Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

My experience with the DS so far #1.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

Edited By Phatmac

So I just got a DS a short while ago. Yeah, you heard right. I bet most folks on here have owned a DS at some point. I still feel regret at not buying a DS during it's prime. I than realized that I'm lucky to be experiencing a ton of new games that others have already enjoyed. So for the most part I've been playing a handheld console instead of my main home consoles. This is especially weird for me as I'm not a huge fan of mobile games unless the games themselves are great. Any who, I've been playing some DS games so let's talk about them.

New Super Mario Bros

Yeah I actually missed out on this game and I'm bummed out that I didn't play it sooner. I honestly haven't played a 2D Mario platformer in a good long while so I was giddy with excitement once I started playing it. In short it's rad. I'm a sucker for good platformers, mario games especially. The game plays like most mario platformers but also brings some cool new tricks. The improved graphics are apparent enough as it does stand out for me. The big surprise for me is seeing a universal art style that is both cool and disappointing considering how safe it looks. I expected an easy mario game with all of the worlds fully available to me. It did the opposite. It actually looks worlds until you find out secret ways to unlock worlds. This caught me for surprise as I gussed that most mario games now were casual experiences that everyone can play and beat without finding out secret exits into the locked worlds. I like what they were going for and it made me go back and look for these exits. The other new additions are new suits like giant mario which I love. Overall it's a solid mario platformer that satisfied my platforming needs.

Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story

I freaking love this franchise. It's just so weird considering how tame most mario games are with comedy and even in story. I didn't expect much from Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga as I got it randomly at a Gamestop. I didn't expect to be playing one of my personal favorite games ever. It really is all about the comedy and how oddly charming the whole franchise is. Just think about how weird these games are and how much they each flesh out Mario's universe. This is why I really am loving Bowser's Inside Story. I'm actually surprised that the title of this game doesn't have Bowsers at the front as this is basically more of a Bowser game. The thought of making a mario game that is all about Bowser is crazy. It's risks like this that make me love these games and it really is all about the dialogue between characters. It is just so smartly written and genuinely funny. I still chuckle when either Mario bro talks in their fake Italian language. I absolutely love the treatment that Bowser is given as a sympathetic figure at times. This is the Bowser game that we've always wanted and I love it so far. I'm still playing it so I'll report back in on my final thoughts on it. The combat is pretty much the same thing that we've been playing except we control Bowser this time. My only disappointment with the game so far is how small the world is compared to previous games. I guess it can be excused when I'm fighting giant castles.

I'll report back in with another blog on my DS adventure. Tune in for my thoughts on the first Phoenix Wright game, Elite Beat Agents, and some Layton. I'm chomping at the bit for some more games.

Bye for now.

/Matt

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Phatmac

So I just got a DS a short while ago. Yeah, you heard right. I bet most folks on here have owned a DS at some point. I still feel regret at not buying a DS during it's prime. I than realized that I'm lucky to be experiencing a ton of new games that others have already enjoyed. So for the most part I've been playing a handheld console instead of my main home consoles. This is especially weird for me as I'm not a huge fan of mobile games unless the games themselves are great. Any who, I've been playing some DS games so let's talk about them.

New Super Mario Bros

Yeah I actually missed out on this game and I'm bummed out that I didn't play it sooner. I honestly haven't played a 2D Mario platformer in a good long while so I was giddy with excitement once I started playing it. In short it's rad. I'm a sucker for good platformers, mario games especially. The game plays like most mario platformers but also brings some cool new tricks. The improved graphics are apparent enough as it does stand out for me. The big surprise for me is seeing a universal art style that is both cool and disappointing considering how safe it looks. I expected an easy mario game with all of the worlds fully available to me. It did the opposite. It actually looks worlds until you find out secret ways to unlock worlds. This caught me for surprise as I gussed that most mario games now were casual experiences that everyone can play and beat without finding out secret exits into the locked worlds. I like what they were going for and it made me go back and look for these exits. The other new additions are new suits like giant mario which I love. Overall it's a solid mario platformer that satisfied my platforming needs.

Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story

I freaking love this franchise. It's just so weird considering how tame most mario games are with comedy and even in story. I didn't expect much from Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga as I got it randomly at a Gamestop. I didn't expect to be playing one of my personal favorite games ever. It really is all about the comedy and how oddly charming the whole franchise is. Just think about how weird these games are and how much they each flesh out Mario's universe. This is why I really am loving Bowser's Inside Story. I'm actually surprised that the title of this game doesn't have Bowsers at the front as this is basically more of a Bowser game. The thought of making a mario game that is all about Bowser is crazy. It's risks like this that make me love these games and it really is all about the dialogue between characters. It is just so smartly written and genuinely funny. I still chuckle when either Mario bro talks in their fake Italian language. I absolutely love the treatment that Bowser is given as a sympathetic figure at times. This is the Bowser game that we've always wanted and I love it so far. I'm still playing it so I'll report back in on my final thoughts on it. The combat is pretty much the same thing that we've been playing except we control Bowser this time. My only disappointment with the game so far is how small the world is compared to previous games. I guess it can be excused when I'm fighting giant castles.

