Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

Who can claim the "longest time" save file on the DS?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool

Playing games on your DS can be seriously addictive.  I should know as I have been playing Advance Wars Days of Ruin almost non-stop since I bought it.  Sure, I have breaks with plenty of other games, but I seem to keep coming back to this game.  Before it, Advance Wars Dual Strike filled that spot.  The other day I decided to look at the History of the game and I have clocked up some serious hours. 

315 hours of my life right there in this picture.
     315 hours of my life right there in this picture.

I thought that was quite a lot, but then I popped in Advance Wars Dual Strike in as a matter of curiosity and this is what that looks like. 

Holy crap, 488 hours of my life.  That is 20+ complete days of war.
     Holy crap, 488 hours of my life.  That is 20+ complete days of war.

Well, now you know, I have no life.  Just on the 2 Advance Wars games, that is 813 hours of play.  If I checked my 2 GBA versions of the game, I am sure I would find numbers that are similar.  So here is the challenge: 
    Who has even less of a life than me?  Who can top these numbers?  Who is the most hardcore DS player here?  If you claim to top it, you must show photographic proof.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By oldschool

Sadly, with all the spam, this disappeared, so I am hoping some of the DS owners will see this, as I am actually very interested in the level of commitment owners have to a single game.  Hell, if there are games on other consoles that have logged times, that is just as interesting.  Maybe someone on WoW can show exactly how much of their life has been given over to it?

Sanryd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Sanryd

Holy shit, that kind of play time makes me want to check out these games, which one of the two would you recommend more?

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Emilio

Yow! I think I put a ton of hours into the Castlevanias. I don't have a total, but its a lot. Especially with all the different character modes and stuff.

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By KingBroly

I can't wait until someone posts their time in Pokemon and shames everyone.

Chuggsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Chuggsy

I was hoping to get a DS for my birthday soon, so I'll add Advance Wars to my list haha. Heard it was good from a few others, this makes me want to try it even more.

Also, over 300 hours is fucking insane. I haven't put 300 hours into anything in my life ever.  Then again I don't play MMOs, so that time played seems crazy, even more so for a DS game. Impressive-ass shit (very important hyphen placement there).

Avatar image for peepeepoopoo696
    peepeepoopoo696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By peepeepoopoo696

I have put about 50+ hours into Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor .

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By oldschool
    @tdk08 said:
    " Holy shit, that kind of play time makes me want to check out these games, which one of the two would you recommend more? "
    Dark Conflict (or Days of Ruin as it is also called in the USA) has better features because it has online.   You can continuously download other people's maps or play random strangers/friends as well.  However, Dual Strike is kind of a better game, being more true to the light-hearted roots of Advance Wars, especially the fact that it has a better record systems, so you just want to achieve an S ranking or a 100 score - you have your 5 best scores for each map.  I wish they made a new Dual Strike with some of the features of Dark Conflict.  So, I am torn.  But I still say go for Dark Conflict/Days of Ruin, as it has better online.  The main story is fairly engaging. plus it is pretty cheap at retail now.
    Sil3n7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Sil3n7

One of my friends played monster hunter over 7500 hours. I'm not kidding ...It's ridiculous.

theguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By theguy
    @Chuggsy said:
    "Impressive-ass shit (very important hyphen placement there). "  
    lol  

The most time I've spent playing anything was probably Oblivion. Dunno how much probably around 100+.
    Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Brunchies

That's crazy for a DS game, the longest time I put in anything would sadly be WOW clocking over 700 hours. It taught me never to play a mmo again.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By oldschool
    @Sil3n7 said:
    " One of my friends played monster hunter over 7500 hours. I'm not kidding ...It's ridiculous. "
    Man, that is over 312 days of a life - approaching a whole year.  I get an image of Cartman in the WoW episode when I read that.
    Snuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Snuffy

Hmm.  Good question.  I don't have my DS with my currently but my guess is probably about 150+ hours into Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2.  Maybe.  I know it's above 100.

If MMOs were in this scenario.. I'm sure we would have people who have over thousands of hours into a game.  Those things are addicting.  I know I've spent well over 500 hours into some games.

Chuggsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Chuggsy
    @Sil3n7 said:
    " One of my friends played monster hunter over 7500 hours. I'm not kidding ...It's ridiculous. "
    That's... messed up.
    kingofpeanuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kingofpeanuts

The longest game I've played was pokemon red with 390-ish. 

Sil3n7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Sil3n7
    @oldschool said:
    " @Sil3n7 said:
    Man, that is over 312 days of a life - approaching a whole year.  I get an image of Cartman in the WoW episode when I read that. "
    I know man. I did the math too. He played it religiously everyday as a kid. Used to get up before school early in the morning and play it then when he got back from school he played it till really late.
    Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I think something like 400 hours in a pokemon game 

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By oldschool
    @addictedtopinescent said:
    " I think something like 400 hours in a pokemon game  "
    If you still have the game, just pop it in the DS/GBA and check.  You may be shocked. 

