Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Entertainment System

Platform »

The NES, also known as Famicom, launched in 1983 in Japan and 1985 in North America, where the video game industry was headed downhill due to a deluge of poor games and over-saturation. Nintendo's second home console became an enormous success, establishing consoles as a mainstream market in Japan and pulling the North American industry back to its feet.

Beginning of Giant NES Controller Table Project

CDUBBE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By CDUBBE

I’ve started work on a pretty hefty yet exciting project, building a NES Controller coffee table. I can’t really claim that it’s all that original, since I’ve seen several others made online already. I’m mainly pulling my inspiration from this guy’s, Kyle Downes, blog about the one he built. You can see the you tube video of his creation here. I also read that one was made by G4.

Basically it all came about out of a desire to find a good way of storing all of the random mess that comes with owning several different gaming systems. That, and a love for some classic games.   All that and a need for some kind of project to work on. My wife isn’t too optimistic. She thinks it’ll end up half completed and taking up space in her living room. On the plus side we live near my parents and my dad has a large shed with a pretty good wood working shop so I’ll be able to do all the work there.

Right now it’s all in the planning stages. Recently during my lunch breaks at work I’ve been working on drawing up some plans for the table. My thoughts are if I’m able to plan enough ahead of time, then the less likely it’ll be that the table will looked jacked up down the line. Using a drafting ruler I had left over from school I took measurements form a NES controller. Then using the modeling program I had at work I made a model of all the parts I would need to make out of wood. I’ll attach a couple pictures from that showing the designs I’ve made. Right now I’ve got it scaled up so it’ll be a little under two feet tall, but I might play around with that.

The ISO image of the 3D Model I've made. Still a work in Progress

I plan on getting the first few parts made sometime soon. Maybe the lid or the accents around the buttons. I still have to add the squares around the A and B buttons, but it shouldn’t take too long. I'm also absolutely open to any advice or suggestions. Hopefully this will turn out pretty cool.  

Here is a small example of the Dimensions of the Top

CDUBBE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By CDUBBE

I’ve started work on a pretty hefty yet exciting project, building a NES Controller coffee table. I can’t really claim that it’s all that original, since I’ve seen several others made online already. I’m mainly pulling my inspiration from this guy’s, Kyle Downes, blog about the one he built. You can see the you tube video of his creation here. I also read that one was made by G4.

Basically it all came about out of a desire to find a good way of storing all of the random mess that comes with owning several different gaming systems. That, and a love for some classic games.   All that and a need for some kind of project to work on. My wife isn’t too optimistic. She thinks it’ll end up half completed and taking up space in her living room. On the plus side we live near my parents and my dad has a large shed with a pretty good wood working shop so I’ll be able to do all the work there.

Right now it’s all in the planning stages. Recently during my lunch breaks at work I’ve been working on drawing up some plans for the table. My thoughts are if I’m able to plan enough ahead of time, then the less likely it’ll be that the table will looked jacked up down the line. Using a drafting ruler I had left over from school I took measurements form a NES controller. Then using the modeling program I had at work I made a model of all the parts I would need to make out of wood. I’ll attach a couple pictures from that showing the designs I’ve made. Right now I’ve got it scaled up so it’ll be a little under two feet tall, but I might play around with that.

I plan on getting the first few parts made sometime soon. Maybe the lid or the accents around the buttons. I still have to add the squares around the A and B buttons, but it shouldn’t take too long. I'm also absolutely open to any advice or suggestions. Hopefully this will turn out pretty cool.  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.