I'll report back in with another blog on my DS adventure. Tune in for my thoughts on the first Phoenix Wright game, Elite Beat Agents, and some Layton. I'm chomping at the bit for some more games.

Bye for now.

/Matt

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By csl316

I tend to recommend Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia and Contra 4 to everyone. Quite enjoyed Sonic Rush, as well. It's a nifty little system.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By BraveToaster

I recommend Super Scribblenauts.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By NegativeCero

Somehow despite owning dozens of DS games, I missed those two. Glad you're having fun with it.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Phatmac

@csl316said:

I tend to recommend Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia and Contra 4 to everyone. Quite enjoyed Sonic Rush, as well. It's a nifty little system.

Yeah I really want to play some good old classic Castlevania games on the DS.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Deusx

B-but why didn't you just get a 3DS? Price? Anyways, I would recomend 999. One of the best games EVER.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By csl316

@Phatmac said:

@csl316said:

Yeah I really want to play some good old classic Castlevania games on the DS.

All 3 are solid, though Dawn of Sorrow has you do stylus commands after beating a boss (which is the WORST way to die). I enjoyed Portrait of Ruin quite a bit but have heard mixed things. And Order of Ecclesia is right up there with Symphony of the Night for me, though it's a very different game.

JunkHype

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JunkHype

Awesome stuff, I got a DS last week. I haven't played much, a little bit of New Super Mario Bros and Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. Good stuff, playing a Zelda game with a stylus is weird! but cool.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Phatmac

@Deusx said:

B-but why didn't you just get a 3DS? Price? Anyways, I would recomend 999. One of the best games EVER.

I'll be getting a 3DS once it has a few more games. I'll be getting it by december for sure.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Phatmac

@vorpalparasite said:

Awesome stuff, I got a DS last week. I haven't played much, a little bit of New Super Mario Bros and Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. Good stuff, playing a Zelda game with a stylus is weird! but cool.

Glad I'm not alone in my quest to explore the DS library of games!

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Ben_H

The Mario And Luigi games are amazing. I haven't finished Bowser's Inside Story but I adored the original. I swear all the Mario RPGs are amazing. I'm actually playing through Super Mario RPG right now myself (with an actual cartridge on an actual SNES, no emulations mumbo jumbo) and it stands up. I can definitely see the influence of it in the Paper Marios and in Mario & Luigi. 

Yeah the DS is awesome. I got a launch DS for Christmas in 2004 and used it religiously for 6 years until I got a DSi. I just recently discovered the awesomeness of the Ace Attorney series so I bought all those and have been playing through them, bringing new life to my DS. I use my DSi more than my Xbox now. You'll love Phoenix Wright. Those games are probably among my favourite now and didn't think I would like them. You will lose whole days to working on a case though. It's really addicting.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By yoshimitz707

Castlevania: Portait of Ruin is my favorite of the 3 games. Ecclesia was way too hard for me so I didn't get very far.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#13  Edited By Hailinel

@yoshimitz707 said:

Castlevania: Portait of Ruin is my favorite of the 3 games. Ecclesia was way too had for me so I didn't get very far.

Ecclesia was hard, but also my favorite of the DS entries. Portrait of Ruin is a close second, though.

AsperGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AsperGamer

If you do not play an Advance Wars game, then you do not deserve to own a DS!

Bloody games soaked up 1400 hours of my life and I loved every damn minute of it.

jewunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jewunit

I am in the process of whittling down my DS library and selling the handheld. I have a lot of fond memories with the system, but I am ready to move forward. I have offered some suggestions below:

If you enjoy adventure games, the Phoenix Wright games, Ghost Trick, and 999 are all spectacular. Henry Hatsworth is a platform/puzzle hybrid game that is sure to give you a challenge.

If you like RPGs, the Dragon Quest games are worth a look. If you are willing to import it from Europe, the Inazuma Eleven games are neat too. They are essentially RPGs where the battles consist of soccer/football matches.

Speaking of imports, the DS is region free. If you like Smash Bros.-style games, the Jump Superstars games should be of interest to you. Elite Beat Agents/Ouendan are quirky rhythm games. You can also grab the GBA import Rhythm Heaven and/or the DS Rhythm Heaven game. Both should work on your DS just fine. Lastly, Chousouju Mecha MG is a game where you pilot a mech using controls on your DS. It's pretty crazy, but it plays well.

I hope to hear more about your adventures with the DS. It really is a great system.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Ben_H
    @AsperGamer said:

Bloody games soaked up 1400 hours of my life and I loved every damn minute of it.

