Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

Are you ready for a new DS next year? The specualtion begins.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool

DS model change may be announced next...  (original source)  

DS model change may be announced next year according to analyst 

Believe it or not, it’s been only about six months since the Nintendo DSi made its worldwide debut. There’s still a ways to go before a DSi-exclusive games come out and DSiWare has yet to reach its full potential. Considering these facts, it would seem a bit odd to make a prediction about another handheld release. 

However, Soichiro Fukuda, an analyst at Citigroup in Tokyo, believes that a DS model change may make its first appearance next June. Presently, the DSi is experiencing continued success in the market and by June 2010, the system will only have been out for a little more than a year. Would Nintendo really be willing to show off its next handheld when the time comes? 

Nintendo Shares Gain After Citigroup Raises Rating (Update1)  
       Oct. 9 (Bloomberg) -- Nintendo Co. rose the most in 10 months in Osaka trading after Citigroup Inc. boosted its investment rating on the maker of the Wii game console, citing the company’s prospects for an earnings recovery.

Nintendo gained 6.7 percent to 23,800 yen as of the 11 a.m. trading break on the Osaka Securities Exchange, the biggest advance since Nov. 27. The benchmark Nikkei 225 Stock Average added 0.6 percent.

Soichiro Fukuda, an analyst at Citigroup in Tokyo, raised the rating to “buy” from “hold,” and increased the price estimate for Kyoto-based Nintendo’s shares to 30,000 yen from 29,000 yen.

“Bad news will be exhausted with a large downward revision” of Nintendo’s earnings forecast for the year ending March 2010, Fukuda wrote in his report dated yesterday. He expects such a revision to come soon, according to the report.

Nintendo may announce a model change for its DS handheld video-game players in June next year, triggering an improvement in the company’s earnings, Fukuda wrote. 

The speculation begins.  Do you think it is true or indeed a possibility?  What form would it take? Will it be a DS with Gamecube power? 

I say nothing will happen until 2011, but then again, I know nothing.  Surely when it happens though, it will be as powerful as the PSP, but you know, better  :-)
    Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Marzy

I'm waiting for the new Gameboy still, I still believe Nintendo will release a new one. It will be more like the PSP, but with a touch screen and feature lots of multimedia utilities.

On a more serious note though, this is why I held off buying a DSi. I'd rather wait for Nintendo's next handheld. Personally, I didn't think spending another £140 on a DSi was worth it.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Linkyshinks

I cannot see it happening anythime soon, not a new DS anyway. The Gameboy on the other hand is another matter. There's no way Nintendo will ever let that equally awesome brand die. The Gameboy brand still resonates strongly today.

@Marzy said:

" I'm waiting for the new Gameboy still, I still believe Nintendo will release a new one. It will be more like the PSP, but with a touch screen and feature lots of multimedia utilities.  On a more serious note though, this is why I held off buying a DSi. I'd rather wait for Nintendo's next handheld. Personally, I didn't think spending another £140 on a DSi was worth it. "
    I remember creating a thread on Cubed about the very subject of the Gameboy returning. I recall posting video footage of Miyamoto saying there were no plans to release one. That was two years ago now...I would dig up that thread if I could remember the title. I do remember it being a very funny video because of a comment Miyamoto makes at the end. I think it was a 1up video.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By oldschool
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " I cannot see it happening anythime soon, not a new DS anyway. The Gameboy on the other hand is another matter. There's no way Nintendo will ever let that equally awesome brand die. The Gameboy brand still resonates strongly today.

@Marzy said:
    " I'm waiting for the new Gameboy still, I still believe Nintendo will release a new one. It will be more like the PSP, but with a touch screen and feature lots of multimedia utilities.  On a more serious note though, this is why I held off buying a DSi. I'd rather wait for Nintendo's next handheld. Personally, I didn't think spending another £140 on a DSi was worth it. "
    I remember creating a thread on Cubed about the very subject of the Gameboy returning. I recall posting video footage of Miyamoto saying there were no plans to release one. That was two years ago now...I would dig up that thread if I could remember the title. I do remember it being a very funny video because of a comment Miyamoto makes at the end. I think it was a 1up video. "
    I wouldn't completely dismiss the idea of a new Gameboy you know, after all the talk they had about the 3rd pillar.  I suppose the market could handle another unit considering there will be no competition except the DS (the PSP will be gone soon and I am not seeing Sony bringing out a new one). 

I think many of us would really want a powerful handheld with Nintendo goodness - Gamecube quality games made with a small screen and short plays in mind.  My preference would be for a unit the same size as the DS and just like the DS, with the top being all screen and the bottom just controls, with a decent analogue stick.   Modern cards could easily allow up to 4Gb sized games without any issues.  Plus, maybe they could get the piracy issue right.

Still, I am not really seeing anything happening next year.
    Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Marzy

I'll have to try and hunt that down Linkyshinks, thanks for bringing it up.

I still believe that Nintendo will bring out the new Gameboy in the future, I have done since the 3rd pillar comment was made (the one that Oldschool mentioned).

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By oldschool
    @Marzy said:
    " I'll have to try and hunt that down Linkyshinks, thanks for bringing it up.  I still believe that Nintendo will bring out the new Gameboy in the future, I have done since the 3rd pillar comment was made (the one that Oldschool mentioned). "
    If they are right, then we will start to hear some noise early next year.  They will want to start building hype in the lead up.  I could see how "The Return of the Gameboy" is media gold straight up.  It will get plenty of free coverage in the tabloid media.  Heritage branding is quite valuable and the Gameboy name is pure heritage.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.