People are paying HOW MUCH!?

#1 Posted by Wolfgame (1168 posts) -

I am shocked that there is apparently such a rush on this NES Mini console, are kids really wanting these for christmas? I just can't understand how the cost for one of these is closing in and maybe even passing the price of a ps4/xbox one by the time the holidays are over. I must have really misjudged the appeal and how widespread it would be. These plug n play systems just scream novelty to me but it looks like the usual nintendo rush is in full effect. Wii's, Amiibos, now an emulator that looks like an NES. Try to have some patience if you are out for one, I can't imagine that most people would feel they got their moneys worth paying this far above retail. Kids will probably be bored of it and back to new games in a day too.

No Caption Provided

#2 Posted by dwigtk (363 posts) -

I was trying to get two today to give away during an Extra Life stream. The local Walmart has 25, all sold in 17 minutes.

#3 Posted by DookieRope (303 posts) -

I don't think it's kids. I think it's aging millennials looking for another nostalgia hit.

#4 Posted by OurSin_360 (6156 posts) -

Seen a few people on fb complaining about them being sold out, folks in their 30s.

#5 Posted by MrGreenMan (193 posts) -

I saw one for nearly $5,000 on ebay. How ebay and Nintendo allows this is beyond me.

Avatar image for opusofthemagnum
#6 Posted by OpusOfTheMagnum (647 posts) -

@mrgreenman: They cannot and should not be able to do anything about it. That is the free market baby. If Nintendo isn't going to take advantage of supply and demand, someone else will.

The only way Nintendo could do anything is by manufacturing enough to meet demand or to increase the price to reduce demand/margins for these people, or demand that retailers enforce resell policies to prevent someone from buying 1000 of these at MSRP to sell for five times that.

Once you buy a physical good, it is yours to sell. Someone can refuse to sell to you but unless that person is very obvious, even retailers with policies pertaining to that can't do much.

And ultimately it benefits Nintendo. They will do better selling a ton to resellers than trying to raise prices to reduce demand, and increasing demand can drive sales down the road.

#7 Posted by Hunkulese (4225 posts) -

I still don't get why Nintendo hates free money. It's 2016, why couldn't I click a button anywhere on the Internet the day the announced it to say take my money and mail me one of these things when they're ready.

#8 Posted by WynnDuffy (1289 posts) -

If there is one thing that the Internet has taught me, it's that there are stupid people on our planet.

#9 Posted by CanadianMath (203 posts) -

Or, if you've already paid for any of this content in the past, just legally emulate it now, no? That's a thing you are allowed to do, right?

#10 Posted by Fredchuckdave (10824 posts) -

This isn't for children, but in general scarcity drives prices insanely high even for free things like Hearthstone beta keys.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a923fc7099e3
#11 Posted by deactivated-5a923fc7099e3 (534 posts) -

It's crazy but I can't blame people for jacking up prices when availability is low. If I had bought one and could sell it for major profit I probably would.

#12 Posted by ripelivejam (13161 posts) -

prices as long as the controller cords are short hyuk hyuk

#13 Edited by reasonableman (206 posts) -

There are better ways to play all of these games on virtually every computer-type device produced since 1995 or so. Are people buying these hoping they'll be a good investment? To hollow them out and put itty bitty PC's in them? Or just to try desperately to plug some terrible emptiness in the deepest recesses of their miserable existences?

#14 Posted by BabyChooChoo (7092 posts) -

This wouldn't bother me if Nintendo didn't already have a long history of under-producing what would obviously be highly-coveted items. It's the 3rd time this year. Amiibo (which they eventually got under-control), Fire Emblem Fates Special Edition, and now this.

I don't even want one, but the fact that this keeps happening is mind-boggling. Better get your Switch preorders ready because if this is anything to go by, every state will get 4 if they're lucky.

#15 Posted by paulmako (1958 posts) -
#16 Edited by Justin258 (15643 posts) -

@reasonableman said:

There are better ways to play all of these games on virtually every computer-type device produced since 1995 or so. Are people buying these hoping they'll be a good investment? To hollow them out and put itty bitty PC's in them? Or just to try desperately to plug some terrible emptiness in the deepest recesses of their miserable existences?

...a friend of mine at work wanted to buy one for his six or seven year old son for Christmas. I don't think the friend in question has enough money to go buy a Wii U and a bunch of overpriced old games and you can't really unwrap emulators. Looks like that's not going to happen, though!

I wanted to buy one, too, partly because I think it's a neat little toy, and partly because I really like the idea of companies finding some way to preserve their old games (that's actually old, not "it was on 360" old).

#17 Posted by an_ancient (306 posts) -

@justin258: i dunno I feel that money could then maybe be given to all those emulator writers. i am dying to know if Nintendo used any of that or wrote it themselves. but even tho the price seems to be right for some people, if they sell yet another variant on the Nintendo Switch store, i dunno how i feel about that.

i just wouldn't ascribe archival purposes to this product.

#18 Posted by viking_funeral (2881 posts) -

@canadianmath: Emulators are legal. The games have to be digital copies of your physical games. No idea how they would prove that, however...

