Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

Perils of game buying through e-bay: DSi detects fake games?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool

I haven't bought a game on e-bay for a couple of years now, but I happened to be looking for some reason tonight, and as I progressed, I began to realise what its biggest problem is:
    How do you know if it is real or fake? 

This one as an example of honesty is interesting: 
      This is my sons used Yu-Gi-Oh World Championship 2008 Nintendo DS game.

He recently upgraded his DS to a DSi and the game does not work on the DSi (indicating that it is a copy not an original), we have tested it and it still works on a DS.

For a used game it is in well used condition with marks and creases on the instruction book and the cover has tears on the plastic, marks on the cover on the bottom.  If you want send me your emails address and I can send you a larger picture.

The printing in the instruction booklet is quite poor and difficult to read. 

I have a  DSi and I was not aware that the system would detect fakes.  The trouble is, if the seller is not honest like this one was, you wouldn't realise it until you tried it.  I don't want fake games, but it is very hard to know.  What if someone bought a fake via China and then resold it as used?  You wouldn't know.   Now, at least I have an idea to look for the "Not DSi" part of any game for sale to help me a little should I choose to buy.

Does anyone buy them games on e-bay, or are you just too suspicious to bother risking it?
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By eroticfishcake

I'm way too suspicious to buy anything on eBay let alone online. I know it doesn't happen often but I really, really hate frauds and cheaters. I actually remember one case last Christmas when a mother wanted to buy a 360 for her son on eBay. Found a good deal and paid for it. A few weeks later they recieve an A4 envelope with a picture of a 360 in it.

So be careful around this Christmas when you're buying anything online folks!

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Scooper
    @eroticfishcake said:
    " I'm way to suspicious to buy anything on eBay. I know it doesn't happen often but I really, really hate frauds and cheaters. I actually remember once case last Christams when a mother wanted to buy a 360 for her son on eBay. Found a good deal and paid for it. A few weeks later they recieve an A4 envelope with a picture of a 360 in it.  So be careful around this Christmas when you're buying anything online folks! "
    My mate done that. He bought a tent for £60 on Ebay and 2 weeks later got an envelope with a picture of a tent in it. I did laugh at him when he told me.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Linkyshinks

I buy a fair few retro game on the site, but I have yet to buy a DS game. The games I buy there have little chance of being fake... I use all my powers of deduction, everyone needs to when buying stuff online, even with reputable sellers. 

Fools rush in.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By oldschool
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " I buy a fair few retro game on the site, but I have yet to buy a DS game. The games I buy there have little chance of being fake... I use all my powers of deduction, everyone needs to when buying stuff online, even with reputable sellers.  Fools rush in. "
    I think buying Wii, GBA and DS games is fraught with danger when dealing with e-bay.   I don't want a fake and I don't want to support criminals. 

Buying through reputable online sites like playasia and dvdboxoffice is completely fine in my view.
    subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By subject2change

Make sure the seller has good feedback and well isn't located in China/Hong Kong/etc, I know i've purchased a few games from Hong Kong cause they were cheaper and am almost positive after the fact they are fakes but they play fine on my DSlite.

I've never had issues with eBay personally besides damaged or misrepresented items and ALWAYS got a refund.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By oldschool
    @Subject2Change said:
    " Make sure the seller has good feedback and well isn't located in China/Hong Kong/etc, I know i've purchased a few games from Hong Kong cause they were cheaper and am almost positive after the fact they are fakes but they play fine on my DSlite.  I've never had issues with eBay personally besides damaged or misrepresented items and ALWAYS got a refund. "
    That is my point in the conversation I guess.  These games I see are clearly fake but they won't play on the DSi.  Whatever they did, Nintendo seems to have able to lock out fake games on that console.  I wasn't aware until last night that this appears to be the case.  I have never seen it mentioned anywhere.  As you can see with the description from the seller in the first post, he upgraded and has to sell the fake games. 

Anyone upgraded to a DSi and realised they have fake games?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.