Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

Anyone have a list of Dungeon Crawler games for DS/DSi?

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

I don't have  Nintendo DS yet but I was thinking about getting one.  Games that seem interesting to me for it would be games that generate random dungeons, grant interesting items, turn-based combat.  What games would fall under this that might not fall under child-like anime?

Two games that I've seen that look interesting are: 

Elves & Orcs
    Warhammer 40k: Squad Command

Thanks for any info you might have. I'm just trying to weigh in how much fun I can get out of a DS if I get one. It'll be my first entry into the portable gaming world..

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By oldschool

Etrian Odyssey?  Dark Spire?  To be honest, I find difficult to pin down a game in a very specific genre like this.  Sorry for being poor help.

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Axersia

Well, if you're turned off by colorful anime aesthetics that limits your options quite a bit (especially in the Diablo-clone category), but here are a few games you might be interested in:

First-Person Dungeon Crawlers 
    Orcs & Elves (hack 'n' slash)
    The Dark Spire (turn-based)
    Mazes of Fate (timebar-based)
    Fighting Fantasy: The Warlock of the Firetop Mountain (hack 'n' slash) (not out yet)
    Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (turn-based) (not out yet)

Top-Down Dungeon Crawlers
    Dungeon Explorer: Warriors of Ancient Art (hack 'n' slash) 

Turn-Based Strategy (you didn't neccesarily ask for these but you did say you were interested in Warhammer so I'll list them anyway)
    Warhammer 40k: Squad Command
    Elite Forces: Unit 77 
    Jagged Alliance 
    Front Mission
    Advance Wars: Days of Ruin 
    Mage Knight: Destiny's Soldier 
    Panzer Tactics DS
    Warlords DS
    Age of Empires: The Age of Kings
    Age of Empires: Mythologies
    Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution
    History Great Empires: Rome

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
    @Axersia said:
    " Well, if you're turned off by colorful anime aesthetics that limits your options quite a bit (especially in the Diablo-clone category), but here are a few games you might be interested in:

First-Person Dungeon Crawlers 
    Orcs & Elves (hack 'n' slash)
    The Dark Spire (turn-based)
    Mazes of Fate (timebar-based)
    Fighting Fantasy: The Warlock of the Firetop Mountain (hack 'n' slash) (not out yet)
    Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (turn-based) (not out yet)

Top-Down Dungeon Crawlers
    Dungeon Explorer: Warriors of Ancient Art (hack 'n' slash) 

Turn-Based Strategy (you didn't neccesarily ask for these but you did say you were interested in Warhammer so I'll list them anyway)Warhammer 40k: Squad Command Elite Forces: Unit 77  Jagged Alliance  Front Mission Advance Wars: Days of Ruin  Mage Knight: Destiny's Soldier  Panzer Tactics DS Warlords DS Age of Empires: The Age of KingsAge of Empires: MythologiesSid Meier's Civilization Revolution History Great Empires: Rome "
    Thanks. That's a great list.  So how about if I did choose the JRPG/anime types? What is then up for offer?

Was there a Diablo or Baldur's Gate port or similar game on the DS?
    tokyochicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By tokyochicken

Etrian odyssey is the only one that comes to mind...so that I guess.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#6  Edited By AgentJ

Izuna and Izuna 2. That's enough to consume the rest of the list put together. Beware though, I think the first one is hard to come by

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Al3xand3r

Shiren the Wanderer 1 & 2? Or did those not release in the West?

There's also a new Wizardry DS coming.

And Fighting Fantasy.
    chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
    @Al3xand3r said:

" Shiren the Wanderer 1 & 2? Or did those not release in the West? "

Yes one of them did as Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer. If you are looking for some dungeon crawling that is the game you want imo. However be aware that it is a roguelike and comes with all of the trappings of that sub-genre which is something that a lot of people find way too frustrating to enjoy.