@Atomasist said:
    " I have put about 50+ hours into Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor ."
    I can see someone playing Disgaea racking up similar or larger numbers, as that game is a serious commitment.
    spaded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By spaded

exactally 200 hours with pokimon diamond, my ex and i lived together, we spent a lot of time on that game, lol 

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By Steve_C

Dual Strike all the way.

Days of Ruin makes me cry like a little girl. I played it for a month or two after it came out, but I got stuck on on the late-game missions. It's so dman hard. I also didn't like how they took out the RPG stuff and a lot of the extra modes.

I can't top that time anyway. I think the most I have is about 180 hours on pkmn diamond.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By animateria

A bit over 100 hours on Pokemon DIamond.

340 hours on Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, this is not counting the times I''ve failed and reset the game. Probably 400 hours if I count all of that into the mix.

jinxman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jinxman

Ya, best I got's 170 hours in pokemon pearl lol.  400 hours is a shit load.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By oldschool
    @Steve_C said:
    " Dual Strike all the way.  Days of Ruin makes me cry like a little girl. I played it for a month or two after it came out, but I got stuck on on the late-game missions. It's so dman hard. I also didn't like how they took out the RPG stuff and a lot of the extra modes.  I can't top that time anyway. I think the most I have is about 180 hours on pkmn diamond. "
    You get the whole Dual Strike thing like me.  I still play Dark Conflict because of downloading new maps, although, I have started the campaign again, because it has been a long while.  Dual Strike gave you a Hard Mode I think, when you completed the main story.  That was freakin' hard in some of the missions.  I know there are 2 games this gen, just like on the GBA, but I am really desperate for a new one, so here's hoping for a 3DS launch title. 

Plus, I want Intelligent Systems to make an Advance Wars Wii game, not a Battalion Wars one.  I want it like their Fire Emblem games, enhanced graphics, big maps and more.  That would be a pre-order for me.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#24  Edited By AgentJ

I can't seem to play any game quite as much as you. At least you get your money's worth. I'm up over 80 on clash of heroes, and just as much on Disgaea(fuck that game) but I'm pretty confident I don't have anything approaching triple digits. 

somethingepic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By somethingepic
    @Sil3n7:  man i must like monster hunter O.x
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By oldschool
    @AgentJ said:
    " I can't seem to play any game quite as much as you. At least you get your money's worth. I'm up over 80 on clash of heroes, and just as much on Disgaea(fuck that game) but I'm pretty confident I don't have anything approaching triple digits.  "
    I thought of you when I mentioned Disgaea.  I think when I get Clash of Heroes, I have a feeling that I might clock in a few hours with it.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#27  Edited By Meowayne

I don't know how many hours it was, but definitely Advance Wars: Dual Strike for me as well, wenn I plowed through normal and hard mode.

That game is a masterpiece, and a monster of content. Hard mode was so great because it didn't simply change unit stats, but delivered completely alternative situations and objectives for every map. Simply, truly great.

But 480 hours, that's crazy.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By oldschool
    @Meowayne said:
    " I don't know how many hours it was, but definitely Advance Wars: Dual Strike for me as well, wenn I plowed through normal and hard mode. That game is a masterpiece, and a monster of content. Hard mode was so great because it didn't simply change unit stats, but delivered completely alternative situations and objectives for every map. Simply, truly great. But 480 hours, that's crazy. "
    That's 488 hours  :/ 

Now I have the urge to play the campaign again.  I need to crack the 500 hour mark.  It has to be said, that about 350 hours of it was on the toilet.  Sorry, but that is the truth.  It is the ideal toilet game  :-)
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have probably 200 days worth of play time across my WoW characters.  I played Pokemon Gold quite a bit, but probably no longer than 30 hours.  I don't have the game any more, so I can't check :/

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By oldschool
    @xobballox said:
    " I have probably 200 days worth of play time across my WoW characters.  I played Pokemon Gold quite a bit, but probably no longer than 30 hours.  I don't have the game any more, so I can't check :/ "
    Imagine how many hours the average South Korean plays on Starcraft!!!!!!!!!!
    Avatar image for deactivated-5b6c667dde711
    deactivated-5b6c667dde711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 5

I have 260 hours on Pokemon Pearl alone, although I know people who have gone well over 1000 there.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldschool: More than I can imagine :P  I'm trying to resist getting back into WoW.  Blizzard being the mischievous bastards that they are gave me a 7 day free membership yesterday, and I'm really wanting to start it again.  I really don't have the time to play it, but it's so hard to resist.
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By animateria
    @oldschool said:
    " @xobballox said:
    " I have probably 200 days worth of play time across my WoW characters.  I played Pokemon Gold quite a bit, but probably no longer than 30 hours.  I don't have the game any more, so I can't check :/ "
    Imagine how many hours the average South Korean plays on Starcraft!!!!!!!!!! "
    Add in the hours they spend watching others play Starcraft into that... Starcraft isn't a hobby, it's a lifestyle...

