Are Your Joy-Cons Drifting & How Long Have You Had Your Switch?

#1 Edited by liquiddragon (3526 posts) -

Hey, I've had my Switch for very close to a year and I haven't experienced the drifting issue yet.

Just trying to get a sense of how widespread this problem is. It's obviously common enough that Nintendo had to do something about it.

I'm wondering if it's something I should expect in the near future. Thanks.

#2 Posted by tacobelmont (13 posts) -

I bought mine at launch and also bought an additional set of Joycons. The ones bundled with the system have no issues, but my left Joycon I bought separately does have drift issues.

#3 Posted by imhungry (1139 posts) -

I've had mine for just over a year and definitely have drift on my left joycon.

#4 Posted by nateandrews (101 posts) -

I’ve had mine since December 2017 and the drift has gotten way worse in recent months. I can’t navigate menus with the left joycon stick because it’ll keep scrolling, and my movement in Fire Emblem is affected by it too.

#5 Posted by Captain_Insano (3531 posts) -

I only really notice the drift in my left joycon when using it on its own sideways as a controller for Mario Kart, but it is fairly pronounced. I got a Switch pretty much at launch

#6 Posted by wollywoo (300 posts) -

I've had mine since launch and never replaced the Joy-Cons. I've only experienced drift issues once or twice.

#7 Posted by mellotronrules (2623 posts) -

bought one in nov. 2017- no drift i've noticed yet.

#8 Posted by urban_ryoga (114 posts) -

I've had the drift since launch, which was a special level of hell when trying to use gyro controls at times in botw. I eventually bought a pro controller and took my controller with a repair. I eventually bought a second pair of controllers and sent them for repair sight unseen since I didn't want to experience it again.

#9 Edited by inevpatoria (7467 posts) -

Switch owner since June 2017. I swapped to the Splatoon pink and green Joy-Cons shortly after they released (which was January 2018, I think?). No drift, although the left stick on both left Joy-Cons I own feel loose in their sockets.

I don't feel like I play a lot of games that require a ton of aggressive analog stick input, and if I do I'm usually playing docked + Pro Controller. Most of my handheld gaming has been Into the Breach, Pokemon Let's Go, and Diablo 3.

#10 Posted by frytup (1344 posts) -

Bought mine launch day and no drift, but I don't actually use the joycons all that much. Mostly docked and pro controller.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.