Yeah I had a disgusting amount of time sunk into the original Advance Wars myself. I knew how to complete one map in 14 turns perfectly. Why did I know that? Who knows. I just did.
    Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Phatmac

@AsperGamer said:

I've heard good things! I really want it. :(

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Phatmac

@jewunit said:

I am in the process of whittling down my DS library and selling the handheld. I have a lot of fond memories with the system, but I am ready to move forward. I have offered some suggestions below:

If you enjoy adventure games, the Phoenix Wright games, Ghost Trick, and 999 are all spectacular. Henry Hatsworth is a platform/puzzle hybrid game that is sure to give you a challenge.

If you like RPGs, the Dragon Quest games are worth a look. If you are willing to import it from Europe, the Inazuma Eleven games are neat too. They are essentially RPGs where the battles consist of soccer/football matches.

Speaking of imports, the DS is region free. If you like Smash Bros.-style games, the Jump Superstars games should be of interest to you. Elite Beat Agents/Ouendan are quirky rhythm games. You can also grab the GBA import Rhythm Heaven and/or the DS Rhythm Heaven game. Both should work on your DS just fine. Lastly, Chousouju Mecha MG is a game where you pilot a mech using controls on your DS. It's pretty crazy, but it plays well.

I hope to hear more about your adventures with the DS. It really is a great system.

Thanks for the recommendations! I've never played a Dragon Quest game so I'll probably play one soon. :)

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#19  Edited By AndrewB

Everyone should be given a DS when they're born. Such a great system from what looked like a game-less gimmick (which I just happened to buy close to day one for some god awful reason).

Weird. I enjoyed Superstar Saga immensely, but didn't really like Partners in Time (mostly because I HATE baby Mario). It turned me off to buying Bowser's Inside Story.

Get a Pokemon game! Now would be the time to get Black or White deux. Also, Phantom Hourglass, 999, and Henry Hatsworth. For a Castlevania game I'd go with Aria of Sorrow. Best music/mechanics, minus the aforementioned (in this thread) problem with the bosses where you have to have that stylus ready to do a stupid gesture and if you miss the timing window, have to fight it over again without regaining any of your health or items back.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

Bowsers Inside Story is so so good. Loved it. If you wanna get a good DSiWare game (there are actually good games there!) id recommend Shantae: Risky's Revenge. Awesome Wayforward platformer.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By JoeyRavn

@Deusx said:

Anyways, I would recomend 999. One of the best games EVER.

I came to say exactly this. Glad to see 999 is well represented in Giant Bomb.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By GunstarRed

I was late to the DS also, I only really started messing with it about two and a bit years ago. I always thought I was uninterested in the kind of games it offered, but I find myself messing with my DS/3DS more than I do my consoles. I find myself carrying both when I leave the house, and always have one near to me in the house. I'm really, really glad I have played a bunch of games I very easily could have missed.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Phatmac

@TheSouthernDandy said:

Bowsers Inside Story is so so good. Loved it. If you wanna get a good DSiWare game (there are actually good games there!) id recommend Shantae: Risky's Revenge. Awesome Wayforward platformer.

It's cool that you get 1000 DSi points for free so I've been meaning to check out a game on the DSi ware. Thanks for the reminder!

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Phatmac

@JoeyRavn said:

@Deusx said:

Reading on it on the wiki here and it's apparently a visual novel? Can someone explain what the appeal for that game is?

TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TheSouthernDandy
    @Phatmac

@TheSouthernDandy said:

It's cool that you get 1000 DSi points for free so I've been meaning to check out a game on the DSi ware. Thanks for the reminder!

No dude. Also Mario vs Donkey Kong March of the Minis is another great DSiWare game. Cool Lemmings-esqu puzzle game you can make your own puzzles on. Oh also the DS version of Chrono Trigger is real good.
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

Also I meant "no prob dude" stupid no edit mobile site.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Phatmac

HOLY SHIT KURIBO'S SHOE IS IN BOWSER'S INSIDE STORY. I LOVE THIS GAME!

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Deusx

@Phatmac said:

@JoeyRavn said:

@Deusx said:

Reading on it on the wiki here and it's apparently a visual novel? Can someone explain what the appeal for that game is?

It's a story that has different paths depending on your actions. The puzles and the story are fucking gold, it's really unpredictable and most of the characters are really likable. Seriously, it's one of the best games I've played on the DS and in my top ten ever.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#29  Edited By StarFoxA

@csl316 said:

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow is the best DS Castlevania. Portrait of Ruin is great as well!

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SlightConfuse

@Phatmac said:

@JoeyRavn said:

@Deusx said:

if you like adventure games and games with awesome stries then play it. it is one of the best DS games.

mgray5159

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mgray5159

Gotta get Advance Wars: Days of Ruin

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By NegativeCero

@Phatmac: You just convinced me to buy Bowser's Inside Story. It would've happened sooner or later, but I'm excited.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Phatmac
    @NegativeCero

@Phatmac: You just convinced me to buy Bowser's Inside Story. It would've happened sooner or later, but I'm excited.

I just beat it and it is so damn good!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.