Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

Anyone got a 8Bitdo SN30 Pro Controller? How is the D-pad?

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

No Caption Provided

http://www.8bitdo.com/sn30pro-sf30pro/

Anyone bought one of these controllers? I'm thinking about getting one but I'm worried the Dpad will be all overly sensitive like the Nintendo pro controllers so you accidentally press down or up when you try to press left or right.

Anyone have one? What do you think about the dpad compared to the Pro Controller?

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Looks uncomfortable for the analog sticks.

There is a reason controller shapes have evolved.

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@retrometal: Not really. All Sony did to make the best controller of all time was bolt two analog sticks onto their initial early '90s design.

But yeah, I wouldn't buy one of these as an alternative to the Pro. Keep your 3D and classic controllers separate, I say.

BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By BasketSnake

The rumble is apparently incredibly strong. I own normal version without joysticks and all the buttons feel perfect, like really high quality.

craigbandicoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

I would say the Dpad is pretty sturdy and responsive, you shouldn’t have any trouble with the accidental presses. But man I love that pro controller.

sandrawilf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Aww so cute! I did not know these existed

hakunin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I have the previous version, the SFC30, basically a carbon copy of the original SNES controller. It's a really good controller. 8bitdo makes quality products IMO.

diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

I have one and it is great. I have big hands, so the joycon Dock is far too small and cramped for me. This controller feels great in hand. I play a lot of Tetris and the d-pad is very precise.

I like the way I can curl my fingers around the top of the controller. It had terribly loud rumble when it arrived (I preordered) and crashed when I tried to charge while playing, but 2 firmware patches have sorted this out though, as these were software bugs.

The only issues I have are that rumble has been dialled a bit too far back and there is no nfc detection, but I don't mind those. I would not consider a pro controller as I think through SF30 is a huge upgrade on the joycon.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

I just got mine and I'm pretty happy about 1 hour in. Works great with PC, wired it works as a 360 controller and using Bluetooth it works as xbox one so no software stuff needed.

The android functionality is a bonus thing for me, seems to work fine. Maybe now I get some use out of those old retro games I got through humble bundles like metal slug 3.

Seems to work great on Switch, the programmable turbo button is only works as the screenshot button here. The rumble isn't that HD so it might be weird sometimes when the games that do a slight rumble becomes a normal rumble on this, this isn't a huge issue but it's worth pointing out. For example in Super Mario Odyssey when you look through one of those binoculars. On a regular pro it should have a pretty subtle hum to show the movement of the camera but here using this thing it just rumbles constantly when using it. Same thing with the rumble when Mario does a quick stop from running. I guess you can lower the rumble in Mario to compensate for this.

One odd thing is that you can't seem to turn the switch on using the controller unless I'm missing something, that's kind of annoying, also if you go to the "change order" system menu thing it just turns of the controller and you have to turn it on again to change the order. Could be patchable but not that problematic.

The d-pad feels great and less stiff than my pro controller. The accidental down-press problem I had with the pro controller and tetris doesn't really happen but accidental up-presses might happen once in a while but you have to really press on the corners. Less problematic in tetris but still feels better than the pro. The sticks are way better than the joycon sticks, almost as good as the pro sticks but a bit stiffer which I like.

Got it for 400SEK (50USD), it's normally 500SEK but it was on sale. A pro controller is about 650-800SEK here and a pair of joy-cons are about the same. With the added PC and android functionality I think it's a pretty good deal.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.