#19 Posted by stinger061 (473 posts) -

@justin258: I've heard this idea about people buying it for their kids a few times. I'd be genuinely interested in what the reaction of modern kids to this sort of thing would be. Sure it's a cheap (at retail price) way of giving kids video games without having to invest in a console but do these old games actually hold up for an audience coming to them for the first time with a whole different context?

I guess I'm a bit off topic here but I can't help but feel there might be some disappointed parents when their kid doesn't have the same interest in these games as they did when they first came out.

#20 Edited by imsh_pl (4208 posts) -

I think it's almost entirely nostlagia loaded. I mean, you get one of these '1000-in-1' game console BUT it's not absolute shit and you can actually get good NES games on it?

#21 Edited by LeStephan (1215 posts) -

Didnt nintendo say they'd only ship em out in limited quantities and be done with it afterwards? As in that they'd only make 1 batch of em at the factory. At least thats what I'd read somewhere. Cant remember where sadly.

I went to look online for one the day I read the article mentioning that, which was still months in advance, and they were already sold out everywhere here in the netherlands. I assumed that was the reason.

I always thought it was strange that journalists keep mentioning this as something a parent would randomly pick up for their kids for christmas because pre-orders have been sold out for months here. Guess that 1 time print stuff maybe isn't true though and they'll be readily available after the hollidays...

#22 Posted by sparky_buzzsaw (8861 posts) -

@canadianmath: Common consumers aren'5 going to be emulation savvy. They're just gonna want to play Mario. And the packaging is cute. It's advertising gold.

#23 Posted by yakov456 (2021 posts) -

Don't see why Nintendo would go crazy with production numbers. I mean you can step into an Urban Outfitters and see this kind of product everywhere with no one going crazy about it. Yes this is a better product but the regular public doesn't know that. Nintendo accidentally found the next Furby.

#24 Posted by CanadianMath (203 posts) -

I still don't see the point. Why pay for a console you probably already bought at least once, and a bunch of games you almost certainly bought more than once? Emulating is so simple nowadays -- and free. Eh. To each their own.

#25 Posted by Orange (233 posts) -

I grew up during the tail end of the NES era, so I never really got to play these games. I would love to pick one of these up, but yeah, not going to pay more than $60 especially knowing I'll probably end up having to buy controller extension cables.

#26 Posted by FinalDasa (3186 posts) -

Nostalgia is powerful, and I bet some people think the scarcity now may mean it's even rarer, and more valuable, later.

They'll be shocked when these things are covering shelves in January.

#27 Posted by AlisterCat (8080 posts) -

YOU WON'T BELIEVE how much these nerds are paying for an NES, CLICK HERE!

#28 Edited by Tyrrael (484 posts) -

@hunkulese said:

I still don't get why Nintendo hates free money. It's 2016, why couldn't I click a button anywhere on the Internet the day the announced it to say take my money and mail me one of these things when they're ready.

This seems to be true with a lot of companies these days, and not just gaming companies. However, when it comes to stuff like this, Nintendo definitely comes to mind first. Just look at the Amiibo debacle. They claim they didn't want to devalue the Amiibos by flooding the market with them, but from their own standpoint, this makes no sense. Even if in ten years somebody sold a super rare Amiibo for $15,000, that doesn't mean anything to Nintendo's bottom line. It's not like they get a portion of every private sale of these things. They could have made at least 10 times more money had they made enough to reach demand. More people would have been happy, and more people would have been able to use them for the limited functionality they provided. It would have been win win for Nintendo. Increased money in their wallets and increased consumer confidence.

Supply and demand go hand in hand. Unlimited supply is worthless without any demand, just like unlimited demand is worthless without any supply. How the hell does Nintendo not get this? Having a ton of demand doesn't mean money in their pockets if they don't provide the product that everybody clearly wants.

#29 Posted by Tyrrael (484 posts) -

Nostalgia is powerful, and I bet some people think the scarcity now may mean it's even rarer, and more valuable, later.

They'll be shocked when these things are covering shelves in January.

The problem is that this could very easily go either way. Just look at how poorly Nintendo handled the Amiibos. Only the ones that everybody already had or didn't want are still plentiful. The rarer ones never covered shelves and still haven't. I still hope too many people don't waste a ton of money on this though, especially if they just so happen to become more plentiful right after the holidays. However, I will agree that nostalgia is a powerful thing and hits some people a lot harder than others.

#30 Posted by FinalDasa (3186 posts) -

@tyrrael: Those rare ones tend to be popular characters from the original set, and very specific special editions.

Just like amiibo I think Nintendo didn't expect this level of demand. Just like amiibo I bet in a few months we'll be seeing a bunch on shelves with nowhere to go.

I mean just look at Animal Crossing amiibo, those things are everywhere and dirt cheap.

#31 Edited by Quarters (2658 posts) -

I mean, they'll make more...and it's over a month before Christmas, so this whole thing baffles me. Also, I feel like people are paying ridiculous amounts of money for something you can achieve with a laptop, a 360 controller, and an HDMI cable.

#32 Edited by JayPB08 (418 posts) -

so much for the "if I see it, I may pick it up" plan I had for myself. This is just insane...

