Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

Could I basically use this without a TV for most every game?

ALavaPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ALavaPenguin

I am considering buying a switch down the line, but I will be in a situation with limited actual TV access. Could I basically play these games fully on the screen in my hands, or are there a lot of exceptions like games that you kinda have to play on the TV? Any examples of which games if so? I am mostly interested in these games [but prob more if I find them]:

Odyssey, Zelda, Splatoon 2, That mario xcom game, maybe that xenoblade game not sure.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I believe the point of that console was that you can play anything docked or undocked. The only thing you lose when not docking it to a TV is higher resolution

WasabiCurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By WasabiCurry

I've played BoTW and Odyssey exclusively undocked. But it worked out pretty awesome for me. Just played Odyssey while having a Dota 2 tourney in the background is a great feeling.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Justin258

I don't know of any game that cannot potentially be played in handheld mode, though I personally don't think it's ideal for many games.

Oddly enough, that demo for Octopath Traveler looked bad undocked - small text, blurry everything - but looked great on a TV. Similar problems in handheld mode could be a real problem for some games down the line, but other than that demo I can't name anything where it's been a problem.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With the Switch, up until now, you can only play 100% of the Switch games undocked.

There are some games that require the Switch to be undocked so, you can't play them all when docked.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

All of those games (except Xenoblade, obviously hasn't tried that yet) work great in both handheld and docked mode. The only thing that might be tricky is Splatoon's motion controls, but playing it with just the sticks is totally fine.

You can be pretty darn sure that every Switch game is totally going to work in both modes. I can't imagine Nintendo allowing a game to go through where the experience was significantly worse in one compared to the other. Obviously, with a TV you're going to get a bigger screen (and sometimes higher resolution), and some games support touch when handheld (Thimbleweed Park, for instance, has very good touch support), but neither experience is significantly worse than the other.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, you're good. Every single game thus far can be played without a TV.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think there was only one use case so far where you could only play a game in one mode and that was handheld for a rhythm game whose name escapes me; it requires touch.

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 5

Some games are better with the pro controller, but even then you can prop the switch up somewhere and use it off the dock with the pro controller.

Many people have said they are using their switch 90%+ off the tv so you are good.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, you can play every single game as a handheld game if you wish.

leftie68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I play 95% undocked. It is really the major appeal of the system.

disco_drew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not only is it possible to play exclusively as a handheld, it is recommended (at least by me).

The screen is far from perfect, but I prefer playing games on those screen to stretching them out on my television. You notice some of the mediocre textures of some games more on the big screen than you do otherwise, so it can detract from the experience (at least for me).

Froghourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You definitely can, but as someone who does have access to a TV I find some games just easier to play on the big screen than on the small. This isn't a big deal though and I do go back and forth. Party games like 1-2 Switch probably are best on TV, even though I guess you could play them on the small screen with the kickstand out.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

you can play anything undocked, but the graphics and framerate tend to take a hit. The idea of not enjoying BOTW in all its spledor at 60 inches and playing it in my lap sounds awful, but the option is there for sure.

ALavaPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks guys! Yeah just wasn't sure if they were ever doing some second screen Wii U thing on them, but if it is docked you can't really see the screen anyway right, so it isn't really like a Wii U? Cool with me :P

Duecenage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

I've used mine on the TV for about 10 hours since getting it at launch. It's awesome for off TV play!

DarlingDixie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gtb08 said:

you can play anything undocked, but the graphics and framerate tend to take a hit. The idea of not enjoying BOTW in all its spledor at 60 inches and playing it in my lap sounds awful, but the option is there for sure.

Usually the graphical hit is not noticeable due to the small screen and in most cases it seems that framerate is often better undocked, since the amount of pixels pushed for 720P is so much lower than 900 or 1080P.

Goboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's exclusively how I've been using my Switch. I don't have a TV but I use my monitor for PS4 games so if I ever wanted to use the Switch in docked mode I could, however I've not found the experience or performance cost of playing only handheld mode to detract at all.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. I haven't played a game yet where you'd need to have a tv. There are some that youd only be able to play in hand held, but these so far are just mobile ports like Voez. They don't play on the tv because they use the switches touch screen.

