• 103 results
    paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By paulmako

No words. Just... watch this announcement video. They have some very talented people working there.

Edit: OK my actual words are 'This is the first video game reveal thing in a long time to make me say "yo what the fuck" out loud repeatedly.'

echasketchers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Just watched it. I have to say that although it looks kinda neat, the thought of letting actual children do this with expensive hardware is terrifying. Switches are going to be broken.

MundaneSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

What the fuck is HAPPENING over at Nintendo?

"So it's like...video games...but you have to build shit to play them."

"Uh...YOU'RE FIRED."

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

What an amazing thing for parents and their children. Its not for me but this can be a real unit shifter if it catches on. Hell i even see schools using this thing as the software shows you how each contraption works. This is wonderfully crazy. Expensive for a gane cart and cardboard but a fantastic idea which will create many happy memories I'm sure.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By notnert427

That looks like something people might want, so they'll probably make 12 of them and then discontinue it.

MundaneSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's kinda smart, hopefully the cardboard stuff will be cheap

SpacePenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By SpacePenguin

I'm really looking forward to seeing Jeff wear that cardboard backpack and arm things as he punches like a mad man.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By 49th

I just want to say, toy-con is an incredibly good name.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want a live stream of dan trying to build the robot set.

McHampton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Better be some sturdy-ass cardboard

TanookiSuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thing looks crazy and cool and A GOD DAMNED PIANO?! A ROBOT?!!?!?!? Nintendo have gone insane and I love it.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not to be a buzzkill, but this whole thing seems like more trouble than it's worth, and I fully expect there to be three games that support this thing, tops. It really strikes me as the R.O.B. of the 21st Century: cool in concept, but in the end, what do you do with it?

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Dixavd

I Love It When Nintendo Gets Weird.

I really hope this is successful because I can see an expansion of the concept being a wonderful introduction to engineering, robotics and coding.

I wonder if this changes Vinny's plan to keep his kids from finding out that the Switch can be played undocked...

Edit:

Not to be a buzzkill, but this whole thing seems like more trouble than it's worth, and I fully expect there to be three games that support this thing, tops. It really strikes me as the R.O.B. of the 21st Century: cool in concept, but in the end, what do you do with it?

Having multiple games came out to support the concept isn't a requirement (or even an expectation). Effectively, it's not competing in the gaming marketplace, but instead competing with remote-control cars, smartphone-connected toys, and robotics science kits. I doubt this will bring in many new sales of the Switch (that's a huge investment), but as an additional activity to do with your kids in households that already own one, it could be highly sought after in a very competitive market. I'm not saying it will be a massive success (or even a good product), but I think it's aiming for something very different to what R.O.B. did. R.O.B was limited physically, whereas the cardboard design allows them to keep the cost of multiple functions/activities low (leaving larger budgets for game parts).

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On the one hand, as someone who growing up loved to re-purpose cardboard boxes into stuff (mostly ships for Star Wars action figures), this is rad as hell. On the other hand, this seems waaaay to expensive and you just know all the cardboard gets destroyed within a week, either through use or trying to store it. Certainly the most Nintendo thing in quite a while.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Boy I did NOT see this one coming. I guess I had almost forgotten that at it's core Nintendo is still a toy company, not just a game company. Honestly I don't know if its a good idea or not but at least their will be less waste since cardboard is easy to recycle and store compared to plastic tennis rackets and stuff. I'm not sure if I'm going to buy this..I might though. It seems silly enough to get a few hours of entertainment even for me as an adult. How ever I refuse to pay a premium price for freaking cardboard. I hope they get the pricing right for this.

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This looks so rad, I wanna build a robot suit out of cardboard! That's just gonna be my halloween costume!

GhostPantsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why doe? I thought we finally got pass motion controls. All well, not for me. I hope it exceeds in whatever it is trying to accomplish and does not turn into the THQ uDraw Tablet.

mekon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mekon

I like the idea of this. Still, if it doesn't take off at least some of the materials can be easily recycled unlike ET cartridges and uDraw devices :)

MundaneSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guys...guys...listen. Kids are going to bust the shit out of this shit. None of this cardboard will survive more than a week. I'm already eating a piece of it right now and I'm in my thirties. Nintendo is going to regret this so hard when the customer support calls start rolling in.

"My son has a cardboard boxful of joy-con lodged in his colon! Please assist!"

iam16bit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks interesting, reminds me of this Wii shotgun attachment I made out of lego years ago. Though I expect people are going to draw cocks on these things.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By whitegreyblack

Just what the Switch needs... unlimited accessories.

Well, I guess now I can sit back and await the reports of broken switches and severe paper cuts, and then the wave of anger when Nintendo stops officially supporting the program in about a year?

That said, it's very creative and the world needs some of that right now.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By doctordonkey

I can say this is literally trash and be correct in my usage of "literally".

This is literally trash.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By TheHT

This is very cool and upsetting.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By Seikenfreak

What in the heck..

As an adult who is good with their hands, mechanically inclined, self-taught and relatively experienced in automotive repair, electronics, basic fabrication, models etc etc..

