Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

What do you hope this is?

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NTM

I hope it's a new console honestly... I know the Wii U pretty much just came out in terms of the new console generation, but I wish Nintendo would just give us hardware that's on the level of PS4 and the One. I think that would be a good way to get more third party developers back in it with Nintendo, and it'd give Nintendo a chance to create games even better than they already do. If it is a new console, while I'd probably still buy it regardless if it is as I would hope, I would also hope that the system was capable of handling Wii U games, and we could send in, or return our Wii U's, then get a discount on the NX. That may sound like it's asking for too much, but just saying, if it is a new console, I don't see the need for a Wii U really.

I am kind of doubting it will be a new console though, and that would be disappointing to me. I hope it's not a handheld either. Anyways, what do you hope it is? And I guess, what do you think it is? Two generations ago, it was on equal footing for me personally, where I'd play the GameCube, PS2, and the original Xbox about the same amount, but with the Wii, and now the Wii U, those I play (or played) rarely compared to the other companies consoles, and it's unfortunate. I don't have a great gaming PC, but I play the PC more than the Wii U as well. Also, I'm going by the news I've read so far, so if what I am saying has already been talked about by Nintendo, and we know the answer as to what it is not, then sorry, but you guys can still say what you would hope for, because I know no one other than Nintendo knows what the NX is.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By jay_ray

If I were Nintendo I would make the NX a portable home console. So the system has a base that charges it that also hooks up to a TV for living room play but you can pick it up and use it as a portable system.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#3  Edited By mike

I hope it brings something new to the table that initially seems as dumb or useless as the dual screens of the DS or the motion controls of the Wii, and then proves to be just as big of a hit.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@mb said:

I hope it brings something new to the table that initially seems as dumb or useless as the dual screens of the DS or the motion controls of the Wii, and then proves to be just as big of a hit.

Yeah, that would be nice. At least the DS/3DS enjoy some third party support.

Like, man, the lineup on the Gamecube wasn't even that bad. I'd love it if Nintendo could get another console with Gamecube-level random interesting weird titles, but apparently that made fuck all money, so they're probably going to continue to cater to the Nintendo faithful, whatever the NX ends up being.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NTM

@mb: But did it really prove to be a big hit? I mean, the DS did, but the motion controls? Yes, there's the Move, and Kinect, but not many people use those (I'm pretty sure anyways). If it is something like that though, I don't know what it could be. Maybe Nintendo's own VR, ha ha.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

@ntm said:

@mb: But did it really prove to be a big hit? I mean, the DS did, but the motion controls? Yes, there's the Move, and Kinect, but not many people use those (I'm pretty sure anyways). If it is something like that though, I don't know what it could be. Maybe Nintendo's own VR, ha ha.

Uhh yeah - look how many Wiis were sold.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By penguindust

They'll never commit to building a console that directly competes with the Xbox and Playstation, so I think they should double down on what they're best at, the portable. I think it should be a system that fuctions both as a handheld and as a console. Perhaps there is a cradle that connects to your TV and also relays the controler input. The games would work on both the handheld and through the console cradle. Addition storage space could be on the cradle, too. As for the dual screens and 3D, they could probably drop both in favor of one large high-quality touch screen, but backwards compatibility has been a thing for the DS systems, so maybe not. I just don't think game designers are doing anything really neat with the feature anymore.

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By mrpandaman

Let's hope it's not Wii branded like a Wii2 or WiiU2, because that would be one of the dumbest things they could possibly do.

It has to be backwards compatible with the WiiU and still use those controllers. More integration/crossplay with the 3ds would be awesome and since it's apparently Android based integration with other Android devices should be expected. As other people have mentioned, if it could somehow be a portable console that would be cool. I hope it has better functionality meaning it's like the PS4 and Xbox One in that those are more than just gaming machines. In my opinion it needs to be on-par hardware wise as the PS4 and the Xbox One while not being the same price of at least the PS4. I would possibly dive-in at the $350 price point.