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I put 300 hours into BotW almost entirely undocked, often on train rides or in bed. It works really well, and I haven't ever needed to dock it for even the tiniest of reasons. The only thing that makes me the slightest bit hesitant is that very occasionally Mario Odyssey's motion controls require you to shake the controller, and shaking the entire console doesn't seem like an ideal thing to do. (I do it anyway and I don't think it'll ever break it, but I wish I didn't have to.)

Docked is also great, fwiw. The pro controller is among the best controllers ever made.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The Switch works great undocked, though, the battery life could be better. Might want to consider an external battery pack if you plan to play it far from an outlet.

ALavaPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ALavaPenguin

Yeah I mean it would mostly just be next to a power outlet anyway where I would be using it.

Someone said they use their computer monitor for their PS4, could I do that with the Switch? My monitor is a touch old but has an hdmi in.

The point I guess of this whole thing is, I am thinking about getting a switch but I don't want to buy a TV lol. My only TV is too big for where I am going to be at for the next few months and I don't want to waste the money on some tiny little tv [when I could instead buy games :)]

Thanks everyone!

Bedouin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alavapenguin: I used my monitor for my xbox for a while for similar reasons. It should work for your switch just fine even though you probably won't need it since it has its own screen already.

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd be pretty surprised if you couldn't get a docked Switch to output to a monitor that supports HDMI.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

So far I've played both Breath of the Wild and Odyssey in handheld mode without many problems. Super Mario Odyssey is probably the one game that plays better in docked mode, due to motion controls making the game easier, but it is playable in handheld mode.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've had a Switch since day 1 and have maybe plugged it into the dock twice (other than for charging purposes).

ALavaPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks all!! Yeah what brought up this line of questioning is I just wasn't sure if it was very Wii-U like where they put the map on the thing and all that [but can you even see the screen when docked]? Sounds great to me cause I just want to be able to hold it and play :)

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By fnrslvr

@alavapenguin: the screen deactivates while docked, and is mostly obscured by the dock anyway. I doubt it's possible for the Switch to output to both its own screen and the dock.

Cheetoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, you need it plugged into the TV almost all the time.

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Ungodly

I haven’t played anything docked since I bought mine four months ago. I mainly got it for Nintendo games, and as something I can play while my girlfriend watches her shows. It’s been great.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I have never docked my Switch and have never thought "Oh man, if only this was on a TV".

SupesDupes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got the Odyssey bundle recently, and love my new Switch! Surprisingly, to me anyways, I've used the Swtich mainly in portable mode (about a 70/30 split). You definitively CAN play any game in portable mode, but some are definitively better in different modes.

I've probably put about 10 hours into Shovel Knight, and played that game exclusively portable, whereas I've played Odyssey and BOTW in both docked and portable modes, and docked with a pro controller is definitively preferable.

sandrawilf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got the Odyssey bundle recently, and love my new Switch! Surprisingly, to me anyways, I've used the Swtich mainly in portable mode (about a 70/30 split). You definitively CAN play any game in portable mode, but some are definitively better in different modes.

I've probably put about 10 hours into Shovel Knight, and played that game exclusively portable, whereas I've played Odyssey and BOTW in both docked and portable modes, and docked with a pro controller is definitively preferable.

To each their own. I prefer handheld mode laying in my sofa! :)

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got my Switch in early May and didn't hook it to a TV until mid-August. I still regularly play it undocked. Every game I have is totally fine to play in portable mode, including all the big ones (the only thing that can be awkward are some of the optional motion controls in Mario Odyssey, but that's about it).

shota00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I play my switch almost exclusively undocked. BOTW looks great.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ben_h: Those "optional" motion controls are awkward in stationary mode aswell so thats not really a handheld issue.

Rasrimra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Rasrimra

So far everything can be played undocked. There are games that can only be played undocked and that is because they use the touch screen. So nobody can say for sure that there won't be 1 or 2 games you can't play undocked but I don't see any reason why that would happen.

Marv89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My Dock is still in the box, I only play in handheld mode. So far it works perfectly (Mario Odyssey, Zelda, Golf Story...)

Don't see any reason why not every game should be playable undocked. I could imagine the other way around, due to the touchscreen, but haven't seen anything that utilizes that except for scrolling through the Nintendo news...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.