#33 Posted by WynnDuffy (1289 posts) -

I think most people, myself included, would be much better off just waiting for the Switch. That is surely going to have Virtual Console which makes this device redundant doesn't it?

#34 Edited by Mike (17993 posts) -

@wynnduffy said:

I think most people, myself included, would be much better off just waiting for the Switch. That is surely going to have Virtual Console which makes this device redundant doesn't it?

I don't think the Switch and NES Classic are comparable at all. You're saying a device that retails for $60 is made redundant by a console that will probably be $300+. And even if all of these games were available individually on the Switch right away, there is no way they would cost $2 each or less.

#36 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4497 posts) -
No Caption Provided

Yea, that's bad. I bet you like fuck, you won't get that RocksteadyUSA paper.

#37 Posted by BaconHound (289 posts) -

They lost my $60. My wife wanted one, couldn't get one, so I'm finally pulling the trigger on a Raspberry Pi and setting up a nice little emulation machine.

#38 Edited by CDUB901 (342 posts) -

Nintendo didn't make a lot of these out of the gate because why would you? You have to test the waters first before you mass produce to find out the demand. Preorders for actual core gamers are one thing, but casual market shoppers? Nintendo couldn't have been 100% sure if they wanted this thing too. Now they know that they stumbled into the hottest item of the holidays and you can be sure that they've gone into overdrive trying to get more of these out the door quickly. They don't hate money (one of the dumbest terms ever btw, no company "hates" money) they just wanted to be smart about this. Nostalgia is great, but it's not always a guaranteed seller.

Also, I get that emulation is a thing. We all know. This isn't for people who are into emulation. Hell, if you go up to a random person at a best buy or walmart looking at one of these (when they're readily available) and tell them "hey, you know you can just play all these games on a computer with emulators, right?" they'll probably look at you like your're a crazy person telling them to do something illegal. Yes, everyone on this board knows what emulation is, but a vast majority of consumers do not and also do not care.

Bottom line is. Nintendo WILL make more of these. NOA themselves have came out and said as much. If people are impatient and want to go blow $300 on one, then that's what they're going to do. I'm just going to wait it out and wait until after Christmas to get one.

Avatar image for deactivated-58a3c9b2cc154
#39 Posted by deactivated-58a3c9b2cc154 (149 posts) -

The amount of lecturing in this thread is nauseating.

#40 Posted by Kingpk (1423 posts) -

Nintendo really are the smartest motherfuckers in the room. This thing was going to do well, but now that everybody thinks these things will be rarer than platinum everybody and their mother will be looking for it and they will sell even more.

They did this with the Wii and the first runs of Amiibo so nobody should be surprised they "didn't anticipate such a demand" for something like this.

#41 Posted by AthleticShark (1388 posts) -

Once again Nintendo makes a choice to be assholes and create a false supply. Just like with Amiibos.

Alas, blame people for being stupid enough to buy it at these prices. I mean good lord, you could easily play all these games for free. Hell, it might be cheaper to just buy a NES and these games on ebay!

Whatever, more will be made and put out.

#42 Posted by AthleticShark (1388 posts) -

@finaldasa False

Nintendo is not dumb. They did the same thing with the Wii. They make less then they should.

The Amiibo thing is the same way. The reason you see so many animal crossing ones is because no one cares about those. They want Mario, Link, etc.

#43 Edited by Yesiamaduck (2545 posts) -

Don't worry guys

These will all end up in drawers real soon

#44 Posted by FinalDasa (3186 posts) -

@athleticshark: Couldn't you say the same thing about any major electronic that sells well upon initial release?

Oculus, Vive, PS3, PS4, Xbone, and the Wii U were all somewhat difficult to impossible to find and buy within the first week or two of their release. Eventually production outpaced demand, stores were able to keep units on shelves, and everything balanced out.

You're assuming a lot of things. You're assuming Nintendo knows exactly how much demand there is for their products. You're assuming they have the time and money beforehand to meet that demand. You're assuming every retailer wants the product or has the shelf space for the product.

Nintendo clearly does make fewer than they could, but Nintendo is always very, very careful with their supply. They'd rather be conservative, produce just enough, and never have too much of a good thing on shelves.

#45 Edited by MeierTheRed (5913 posts) -

@dookierope said:

I don't think it's kids. I think it's aging millennials looking for another nostalgia hit.

Dont think so, the pictures i have seen on the net that show people lining up all feature greasy pimpled teenagers.

#46 Edited by Dregdon (26 posts) -

Everyone I hear about something like this I think of Pawn Stars where Rick always says "That's what people are asking but is anyone buying them?" People can ask 1000$ all day long on ebay doesn't mean people are actually buying them at those prices.

#47 Posted by PDXSonic (563 posts) -

@kingpk said:

Nintendo really are the smartest motherfuckers in the room. This thing was going to do well, but now that everybody thinks these things will be rarer than platinum everybody and their mother will be looking for it and they will sell even more.

They did this with the Wii and the first runs of Amiibo so nobody should be surprised they "didn't anticipate such a demand" for something like this.

I certainly hope nobody out there thinks that these will be rare. NoA already said they are making plenty more.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.