Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

First DSi exclusive game for Europe - don't get excited.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool

Now we get to see an exclusive packing for a DSi exclusive game  Tell me what you think.   Is it sufficiently different enough not to confuse the market?  It is pretty hard to miss that top line.

The game itself is shovelware, but read about what it does and maybe we can discuss how these things can be utilised in a gamer's game.   The only one here seems to be face recognition.  How do you think the camera could be utilised in a way we would be interested? 

Could we turn real life photos into the basis of making your own platform game, like Mario or Drawn to Life?  I could see that being interesting.  Any good ideas?

Publisher 505 Games has announced that their upcoming game Hair Salon will be the first Nintendo DSi-only title released in Europe.

505 Games have today announced that Nintendo has confirmed 
    Hair Salon as the first Nintendo DSi only game to be released in Europe. The interactive title makes use of the console's built in camera, meaning the November 13th release date will mark the first time a boxed Nintendo DSi exclusive title will appear in stores.

Hair Salon, developed by Sonic Powered, makes full use of the Nintendo DSi camera function. It is the perfect game for girls of all ages who are interested in the world of hair and make-up. By utilising the built in camera, players can take photos of themselves or friends and can create brand new looks and styles. Players can even become the in game character. Hair Salon is also the first game to use Automatic Face Recognition- a technical innovation that will automatically take a user's picture once their face is in shot, ensuring a picture perfect photo every time.

Screenshots of 
    Hair Salon for Nintendo DS

"505 Games have a long, successful history with the Nintendo DS platform so it is only natural that we would respond and adapt innovatively to the new format." commented Victoria Martin, Global Brand Manager for 505 Games. "Hair Salon offers a fully interactive hairstyling experience for young girls and we are excited to see how the consumer will react to the content we've produced for the Nintendo DSi"

Hair Salon will be published exclusively on Nintendo DSi by 505 Games and releases on the 13th November.
    Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Brunchies

Maybe you can take pictures of the environment you are in and your character can use them as platforms and it would be like a puzzle game. It would probably fail because of it's ambitions but it is still an idea.  So if you took a picture of a ledge or your computer, your character in the game could use the top of the computer as a ledge to get pass a pool of acid or something, So it would be a platform puzzle game.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By Karmum

Come on oldschool! This "game" has triple AAA written all over it!

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By oldschool
    @Brunchies said:
    " Maybe you can take pictures of the environment you are in and your character can use them as platforms and it would be like a puzzle game. It would probably fail because of it's ambitions but it is still an idea.  So if you took a picture of a ledge or your computer, your character in the game could use the top of the computer as a ledge to get pass a pool of acid or something, So it would be a platform puzzle game. "
    See, I like this.  You could be a bit creative with the environment around you and take pictures isolated to a certain area like you said.  You could create your own levels in a Chibi-Robo like game.  Then, like in Mario Minis March Again, on the DSi, you could just layer in your platform parts to look like you jumping up the the toaster or whatever.  I hope they are working on stuff like that.  I think the DSi could handle it.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By oldschool
    @Karmum said:
    " Come on oldschool! This "game" has triple AAA written all over it! "
    If each of the letters stands for "arse", then Karmum, yo are correct  ^_^ 

Although .......... I still have a full head of hair ......... so  maybe ...........
    CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CowMuffins
    @Karmum said:
    Wow 9 A's, that game sure is the number 1 priority for 505 Games.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By oldschool
    @CowMuffins said:
    " @Karmum said:
    Wow 9 A's, that game sure is the number 1 priority for 505 Games. "
    Well they have brought us Princess On Ice (clearly a drug related game akin tho Grand Theft Auto) and My Pet Dolphin, so they are well respected. 

I was thinking about my last suggest and I want a do-over.  I want to create own Advance War maps using the camera, where it grids your cropped photo and you build you scenario into that.  That would be a use I could dig.  Build your own strategy games.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By eroticfishcake

Yaaaaaaaaa- UHWHA?!

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By oldschool
    @eroticfishcake said:
    " Yaaaaaaaaa- UHWHA?! "
    Oh come on, I can just see you trying all those hairstyles on, just to see what you could look like with a bit of effort.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By oldschool

I have to come clean.  I am a developer at 505 games and I can share, exclusively with Giantbomb, my next DSi exclusive game in this series: 

No Caption Provided

We have managed to get the camera to master boob and bum recognition.  In this game, we encourage little girls to explore how they will look with bigger boobs, as smaller nose, fuller lips, liposuction and a rib removed.  Getting the next generation of girls ready for the next generation of boys. 

So what do you think?
    bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#11  Edited By bed
    @Karmum said:

AAA is merely an understatement.  

@oldschool said: 
     We have managed to get the camera to master boob and bum recognition.  In this game, we encourage little girls to explore how they will look with bigger boobs, as smaller nose, fuller lips, liposuction and a rib removed.  Getting the next generation of girls ready for the next generation of boys.  So what do you think? "
    what do I think? that's the most fucking brilliant idea i've ever seen. 
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By oldschool
    @AjayRaz said:
    "@oldschool said: 
     We have managed to get the camera to master boob and bum recognition.  In this game, we encourage little girls to explore how they will look with bigger boobs, as smaller nose, fuller lips, liposuction and a rib removed.  Getting the next generation of girls ready for the next generation of boys.  So what do you think? "
    what do I think? that's the most fucking brilliant idea i've ever seen.  "
    Thanks.  My marketing genius knows no bounds.  It isn't about the gaming experience, it is all about the money.  That is how we work at 505.  ^-^
    bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#13  Edited By bed
    @oldschool: me and you have to team up with Team Ninja and make some kickass game 
    we'll make millions!!!!!!
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By oldschool
    @AjayRaz said:
    " @oldschool: me and you have to team up with Team Ninja and make some kickass game we'll make millions!!!!!! "
    Yes, Team Ninja, they are the ones who perfected boob jiggle right?  If so, agreed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.