get into any of the main SMT games because they are very intense.  However, I've heard great things about Devil Survivor, so I'll probably be buying Overclocked whenever that comes out.

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By iDarktread
    @bigmuffpi said:
    " Played SoulSilver but got tired of everything about it. "
    @bigmuffpi said:
    " Want to make sure I'm not missing out on any quality DS RPGs. "  

Pokemon Black or White.
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

rasko9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By rasko9

the final fantasy xii game.
    endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By endaround
    @sewageking1 said:
    " Is Infinite Space really so good?  I bought a copy about a year ago, but I really wasn't interested enough to keep playing much past the first hour, so I sold it.  But I'd be willing to give it another try if anyone thinks it would be worth it.  
    It gets much better after you get past the first boss but you need to like to build ships.  If they had a budget, Nude Maker could make one of the best games ever seen.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By JJOR64

No Caption Provided
    yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By yoshimitz707

Mother 3

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4
    deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigmuffpi: @Afroman269 said:

" @Laketown said:

" @bigmuffpi said:
    " @shadyspace said:

@endaround said:
    the first two golden suns are terrible, I haven't played the new one so I wouldn't know but the first two GS's have some GODAWFUL dialogue that you can't really skip. "
    wut? I found the the original two games to be much better than the DS game. The dialogue, I agree was bad and it went on for quite some time, but that is sorta the same with Dark Dawn. The journey in the first two games were just more enjoyable. Dark Dawn is great for nostalgia. As for missing out on the first two, well I suggest you play them but Dark Dawn does a good job of having info on the previous games. I think at this point if you want to play the first two games, just look up some roms online.  As for other games, maybe try out some Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story. I enjoyed that a lot. "
    Golden Sun isn't about the story or the dialog; it's about awesome elemental effects and clever puzzles that require you to use your psychic abilities to solve them. I've only played the first two, but since the story isn't the main interest, and since Afroman said the journeys in the first two games were more enjoyable, I recommend that you ask yourself whether you think the GBA games or DS game look cooler.
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By Afroman269
    @ViciousAnchovy said:
    " @bigmuffpi: @Afroman269 said:

" @Laketown said:

" @bigmuffpi said:
    " @shadyspace said:

@endaround said:
    wut? I found the the original two games to be much better than the DS game. The dialogue, I agree was bad and it went on for quite some time, but that is sorta the same with Dark Dawn. The journey in the first two games were just more enjoyable. Dark Dawn is great for nostalgia. As for missing out on the first two, well I suggest you play them but Dark Dawn does a good job of having info on the previous games. I think at this point if you want to play the first two games, just look up some roms online.  As for other games, maybe try out some Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story. I enjoyed that a lot. "
    Golden Sun isn't about the story or the dialog; it's about awesome elemental effects and clever puzzles that require you to use your psychic abilities to solve them. I've only played the first two, but since the story isn't the main interest, and since Afroman said the journeys in the first two games were more enjoyable, I recommend that you ask yourself whether you think the GBA games or DS game look cooler. "
    Now that you mention about the puzzles, they were superior in the first two games. Dark Dawn's were kind of a joke. None of the puzzles took long at all to figure out and the dungeons weren't exactly all that big for yo to "explore" that much. Also, the overall difficulty is quite low. It only ramped up to somewhat hard at the final boss, that's it. 
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Turambar
    marrec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By marrec

Shiren: The Wanderer 
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By Cybexx

Pffft Zelda is not an RPG just because it is set in a fantasy setting, unless your talking about Zelda 2.

n11n12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By n11n12

If you're an absolute glutton for punishment, buy The Dark Spire. Classic, 8-bit, Wizardry-style first person dungeon crawling.

If you want something completely unique and esoteric as fuck, check out Knights in the Nightmare. (I know it's the worst title ever, but trust me when I say you've never seen a game like it.)

Also, Chrono Trigger is not on your list. That is a problem. Fix it immediately.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#26  Edited By Icemael

The World Ends With You is missing. And the Legend of Zelda games shouldn't be on that list. They're not JRPGs, but action-adventures.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#27  Edited By Driadon

While not perfect Infinite Space is some good fun. It's incredibly grindy and lacks a quest log, but it's a big game with some very cool combat and ship building. 

And  Etrian Odyssey is really really awesome if you like a more traditional RPG akin to Strange Journey.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#28  Edited By AgentJ
    @Laketown said:
    " @bigmuffpi said:
    " @shadyspace said:

@endaround said:
    F-you. The original Golden Sun games are among the best RPGS of all time. you will speak no blasphemy here.  

You seem to have the list pretty well figured out. I would add that Suikoden Teirkreis is available in america, so you don't need to go with the Japanese version. also, Might and Magic: Clash of heroes is more of a puzzle game with RPG elements, but it's horribly addicting so I'd recommend that. 
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#29  Edited By AgentJ
    @Turambar said:
    " Don't forget that Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem is still in development, and should be out this year. "
    Is it really going to come out in the US? If so, I suppose it will be the last great DS game.  
    @Cybexx said:
    " Pffft Zelda is not an RPG just because it is set in a fantasy setting, unless your talking about Zelda 2. "
    @Icemael said:
    " The World Ends With You is missing. And the Legend of Zelda games shouldn't be on that list. They're not JRPGs, but action-adventures. "
    This. To think people still call Zelda RPGs in this day and age...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.