Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

DSi Charging Problem

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By mike

So, I think I may have a damaged charging port or a bad charger...it's probably the port, but I wanted to see if anyone else had ever heard of anything like this. 

I plug the DSi in to the charger, and the LED lights up for a few seconds to indicate that it's charging, then it goes out. If I unplug it and plug it back in, the same thing happens. I've tried putting pressure on the charging port in different directions and there doesn't seem to be much change...sometimes it will charge for as long as 20 or 30 seconds before shutting off. 

I don't have any other chargers to troubleshoot this issue, and the DSi is definitely not under warranty anymore. My next step was going to be to take it down to Gamestop and ask to have them hook it up to a different charger in order to troubleshoot, but I fear it's the port itself. 

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? This is a bummer because this DSi only ever saw a few hours of use since I got it new, and it's never been dropped or banged around or exposed to water or anything like that. 
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Yo your battery might be dead. And by dead I mean dried up. I say try the charger out on a friend's DSi too see if that works, either to find the culprit or rule it out.

If the battery is dead, You can order one fairly cheaply online, and the replacement process couldn't be too tricky once you get a hold of a tri wing security bit which usually just comes with the battery.

It's always fun taking stuff apart, especially when you use unconventional bits.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mike

The battery could be dead...the DSi sat for a year or so before I tried charging it. But, I can't even get the "charging" icon to stay lit when the unit is on...if the battery was toast, wouldn't it still operate when plugged in?

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Kyreo
    @MB said:
    " The battery could be dead...the DSi sat for a year or so before I tried charging it. But, I can't even get the "charging" icon to stay lit when the unit is on...if the battery was toast, wouldn't it still operate when plugged in? "
    Not necessarily.  I'm not scientist, but Im pretty sure if the battery is fucked, then there isn't anything to hold a charge.
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mike
    @Kyreo: Good point, I guess I was thinking more along the lines of laptops, which will run even with the batteries removed when on AC power. Maybe I'll try to find a cheap replacement battery online and see if that fixes it. 
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#6  Edited By AgentJ
    @MB said:
    " The battery could be dead...the DSi sat for a year or so before I tried charging it. But, I can't even get the "charging" icon to stay lit when the unit is on...if the battery was toast, wouldn't it still operate when plugged in? "
    I know this sounds stupid, but... Are you sure it needs to charge? That sounds like what happens with my DSiXL when I plug it in without using it. 
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By ch13696

I have sort of the same issue with my DS Lite. I plug it in to charge and the light will be on for a few seconds and then go out. I've tried fiddling with the cord where the charger plugs into the DS and it seems to go on and off. So I tried messing with different parts and it turns out to be the charger. So, that could be your issue. The people at Gamestop could only test a charger for you if they have a spare used DSi or charger.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mike
    @AgentJ: Yeah, it'll come on but just barely. The battery icon shows that it's about to die.
    Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Contro
    ZolaKluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By ZolaKluke

Well that happened with my Ds too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.