..some of this looks complicated. Even for your average adult, let alone a child.

Part neat, part gimmicky nonsense. The cardboard remote control pet thing.. Clearly it just sort of "moves" via the vibration in each joycon.. Which will only work on smooth, hard surfaces. As a kid, I didn't want to play on a hard floor lol They'll be disappointed. Kinda like when the commercials showed that remote control dirt bike that was flying around on two wheels and doing jumps. I remember dying to get it for Christmas, I did, I took it out to the street on that cold December day and the thing just went in a circle on it's side mostly and after about 10 mins of that I was like.. Wow life sucks. No idea what happened to that junk. Just a small example.

This looks like a literal money printing machine. Easily broken, consumable, disposable, and cheap to produce toys intended for kids.

Edit: Also, you ever get yourself a cardboard paper cut? Good lord. Children will be laying in pools of blood.

sasnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like a pointless gimmick.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By Milkman

I have no idea what the fuck I'm looking at here.

nasher27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it looks absolutely fun and creative. I will definitely be getting this for my kids.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

https://labo.nintendo.com/

According to the website, everything shown is in a package called the "Variety Toy-con", while the Robot is standalone. This looks dope, but I have to wonder how sturdy that corrugated board is.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That is going to be some expensive cardboard.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rejizzle: apparently Nintendo are going to give free replacement kits if it breaks

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

majormitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 31

I feel the need to state the obvious here. Nintendo is now selling us cardboard.

We live in a weird world, ya'll.

Ozzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I can't tell if this is a genius idea or a terrible one. I'm leaning towards a really good one, hopefully I'm right because I'm really interested to see what people do these boxes. Modifying them could be awesome.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This isn't going to be like the Move controller. This is Nintendo being Nintendo and making something that will almost 100% be supported only by them and the weird games they put out. Ubisoft aren't going to put fishing mini-games into Assassins Creed to sell cardboard.

Think of it less like a peripheral for devs to use and more like a weird toy package like that Sony card game that used the Eyetoy - Eye of Judgement or something.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HOW DOES IT MAKE THE PIANO WORK?

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

You know, Nintendo has been kinda hitting it out of the park with the Switch, putting out video games people want to play on hardware they want to buy. It really only makes sense that they'd announce a weird, gimmicky thing like as a reminder that yes, this is also still the same company responsible for stellar products like the E-Reader.

Keirgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Keirgo

...What?

Are they just going to sell cardboard now? I definitely need more information. :)

WasabiCurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The idea seems nice, but yea, I don't think I am going to pick this up any time soon.

Busto1299

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Am I the only one who thinks this is fucking dumb? And not in a good way?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
    deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems like a novel cool thing. I bet it will sell really well. Not something I would be interested in, but then again I'm also not a kid. Not to say that adults can't enjoy this of course but that is obviously the target demographic.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43  Edited By viking_funeral

This is going to have a cult following, and maybe 10x as many people complaining that anyone is enjoying it.

JaceTwice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HOW DOES IT MAKE THE PIANO WORK?

The guardian has more details on all of it: https://www.theguardian.com/games/2018/jan/17/nintendo-labo-cardboard-switch-models-interactive-toys

specifically on the piano:

Each contraption is made out of cardboard and string, and transforms into a digitally augmented toy when you slot Joy-Con controllers and the Switch screen into it. The piano, especially, is quite amazing, and takes about two hours to build. The infrared camera on the Joy-Con controller can see reflective strips of tape on the back of the keys, which come into view when a key is pressed, telling the game software to play the right note. Cardboard dials and switches modify the tone and add effects to the sound.

Seems pretty cool, a little pricey but given that it comes with the kit and the game (of which I assume will be the only game that comes out for this stuff) it sounds alright if you're interested. The engineer in me just likes how all this stuff is put together and moves around.

matiaz_tapia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll give them this: nobody saw this coming.

Johnnboy2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can just see the Conversation I am about too have with my wife

Me: I need too spend $80

Wife: on what?

Me: on cardboard so I can make a robot suit too play a switch game.

Wife:...................(sound of bedroom door closing )

Me : soo is that a yes?

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's amazing that Nintendo can come up with these kinds of things but still have no neat inclusion of Amiibos. They could easily turn this into some kind of Amiibo sandbox kit, but I haven't seen anything like that in the preview. How cool would it be if you could pilot a robo-Waluigi and smash things?

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I really want the dumb piano thing. If it is like a modern Mario Paint music mode that's just so cool. Also people saying it's $70-80 for a piece of cardboard...remember a game comes with it too.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see how people are not more excited, if not more curious, for this than immediately thinking of it as a trash idea.

Who doesn't love building simple mechanical machines, let alone integrating your Switch for full functionality and experimentation? Besides being a fun project for kids, I can see two things coming out of this: fun video content, and watching what comes out of the modded community.

Fully on board.

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

At least something other than 1-2-Switch is finally using that infared camera on the bottom of the right joycon.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.