I guess the same could be said for WoW.... God damn Blizzard... You're doing it all too well!
    Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By Kyreo
    @oldschool: Okay whoah whoah whoah. 

Are you insinuating that Days of Ruin is better than Dual strike?  Cuz Im a HUGE Advance Wars fan and if thats the better version for the DS I NEED to know....
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By oldschool
    @Kyreo said:
    " @oldschool: Okay whoah whoah whoah.  Are you insinuating that Days of Ruin is better than Dual strike?  Cuz Im a HUGE Advance Wars fan and if thats the better version for the DS I NEED to know.... "
    No, no, no, no, no.  Settle down there big guy.  Dual Strike is a much better game, but Dark Conflict has newer features, being online and more maps, that would make it generally a better recommendation to others.  The best part about Dual Strike is the records so you can keep trying to beat you highest score, plus the "friendlier" story is much better.  That is why I want a new game, like Dual Strike, and with the online features of Dark Conflict.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By oldschool
    @xobballox said:
    " @oldschool: More than I can imagine :P  I'm trying to resist getting back into WoW.  Blizzard being the mischievous bastards that they are gave me a 7 day free membership yesterday, and I'm really wanting to start it again.  I really don't have the time to play it, but it's so hard to resist. "
    I have never got into MMORPGs.  The biggest issue is cost.  I really don't like paying monthly fees, as then I feel some obligation to use it.  Plus, it is a bandwidth killer and I have precious little to spare.  We tried Guild Wars for a while (as it is free to play), but even that dropped off very quickly. 

However, they are clearly drug dealers trying to get you hooked.  Don't do it man  :/
    obiwan1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By obiwan1337

I wish I had a record of how much Diablo II I played.  I would get home from school and just do cow run after cow run.  Then Baal run after Baal run.  I had 4 level 99 characters and countless other high level project characters.  My addiction to Diablo II carried over to new computers and was on again off again from it's release until about a year and a half ago when my account got hacked and I stopped playing.  Damn Blizzard, also got me addicted to Starcraft, Warcraft III and WoW. 

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#38  Edited By Kyreo
    @oldschool said:

" @Kyreo said:

" @oldschool: Okay whoah whoah whoah.  Are you insinuating that Days of Ruin is better than Dual strike?  Cuz Im a HUGE Advance Wars fan and if thats the better version for the DS I NEED to know.... "
    No, no, no, no, no.  Settle down there big guy.  Dual Strike is a much better game, but Dark Conflict has newer features, being online and more maps, that would make it generally a better recommendation to others.  The best part about Dual Strike is the records so you can keep trying to beat you highest score, plus the "friendlier" story is much better.  That is why I want a new game, like Dual Strike, and with the online features of Dark Conflict. "
    I wish Intelligent Systems would make the Hybrid game that has the shiny bright troops and happy smiles aspect to war and the features of Days of Ruin.   

but would you recommend Days of Ruin to a guy like me?  (a guy that Bought, played, played, wore down, lost, bought again, and played some more Dual Strike)
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By xyzygy

I put a huge amount of time into Castlevania Portrait of Ruin. God that game is awesome.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By oldschool
    @Kyreo said:
    " @oldschool said:

" @Kyreo said:

No, no, no, no, no.  Settle down there big guy.  Dual Strike is a much better game, but Dark Conflict has newer features, being online and more maps, that would make it generally a better recommendation to others.  The best part about Dual Strike is the records so you can keep trying to beat you highest score, plus the "friendlier" story is much better.  That is why I want a new game, like Dual Strike, and with the online features of Dark Conflict. "
    I wish Intelligent Systems would make the Hybrid game that has the shiny bright troops and happy smiles aspect to war and the features of Days of Ruin.    but would you recommend Days of Ruin to a guy like me?  (a guy that Bought, played, played, wore down, lost, bought again, and played some more Dual Strike) "
    For sure I would.  The story is darker and not as much fun, but Advance Wars is chess on steroids, so you will still love all the new maps.  Plus, there are a lot of maps, as they have included many of the older ones, but now with new units to play with.  I can't wait to play it on a DSiXL when I get it.  You will also enjoy being able to play friends online and random strangers (I always found someone).  Maybe I need a proper online thread dedicated to those who have it here. 

Intelligent Systems are probably my favourite developer now.  With Fire Emblem (2 GBA, 1 DS, 1 GC and 1 Wii), plus the 4 Advance Wars games, that have provided me with well over 1500 hours of fun.  They do strategy games freakishly well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.