rlhyeung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm not exactly looking for PS4 or Xbox One parity, but I think if they can sort of mimic the tablet / iPad market where they have a very capable machine in the way the iPad is (it might not be as capable as the current gen consoles, but it is still capable enough) and have it connect and maybe stream to the TV like via an Apple TV, that would be a great way to unite their handheld and home console. Of course I would also hope for a Nintendo "gimmick", or more appropriately the thing that makes Nintendo consoles unique in the marketplace applied to this type of hardware.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NTM

@mb: I was going to mention that, but I didn't go that far since I thought you were just talking about how developers may have taken the idea after, so I just mentioned the controls. I would say no to that though, because although the Wii sold a lot, I don't think the majority played the system for very long, which is more of a negative sign than the positive of how many consoles were sold. Most gamers would prefer a regular gamepad to the motion controls, so that to me doesn't say it was a big hit. You can argue that there were many 'casuals' that played only the Wii, but to me, that's irrelevant. The Wii was the console of last-gen that gathered the most dust (figuratively, and literally).

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess it is a home console, though what type of home console I don't know.

“We’ve also said publicly that we are already hard at work on our next home console and that’s another element we’ll be talking about much later,” Is what Reggie Fils-Aime said.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Their take on the Ouya.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Teddie

Not another $400 console with a gimmick that will go unutilized by 90% of the games and hardware limitations that cause almost all 3rd party support to be dropped within a year of it launching. And no more 3D. Ever.

That's not to say I don't want another Nintendo gimmick, more like I hope it doesn't just become a map/menu screen that nobody needs. If they stick with the touch screen it better not be plastic, or low-res, or have only one kind of touch input. They should probably just make a tablet you can plug into your TV (would that be limiting them to PS2-era graphics while still having to charge PS4/Xone levels of cash, though?). Man, what if they're sticking with the "behind-the-times" thing and they just put out a 3DS TV (with a built-in amiibo scanner of course).

Whatever they end up with I'm sure it will still have like 10 good exclusives that make me want one.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By s-a-n-JR

I can make a few assumptions based off Super Mario Maker.

Nintendo's in the business of making money, so why would they be OK with releasing a game that renders future standalone "New Super Mario Bros" games obsolete (provided SMM is as good as I think it will be)...UNLESS they're planning on releasing a new one on the NX, because:

- The NX will be able to output far higher fidelity visuals, possibly in 4K; or

- There will be some feature of the new system that may enhance the game-play experience of a 2D Mario game, possibly pushing the social aspect, based off recent comments by Reggie;

...That's all I got.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Marz

a handheld that will play wii u games.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

A box that pumps out more interesting exclusives than the WiiU has thus far. Don't get me wrong, Bayonetta 2 and Mario 3D World are fantastic, but it would be nice if it was a viable thing to play games on year-round.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, I hope it lets me do 5.1 Dolby Digital (optical passthrough), because the Wii U doesn't let me do surround with my set up. They only do it six channel PCM. Well, that is if it's another console like the Wii U.

TehBuLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3 screens! Boom! Get wrecked competition.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it's going to be a hybrid console it's gonna cost an arm amd a leg cause it would hopefully keep up with the ps4/bone but also be small enough to be portable (something wii u gamepad size is like upper limit). Either one hopefully/somehow superpowered unit, or base station with powerful hardware and 2nd portable unit to run scaled down portable versions. If that's the way theyre going either way it's gonna be expensive. If they go this route but keep it in the sub 400 range it's gonna be underpowered. But maybe it's something completely different.

As much as people thirst for a regular ass system i may be disappointed. We already have two boxes for that; i kinda want ninty to be something weird and different even if it ends up underutilized.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tehbull said:

3 screens! Boom! Get wrecked competition.

The Nintendo TS.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ripelivejam

@bisonhero: more like Nintendo BS! *readies high-five*

TehBuLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam: *shakes head. Walks by* *SUPER HIGH FIVES NEXT BRO* Nintendoes eventually! Right!? *searches for next high five*

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm just glad they aren't planning on going into VR games (though they say they are trialling and testing the technology behind closed doors, but have no intention of producing a product with it any time soon) - having a big player aiming to push gaming in a different direction is much needed. They were supposedly showing their current version off to third parties behind closed doors at E3 and got generally positive feedback, so it looks good for them to at least have some third party support for launch at least.

