Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

All-New Saturday Summaries 2017-09-23: Switch Selections Edition

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

Edited By Mento  Moderator

Hey Bombarinos, how is September treating you all? I think I've discovered why I'm getting so far behind on my video gaming and TV watching, and it's twofold: there's just way more of it than usual, and I've been watching far too many PUBG streams. As I've said before, PUGB kind of has the pace of a soccer match, where they spend a whole lot of time doing basically nothing before it builds up to these incredible moments of tension and joy. I can't get enough, but I think if I want to make a serious stab at getting through half the games on the ol' you-know-what I'd better cut back. Or, at the very least, skim around the various runs until there's only a dozen people left and it's tense as all heckers.

Anyway, when I haven't been watching people pick up 7.62 ammo and grouse about a dearth of scopes, I've been pondering what Nintendo might do with their retro gaming delivery system in the near future, given how the recent frantic demand for the NES Classic and SNES Classic has once again pushed the topic to the forefront. It's fair to say that we'd all prefer a subscription service that gave us unlimited access to the libraries of the NES, SNES, Game Boy, Game Boy Advance and N64, but it doesn't seem characteristic of Nintendo to offer that level of universal admittance, especially since they're gearing up to make Switch's online service subscription-based that will toss in a random NES/SNES game every month for subs to play. Realistically, I think might look to the success of their miniature consoles for a new model. I figure that new model might involve bunching a group of around six to eight games together in mini-compilations and releasing those for a mid-tier price, say around $20 for the digital version, or $30 for the retail game with bonus amiibo. If that's the case, I have a few proposals for what these compendiums might contain:

The Super Mario Medley

No Caption Provided
    • Games: Super Mario All-Stars (SNES), Super Mario World (SNES), Super Mario 64 (N64), Super Mario Land (GB), Super Mario Land 2 (GB). (Amiibo: Kuribo's Shoe Mario.)
    • Pros: A simple and obvious one to start us off. With these eight games, you get the best of Mario from all of Nintendo's early consoles.
    • Cons: Nintendo semi-recently put out a special 25th anniversary edition which just included Super Mario All-Stars, so maybe they're a little reluctant to put all their Mario eggs in one basket. Ew, Mario eggs.

The Super Mario Miscellany

No Caption Provided

The Zelda Zelection

No Caption Provided

Kirby Your Enthusiasm

No Caption Provided

The Nindulgence Knapsack

No Caption Provided

The Squaresoft Seven Stars Selection

No Caption Provided

The Secret Squaresoft Seven Stars Selection

No Caption Provided

The Capcom Collection

No Caption Provided

The Konami Kompilation

No Caption Provided

The Quintet Sextet

No Caption Provided
    • Games: ActRaiser, ActRaiser 2, Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma, Robotrek (all SNES). (Amiibo: Ark, from Terranigma. Or maybe the ActRaiser angel? You know, the wingaling baby?)
    • Pros: Fantastic games that, due to Quintet's weird undead state of present, have yet to be rereleased in any form.
    • Cons: I'm not sure if Nintendo would allow any release that has the word "sextet" in the title...

Anyway, that's enough Nintendo collections. I believe that Nintendo has been given a fresh start with the Switch and its unexpected success and could use that to figure out a better system than trying to sell NES and SNES games for $4 each through the Virtual Console when most of the no-name filler titles will just sit there on the servers taking up virtual space and prominence that up-and-coming Indie games should instead enjoy. Conversely, and I've heard this from a few retro gaming experts, giving players 100+ games in one swoop as part of a subscription service would greatly devalue them. I think these smaller compilations, based on the likes of the Mega Man Legacy Collections with all sorts of bonus extras, are the way to go to ensure developers can provide the right level of reverence to their older games. It's just a matter of pricing them appropriately for anyone to give a damn.

Any ideas for your own groupings? I've just been sticking to 6-8 games per pack, but there's so many options out there. It's definitely a fun exercise, if a little sad that none of these are likely to ever happen.

What did happen, however, are all the blogs I done wrote this week. Here they be:

• The Top Shelf is still rocking Shelftember with another seven entries this week. Those include: the spooktacular J-Horror stealth game Forbidden Siren 2, a title that proved unfortunately literal to North American audiences; Medal of Honor: Rising Sun, a WW2 game for you all since they're suddenly back in vogue; the pioneering assassination game Hitman 2: Silent Assassin, featuring everyone's favorite barcode battler; the cult favorite and Clover treasure God Hand, to which I was surprisingly lenient this time around; Carpenter homage The Thing, a video game sequel to the movie that captures its paranoid spirit; The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, an improved sequel in EA's series of licensed hack-and-slash action RPGs based on the movies; and The Suffering, a jailbreaking, earthquaking, sanity-shaking creature-feature of a third-person shooter. I'd promise that next week won't be quite as spooky, but I'd be lying. I have a lot of scary PS2 games it turns out.
    • The Indie Game of the Week was Detective Grimoire, a 2014 adventure game that balances detective work with a LucasFilm comedy presentation. While decidedly short and not particularly taxing on the ol' gray matter, the game's art direction, voice acting and humor are all great and I hope to see the developer make more sequels. Fortunately, since those developers produced the wonderful and well-received Snipperclips, they should have the resources to go bigger and better if they so choose.

No supplemental section this week. I've mostly spent the time playing the above games and finishing off Stella Deus, about which I probably exhausted all my topics of conversation last week. As well as the final eight PS2 games for Shelftember and a new Indie Game of the Week, I'm planning to use my gaming time next week to knock off a few more promising The Top Shelf candidates like The Mark of Kri, Champions of Norrath andRogue Trooper. I'll also be playing those games throughout October too, in addition to a return to more contemporary games like Danganronpa 2 (I'm not going to be done with that game before the 26th when Danganronpa V3 rolls around, and I've made my peace with that) and the newly purchased Torment: Tides of Numenera (which dropped in price suspiciously quickly). So look out for more on those, and thanks as always for following my misadventures. Until next time, Bomb buds.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.