Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

Worth the Upgrade

Ross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By Ross

Is the DSI worth the upgrade from a DS Lite?  Looking for input from people with experience with the system.  Thanks.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#2  Edited By AgentJ

It really depends on what you want. There are a good number of quality DSI ware titles coming out, but at the cost of the GBA slot. You'll find more threads like this in the DS forum. If you think internet access, a low quality camera, a cool music player/mixer and funny photo editor on top of the DSI ware priviledges are worth the cash, then go for it. Otherwise, the Lite is just fine

If you just had a DS phat i'd say upgrade now.
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Brendan

None of the new features have brought enough to the quality of the system yet (especially DS shop) to really justify it, but I'm a hypocrite because I bought it on Day 1 only for the larger screens.  If you want the larger screens, remember sensei Nike's advice:  Just do it. 

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#5  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I still have my battle damaged launch-era DS chunky, and if that broke I would get a Lite because I still play GBA games (or at least Fire Emblem) fairly regularly. It's really a matter of taste.

Ross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6  Edited By Ross

Thanks for the input guys. 

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Systech

They didn't talk about the DSi Virtual Console at their Press Conference so I am tentatively not buying one.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By oldschool
    @ArbitraryWater said:
    " I still have my battle damaged launch-era DS chunky, and if that broke I would get a Lite because I still play GBA games (or at least Fire Emblem) fairly regularly. It's really a matter of taste. "
    Ahhh, Fire Emblem GBA.  Good times.  Man I gave those games a lot of love.

I have yet to get a DSi, but seriously want one.  I like the bigger screens above all else.  DSiWare will deliver the goods - eventually.  Virtual Console has to come - eventually.

I expect to get my first DSi for my birthday, late August.  It is as good an excuse as anything.  A black one.  Then I will wait for a cool colour or design edition for the usual second one.  Then my 6 DS collection will be complete  :-)
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9  Edited By Red

No. No it's not.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By oldschool
    @Red said:
    " No. No it's not. "
    Reasons man.  Reasons.
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11  Edited By Red
    @oldschool said:
    "
    @Red said:
    " No. No it's not. "
    Reasons man.  Reasons.
    "
    OK: you could get a much better camera and MP3 player for less, and DSiWare hasn't been going to hot.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By oldschool
    @Red said:
    "@oldschool said: 
    "@Red said: 
    " No. No it's not. "
    Reasons man.  Reasons.
    "
    OK: you could get a much better camera and MP3 player for less, and DSiWare hasn't been going to hot.
    "
    Camera - agreed.  Not worthy as a purchasing decision imo.

MP3 - agreed.  So many better players out there and I hve about 6 iPods around the house.  Nice addition, but not worthy as a purchasing decision imo.

DSiWare - kind of agree.  Still to prove itself and more a future benefit.

It really comes down to the screen still for me, but I do agree - it isn't essential.  The DS Lite is more than adequate for a while yet.  If money isn't a problem, then getting one is still worth it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.