Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

Does your Switch get weak wifi signals?

lupacexi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've had my switch since release but after buying Splatoon 2, this is the first time I've notice how bad my wifi signals have been.

I've seen articles about the issue on the web so I thought I'd ask the GB coummunity..Does your Switch also have bad wifi reception? I have limited wifi interface in my home and all my other devices (phones, laptops, tablets) get a strong signal so what's the deal?

ian280291

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yes and my iPhone X gets a weaker signal than than my iPhone 7 Plus did through the bathroom wall

chrispaul92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My launch day Switch mostly lives in my room along with my PS4 and PC both of which get pretty great signals. The Switch on the other hand.... I usually have to go stand within ten to fifteen feet of the router.

Tylerrools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have had this problem as well. Sometimes it takes a while to connect to the WiFi after being turned on too.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ichthy

Yes, it was real bad with Splatoon 2.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Quid_Pro_Bono

No problems here. I do run it on a 5ghz band though.

MrCK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By MrCK

I have had problems with this, it's far worse than any other device I've tried. It's not been a deal breaker so far, but disconnects and lag are just frequent enough to be pretty annoying.

Edit: It has been especially noticeable in Rocket League, that is unplayable for me at times cause of the lag (and fine on my PS4/PC using wifi).

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@quid_pro_bono said:

No problems here. I do run it on a 5ghz band though.

This here. Also running on a 5ghz band without issue. I have run into some wifi signals on places away from my own home. Though I wouldn't be able to verify their wifi configurations to see if that was actually the problem or the switch.

triviaman09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Yeah and it's terrible because it often pops up a dialogue that's hard to get out of even when I'm in a game where I don't care if it's connected to the internet or not. I usually have to restart the entire system to get it to pick up my router a mere 20 or 25 feet away.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#10 MattyFTM  Moderator

I've never had any problems in-game, but I have noticed that the download speeds drop dramatically when it is undocked compared to docked. I don't know if that's a wifi issue or something else the hardware is doing to slow down downloads when it is undocked, but it is definitely happening.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.