LordAmpersand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam: *pointedly leaves hanging*

...Nah, I can't do that. *the highest of fives!*

A new handheld would make the most sense for them right now. If they can somehow include mobile support, all the better for their bottom line. I'd prefer a home console, but I'm not sure what the reasoning would be for a move into the PS4/XB1 space at this point.

Zefpunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A GOD DAMNED MOTHERFUCKING POWERFUL MACHINE.

Sorry for cursing, but it is about time. It needs to be a powerful console with a handheld built in, that serves as a controller. This, to me, is the best thing that they could do. Like a PS4/Vita but all in one purchase.

It will probably be a workout machine or something though.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrpandaman: They quickly responded to the Android rumour saying there was no truth to it. Theoretically, it could be true and they are just refusing to announce that yet (or haven't decided whether they will stick with it) but at the moment there's no reason to suspect it is true.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Something that isn't abject garbage to develop for if you're a third-party.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dixavd said:

@mrpandaman: They quickly responded to the Android rumour saying there was no truth to it. Theoretically, it could be true and they are just refusing to announce that yet (or haven't decided whether they will stick with it) but at the moment there's no reason to suspect it is true.

To be fair, Nintendo also publicly came out and said there was no truth to a bunch of rumoured stuff about the 3DS, and then lo and behold it came out pretty much as rumoured. They got in this big argument with the Asahi Shimbun over whether Iwata had really stated in an interview with them that the next Nintendo handheld would have motion sensing gyros or not, and then who fucking cares because of course the 3DS turned out to have them.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BisonHero

@crembaw said:

Something that isn't abject garbage to develop for if you're a third-party.

I think the dev support for the Wii U isn't completely terrible? Like, it's not like the early days of the PS3 where everything was on fire constantly and none of the dev tools worked/existed. And I'm sure devs don't necessarily care that the Wii U is not as beefy as the other two consoles; tech guys can find ways to make stuff work under the circumstances - just look at how good Bayonetta 2 turned out.

So I don't think the devs particularly mind developing on the Wii U at all. But it's more that the business guys on the publisher side realize that Nintendo consoles only appeal to a very specific audience at this point, and it's debatable whether the cost is worth it for a lot of a games if the audience is just going to buy those games on another console instead, or just not buy them at all.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No region locking would have me interested in purchasing a Nintendo console or handheld.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Nintendo's Steam competitor...

Metalisticpain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They have said they arn't doing this, but im in the camp of a combined home/handheld. Something I can dock for the bigscreen, and take on the road. Stop splitting their resources and have just one awesome platform and let the gamer decide if its a portable game or not.

pkmnfrk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope that the NX is not out until, like, 2018.

Watching the entire Internet explode at the mention of "OMG A NEW NINTENDO CONSOLE IS IMMINENT" is amusing, but ultimately frustrating. Hey, surprise, Nintendo started designing a new console immediately after releasing the Wii U, just like Microsoft and Sony almost certainly are.

No, Zelda isn't getting pushed to the new console. No, Nintendo isn't stopping making games for the Wii U. (At least, I hope these things are true)

Anyway.

They have said they arn't doing this, but im in the camp of a combined home/handheld. Something I can dock for the bigscreen, and take on the road. Stop splitting their resources and have just one awesome platform and let the gamer decide if its a portable game or not.

This, but only as long as there is a way to do it without compromise. I want 1080p on my TV, so that's a minimum. But, I also want good battery life on a portable. If they end up with a smaller portable screen, and have to shrink the content down, or tell developers they need to render differently in portable mode, then I don't know how well it's going to work.

And no, the Wii U tablet is not an acceptable portable device.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A portable is a terrible idea since the phone market pretty much has that wrapped up.

With VR all the rage these days, maybe we'll see a Virtual Boy 2. Hahaha!

I honestly don't know what Nintendo could do to get me back on board anymore. Start porting games to PC? BWHAHAHAAAA!