EDIT: After linking to the roguelike page, I noticed that it's a complete disaster. Someone, maybe me, should really fill out that page. Anyway the main thing to really know about roguelikes is that in most of them you die and lose basically all of your experience and have to start over from level 1.
    atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By atejas

Shiren the Wanderer is more of a roguelike, but I hear good things about it.
    Soma Bringer is a kind of disappointing Diablo clone, but I suppose it qualifies.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Diamond

The Shiren series are all pretty light roguelikes, similar to the Izuna series.  Challenging, but not nearly as interesting as something like Nethack.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
    @Chaser324 said:
    " @Al3xand3r said:

" Shiren the Wanderer 1 & 2? Or did those not release in the West? "

Yes one of them did as Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer. If you are looking for some dungeon crawling that is the game you want imo. However be aware that it is a roguelike and comes with all of the trappings of that sub-genre which is something that a lot of people find way too frustrating to enjoy.  EDIT: After linking to the roguelike page, I noticed that it's a complete disaster. Someone, maybe me, should really fill out that page. Anyway the main thing to really know about roguelikes is that in most of them you die and lose basically all of your experience and have to start over from level 1. "
    Holy Crap!  Starting over at Level 1?!?  I don't think I could handle that. I didn't know that's what Roguelike meant. There isn't a save feature?

@atejas said:
    " Shiren the Wanderer is more of a roguelike, but I hear good things about it. Soma Bringer is a kind of disappointing Diablo clone, but I suppose it qualifies. "

Soma Bringer isn't on Amazon. Is that sold in the USA?  I'm American so I'd prefer the games can be bought here easily.

Btw, I also found out that the DS supports Gameboy Advance & that there was a Baldur's Gate port of Dark Alliance I believe. Although the old Gameboy Advance games seem a bit ridiculously priced in the used market unless it's game-disk only (with any graphic on it ripped off or had chocolate spilled on it).
    chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
    @Lind_L_Taylor: Yeah, Shiren the Wanderer (and other similar roguelikes) can be punishing. Basically if you die in Shiren, your level is reset to 1, you go back to the first town, and you lose all of the items that you didn't have saved in a special warehouse before you died.

It's not an RPG, but if you want to get a quick feel for what a roguelike can feel like, you should check out the indie platformer Spelunky!, it's free so you've got nothing to lose.
    juanvaldes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By juanvaldes
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By oldschool
    @Lind_L_Taylor said:
    " Soma Bringer isn't on Amazon. Is that sold in the USA?  I'm American so I'd prefer the games can be bought here easily. "
    Soma Bringer is in Japanese only.  Playasia have it pretty cheap.  It isn't hard to work out, but you have to be a fan of foreign language games you don't understand to buy it (like me).
    atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By atejas
    @Lind_L_Taylor said:
    Soma Bringer isn't on Amazon. Is that sold in the USA?  I'm American so I'd prefer the games can be bought here easily.
    It's Japanese only for now but there's a translation patch out.

You'll need to not buy it to be able to play it in english.
    Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
    @oldschool said:
    " @Lind_L_Taylor said:
    " Soma Bringer isn't on Amazon. Is that sold in the USA?  I'm American so I'd prefer the games can be bought here easily. "
    Soma Bringer is in Japanese only.  Playasia have it pretty cheap.  It isn't hard to work out, but you have to be a fan of foreign language games you don't understand to buy it (like me). "
    @atejas said:
    " @Lind_L_Taylor said:
    It's Japanese only for now but there's a translation patch out.    You'll need to not buy it to be able to play it in english. "
    I'll probably just pass on it then.  Some of the Japanese games look interesting & I'll consider them if they're English. Listening to Japanese or looking at a ton of kanji or katakana gives me a headache.
    Avatar image for platypusplatoon
    PlatypusPlatoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By PlatypusPlatoon
    Etrian Odysessy may be what you're looking for.  It fulfills all of your criteria, and as I understand, is hard as hell, to boot.
    Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Etrian is $80 new.  Etrian 2 is $70 new.  I don't think I can afford that game. 

Also, I'm not a big fan of "hard as hell" games.  Once you start repeating the same area several times, it's not a game anymore, just an exercise in frustration.

xSTEAMYx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hi recently in the past few years i have been looking for the name of a game i played when i was younger ,for i hath forgotten the name of it nor do i know where the cart is so so for today is the day ,i announce, i have retrieved the carts name from the internet of answers ,yet i am rejoicing in the name of the internet ,i share sorrow for other peoples shalt not rejoice for they were all from the stylus days and ye was many moons ago ,for there is not many peoples typing on this post of answers since the stylus time for i have surrendered to the silence and spoken for i bestowed you a gift of gratitude for providing me with the knowledge of the cart ,Elves and Orcs, and i thank you for bestowing me the feeling of remembrance the feeling of nostalgia........ :P thx

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.