Get a DSi now or wait till next year for DSi XL?

Avatar image for bd_mr_bubbles
#1 Posted by BD_Mr_Bubbles (1841 posts) -

Topic
Avatar image for septim
#2 Posted by septim (787 posts) -

Do you have a DS phat or lite? There have been more than murmurs about the DS2 coming shortly. I would wait til then.

Avatar image for bd_mr_bubbles
#3 Posted by BD_Mr_Bubbles (1841 posts) -
@septim said:
"Do you have a DS phat or lite? There have been more than murmurs about the DS2 coming shortly. I would wait til then. "

I'm one of the few who has not had any version of the DS.
Avatar image for andrewb
#4 Posted by AndrewB (7815 posts) -

If you must need a DS immediately, I'd suggest going for the cheaper Lite. If you like the features of the DSi, specifically, I'd go with the smaller DSi. Easier to fit in your pocket and carry around with you. If you don't mind waiting longer, there have already been plenty of rumors about the next DS handheld. I'd at least wait 'till E3. I mean, you've held out this long, what's a few moths more?

Avatar image for bd_mr_bubbles
#5 Posted by BD_Mr_Bubbles (1841 posts) -

Part of me wants to wait but part of me just wants to bite the bullet.
Avatar image for jjor64
#6 Posted by JJOR64 (19686 posts) -

I would just wait for the DSi XL.  It's all the parts of the DSi with huge ass screens.

Avatar image for bones8677
#7 Posted by Bones8677 (3500 posts) -

Neither, get the DS Lite.

Avatar image for weltal
#8 Posted by Weltal (2304 posts) -

As far as I know the DSi XL is being marketed to older people. So unless your vision is bad or you are unable to hold the smaller system I'd say go with the DSi now.

Avatar image for slurpelve
#9 Posted by Slurpelve (688 posts) -

I'm wait next year for a price drop for the DSi and plus the DSi XL maybe going to have a higher price tag.

Avatar image for halberdierv2
#10 Edited by Halberdierv2 (1996 posts) -

hardwarewise, there is no difference, so its up to youwhat size you want. I personally would get the XL, but that's because Im not a kid and I dont want a small DS.

Avatar image for nohthink
#11 Posted by nohthink (1369 posts) -

Get a DS. It is the best DS.

Avatar image for agentj
#12 Posted by AgentJ (8995 posts) -

I'm personally waiting until the XL comes out locally before I make my decision. Theoretically it's coming out before Shantae hits DSiware so I have plenty of time. I really like the idea of bigger screens, but I worry about the portability aspect.

Avatar image for willy105
#13 Posted by Willy105 (4915 posts) -

If you already have a DS, no need for DSi until the big DSi exclusive titles exists.
 
If you don't, whether to get the DSi or DSi XL is just on what size you like the most. Nintendo made the XL because the older adults who played wanted the system to be bigger. The smaller one offers more portability however.

Avatar image for bd_mr_bubbles
#14 Posted by BD_Mr_Bubbles (1841 posts) -

If the size really is the only difference i'm leaning towards the DSi now because its more pocket friendly and lord knows I already have a cluttered gaming room (yes i'm one of those people with a room specifically for gaming/computing/tv) 
Avatar image for kennybaese
#15 Posted by kennybaese (728 posts) -

Yeah, the DSi XL looks fucking HUGE. If you want to carry the thing around in your pocket, unless you're a fan of those cargo pants with the massive pockets, you'd kind of be screwed. Unless you're like me and you take a backpack with you everywhere. 

Avatar image for agentboolen
#16 Posted by agentboolen (1990 posts) -

hmmm I didn't even know they were making a XL DSI it looks cool but I don't really need a bigger DS... But for grandma it might be a good xmas gift.

Avatar image for nasar7
#17 Posted by Nasar7 (3210 posts) -

If you plan on playing it on the go, the DSi/ Lite are smaller and more portable.

Avatar image for castro
#18 Posted by Castro (942 posts) -

I don't know. I'd say get the DSi because it's smaller. If you have huge pockets and aren't concerned with massive size, you could totally wait for the DSi XL. Personally, I'd be fine with the DSi as I think games will probably look a lot better on it? I don't know all the details on the DSi XL, but I seriously doubt that the games will be rendered in a higher resolution to accommodate whatever the resolution of the larger screens.

Avatar image for bd_mr_bubbles
#19 Posted by BD_Mr_Bubbles (1841 posts) -
@Castro said:
"I don't know. I'd say get the DSi because it's smaller. If you have huge pockets and aren't concerned with massive size, you could totally wait for the DSi XL. Personally, I'd be fine with the DSi as I think games will probably look a lot better on it? I don't know all the details on the DSi XL, but I seriously doubt that the games will be rendered in a higher resolution to accommodate whatever the resolution of the larger screens. "

Yeah games could end up looking really pixelated on the larger screens depending on whether the system can upscale the graphics for the larger screens but after finding out the only difference is size i'll go with the DSi I sold my PSP (lack of quality games, GoW and Persona were my only good ones) so I need a new portable system.  Thanks guys.
Avatar image for emilio
#20 Posted by Emilio (3581 posts) -

Wait until the holiday shopping for a DSi. 
 
Do you really want a big ol' DSi XL? 
 
I do.... :)

Avatar image for toowalrus
#21 Posted by TooWalrus (13394 posts) -

I'd prefer the smaller screen over the big one, personally. In my mind, the point of the DS is it's portability, and the XL kinda defeats the purpose.

