Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Entertainment System

Platform »

The NES, also known as Famicom, launched in 1983 in Japan and 1985 in North America, where the video game industry was headed downhill due to a deluge of poor games and over-saturation. Nintendo's second home console became an enormous success, establishing consoles as a mainstream market in Japan and pulling the North American industry back to its feet.

Nintendo's New Console Will Drive Your Kids Into Therapy ('90s NES video)

Skinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Skinky

Amusing video of a news feature from the early 90's - not a current story about the wait for Nintendo NX driving Nintendo fans nuts...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MTzyz2TgGls

Avatar image for deactivated-5d056614f191a
    deactivated-5d056614f191a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

Amusing indeed~

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
    deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

Loading Video...

(Video embedded for the lazy as it's definitely worth watching)

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
    citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

HAHA oh man, that's a lot to unpack for a 2 minute video.

"I'm going to say no and explain to him how people market things to make you spend more money"

Did she truly believe the release of the SNES was just a marketing tactic and not a genuine new piece of hardware or did she just not want to spend $200 dollars? lol

Skinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I love her delivery of that line...It was a different world back then, we saw very few common products where the audience expected new iterations periodically.

This whole argument will be rehashed once NX releases, only this time it will be like, "you mean it's chained to your arm?!", if it does indeed end up being flexible and wearable on your wrists, as rumours suggest. Parent groups will also complain if that means it can be concealed under your shirt, adding to concerns about gaming addiction among younger users. And if the camera does end up being separate from the main body, that will throw up even more criticisms concerning concealment and privacy.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

God, I love 90s news pieces on video games. They were painful back then, but they've crossed into high comedy with time.

Not that much has changed, of course... local news anchors still seem to think that banter along the lines of "Yeah, I played Mario as a kid" is the funniest thing imaginable. I'm just glad that most of them have given up on "Are The Pac-Mans Teaching Your Kids To Kill?" stories.

Funny that the Wii U rekindled that NES/SNES confusion for a bit, too. From our gamer bubble, it's easy to forget how baffling some of this stuff can admittedly be for non-enthusiasts. Even simply looking at a modern controller for the first time must be daunting, let alone working out why and how you would choose from a line of confusingly named consoles. "But I *have* an Xbox 1! Why do I need an Xbox One? And what does a Wii U do for my Wii?"

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.