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

What do I, personally, hope it is? A powerful home console on par with PS4 hardware that doesn't include any fucking gimmicks.

What I personally want and what they're actually going to do are never going to be the same, though, so I'm not holding out hope.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

• Backwards compatibility with the Wii U. With the Wii as well if possible. That means full support for the Gamepad and Wiimotes. And the ability to transfer my Wii U digital purchases to the NX.
    • A Blu-ray player.
    • The ability to have your account on multiple systems and transfer data freely.
    • No region lock.
    • Miiverse.
    • On screen notifications when you are invited to play a game by a friend.
    • No more than $300 at launch.
    • One SKU.
    • Controller similar to the Wii U Pro Controller in terms of button layout and battery life.
    • The return of the DDP.
    • A new rewards program similar to Club Nintendo.

That is about it as far as things I personally want.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

As long as they don't call it Wii Something they should be fine, calling the Wii U the Wii U was the dumbest thing they could have ever done, there are still people today that think the Wii U is a tablet add-on for the Wii.

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't care what it is, I just hope it's called the Nintendo eXceptional.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It could be a replacement for the ageing DS brand. Basically an expansion on the Wii U tablet but in a smaller, lighter configuration.

It could also be the first 'thing' to usher in a new improved set of VR or AR features for Nintendo.

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

What I'd hope the NX will be: Another Gamecube, i.e. on par/slightly more powerful than the market leader, with decent third party support and great exclusives. Maybe a 3ds player like the Gamecube had the GBA player.

What the NX will actually be: An interactive Amiibo display case.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@jay_ray said:

If I were Nintendo I would make the NX a portable home console. So the system has a base that charges it that also hooks up to a TV for living room play but you can pick it up and use it as a portable system.

Then it'll look like Vita games blown up on a big screen. The power and battery capacity isn't there.

I just hope it's not region locked, whatever it is.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just completely cut off from Wii, Wii U, 3DS support. No dual screens or legacy motion control support. I'd want a portable/console hybrid with a PSN/XBL equivalent service which would include access to online play and a rotating selection of virtual console games.

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

As many people have said being able to play the Wii U away from a TV is a wonderful experience, so I think take the idea of the Wii U gamepad and make it an all encompassing console/portable hybrid.

As a one up somehow add Wii U support to it so I can play Bayo 2 on the go and you have all my money.

Lucifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can almost guarantee it will be some kind of platform that bridges the gap between smartphones and consoles.

It just seems like natural evolution at this point, and if anyone can pull it off, it's Nintendo. My gut is a mostly reliable source.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the idea one of the guys (I think it was Vinny) gave in the latest beastcast, like it's some sort of steam like platform to play Nintendo games on the PC, as farfetched as that sounds it would still be viable, I mean Nintendo knows that the third party war is all but lost at this point for them, so what do they do? focus on their first party awesomeness, and why release yet another fucking piece of hardware just for that when they can take advantage of millions and millions of PCs already available worldwide?

Either that or an awesome handheld.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#46  Edited By Nodima

I hope it's a USB stick I can plug into my PS4 and play the 2 or 3 Nintendo games every 2 or 3 years that pique my interest.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i have the strongest suspicion that if they give in and drop out of home console manufacturing it would only lead to much greater irrelevance for them and they'll mostly go the way of Sega. granted they haven't really been hemorrhaging money like Sega did, and if they do go that route i'm pretty confident they'll be smart about it. but with a dedicated console comes my (irrational?) hope that they'll implement a sort of PS+ program for their back catalogue and widely expand their available downloadable games. and this all culminates in me finally getting final fantasy tactics advance and meteos downloaded on my 3DS.

#followthemoney #playsmite4freeonnintendonx

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A toaster! Jk

I hope its a combo handheld and console that you can take with you on the go. Sort of like the wii u game pad, just you don't need the console to even be on (or be anywhere near it) for it to work on its own.

BrettVandelay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope it is a game streaming service called Nintendo Xpress. They just need to get the pricing down (unlike Playstation Now) I'm sure they would find a way to implement Amiibo as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
    deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The return of Sega Channel.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.