Avatar image for oldschool
#22 Posted by oldschool (7641 posts) -
@BD_Mr_Bubbles said:
" If the size really is the only difference i'm leaning towards the DSi now because its more pocket friendly and lord knows I already have a cluttered gaming room (yes i'm one of those people with a room specifically for gaming/computing/tv)  "
I agree that there is no need to wait for the XL unless you really want the larger screens.  The current DSi screens are bigger than the DS Lite anyway and easy to play on.  If you are going to spend money, I think you are better off with the DSi over the Lite, simply because you have the option of DSiWare amd this year, 5 of the 20 best rated DS games were DSiWare -  The best 20 DS games of 2009? (according to critics)
Avatar image for bd_mr_bubbles
#23 Posted by BD_Mr_Bubbles (1841 posts) -
@oldschool said:
" @BD_Mr_Bubbles said:
" If the size really is the only difference i'm leaning towards the DSi now because its more pocket friendly and lord knows I already have a cluttered gaming room (yes i'm one of those people with a room specifically for gaming/computing/tv)  "
I agree that there is no need to wait for the XL unless you really want the larger screens.  The current DSi screens are bigger than the DS Lite anyway and easy to play on.  If you are going to spend money, I think you are better off with the DSi over the Lite, simply because you have the option of DSiWare amd this year, 5 of the 20 best rated DS games were DSiWare -  The best 20 DS games of 2009? (according to critics) "

Yeah i've made up my mind I'm goimg to go get a DSi sometime today.
Avatar image for linkyshinks
#24 Posted by Linkyshinks (11400 posts) -

Get a DSi, think about portability. With a DSi, you also get a bigger screen than on the DS Lite, a much improved D Pad and better microphone.

Avatar image for oldschool
#25 Posted by oldschool (7641 posts) -
@oldschool said:
" @BD_Mr_Bubbles said:
" If the size really is the only difference i'm leaning towards the DSi now because its more pocket friendly and lord knows I already have a cluttered gaming room (yes i'm one of those people with a room specifically for gaming/computing/tv)  "
I agree that there is no need to wait for the XL unless you really want the larger screens.  The current DSi screens are bigger than the DS Lite anyway and easy to play on.  If you are going to spend money, I think you are better off with the DSi over the Lite, simply because you have the option of DSiWare amd this year, 5 of the 20 best rated DS games were DSiWare -  The best 20 DS games of 2009? (according to critics) "
Hope you enjoy, and if you are looking at games worth buying, just go here -  The Decisive Quality DS List  - or just start a thread about what you like and if there are any good games.
Avatar image for demontium
#26 Posted by demontium (5084 posts) -
@BD_Mr_Bubbles: Wait.
Avatar image for oldschool
#27 Posted by oldschool (7641 posts) -
@demontium said:
" @BD_Mr_Bubbles: Wait. "  
I think it's too late  ^-^
Avatar image for bd_mr_bubbles
#28 Posted by BD_Mr_Bubbles (1841 posts) -
@oldschool said:
" @demontium said:
" @BD_Mr_Bubbles: Wait. "  
I think it's too late  ^-^ "

Yep got a DSi it's awesome.
Avatar image for imhuntad
#29 Posted by imhuntad (320 posts) -

So, here is my confusing guide to buying any form of Nintendo DS: 
 
1. Do you have a DS of any kind?  
2. Do you have a Gameboy SP or anything that can play GBA games? 
3. Do you care at all to play Gameboy Advance games?
4. Do you care for DSiWare, a Camera on a DS? 
5. Do you care if the DS fits in your pocket?
 
If you answered yes to number 1, consider numbers 2, 3, and 4.  
If you answered no to numbers 1-3, buy a DSi      
If you answered yes to number 2 at all, then the upgrade to a DSi will not hurt you. 
If you answered yes to number 3, but no to number 2, buy a DS Lite.
If you answered yes to number 4, buy a DSi. 
If you answered no to number 5, wait for the DSi XL. 
 
I'll edit it later if I made any mistakes. Last final of the college semester! Cya!

Avatar image for oldschool
#30 Posted by oldschool (7641 posts) -
@BD_Mr_Bubbles said:
" @oldschool said:
" @demontium said:
" @BD_Mr_Bubbles: Wait. "  
I think it's too late  ^-^ "
Yep got a DSi it's awesome. "
What games have you picked up so far then?
Avatar image for bd_mr_bubbles
#31 Posted by BD_Mr_Bubbles (1841 posts) -
@oldschool said:
" @BD_Mr_Bubbles said:
" @oldschool said:
" @demontium said:
" @BD_Mr_Bubbles: Wait. "  
I think it's too late  ^-^ "
Yep got a DSi it's awesome. "
What games have you picked up so far then? "

Just Spirit Tracks so far but there will be more.
Avatar image for oldschool
#32 Posted by oldschool (7641 posts) -
@BD_Mr_Bubbles said:
" @oldschool said:
" @BD_Mr_Bubbles said:
" @oldschool said:
" @demontium said:
" @BD_Mr_Bubbles: Wait. "  
I think it's too late  ^-^ "
Yep got a DSi it's awesome. "
What games have you picked up so far then? "
Just Spirit Tracks so far but there will be more. "
Awesome start though.
Avatar image for bd_mr_bubbles
#33 Posted by BD_Mr_Bubbles (1841 posts) -

Yeah its great.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.