Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

DOOM and Wolfenstein 2 announced for Switch

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Tonight's Nintendo Direct confirmed that both DOOM and Wolfenstein 2 will be finding a home on Switch. Looks like Bethesda's really putting their full support on this.

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder how these will perform, both graphically and commercially

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Third party support for this is looking pretty good so far. Honestly having hand held versions of full current gen games is kind of appealing to me

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By MocBucket62

That's excellent news. I do fear that DOOM and Wolfenstein II will run at 30 pps, but as long as that doesn't completely ruin the gameplay that's A-Ok. It should be noted that Wolfenstein 2 is coming to the Switch sometime in 2018, which makes sense since every other version of that game is coming out on the same release date as Odyssey. Bethesda probably doesn't want to compete with Nintendo DIRECTLY on the Switch.

Oh and this is DOOM's Switch Box art:

No Caption Provided

TheFlamingo352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy shit really? I mean, It's probably not my *preferred* way to play shooters, but just the idea of DOOM on Switch is crazy. Dope boxart btw.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Well this is surprising. Very curious to see the technical performance. They would have to handicap these ports quite severely to maintain 30fps, right? Or does the Switch have power to strike a good balance for these types of games?

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 2

I imagine not having to render it in HD will be a huge benefit for framerate.

@dgtlty said:

Well this is surprising. Very curious to see the technical performance. They would have to handicap these ports quite severely to maintain 30fps, right? Or does the Switch have power to strike a good balance for these types of games?

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dgtlty: Id has a very good dynamic resolution scaling which is why the xbox and ps4 version ran as well as they did, so i think they may actually be ok. Obviously won't be running at 1080 either way, if i got it i would play it on the handheld screen either way personally.

personandstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Someone help me, I think I want an Amiibo. A DOOMGUY AMIIBO!

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Doom 64 called and it wants you to remember to be real cautious about shooters on Nintendo consoles.

Loading Video...

Busto1299

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Busto1299

Holy Shit! Did not expect this… Also that Switch box art for DOOM is incredible

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doom on Switch is great. I wonder how they're going to deal with the size issue, though.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

DOOM is a great game, but yeah, it'll be interesting to see how the performance will be like on the Switch.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FYI, those who own a retail copy of DOOM should already have that glorious cover art (the sleeve insert is reversible).

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By Justin258

I am very curious to know how these two games will run. Wolfenstein 1 is around 50GBs on PC and I'm pretty sure it's about that size on consoles as well. Doom is a big game, too, and again, pretty sure the Xbox One and PS4 versions are that big as well. We can safely assume that Wolfenstein 2 will be just as big, if not bigger. They'll probably use 900p or even 720p textures to cut down on the file size and improve performance on the Switch version of these games. I don't think they'll cap the framerate at 30FPS, but that's entirely possible. I cannot imagine playing something as fast as Doom 2016 at 30FPS, that sounds like a nightmare*.

However, performance isn't my major concern here. id Software are excellent at optimizing their games for a high, smooth framerate. My concern here is something they can't help - the right analog stick on the right Joycon is in a terrible place. I've gotten used to it, I played plenty of Minecraft on the Switch with it, but it is inaccurate and uncomfortable as hell. The Pro Controller is pretty great, if you're OK with dropping more money for a controller that has fewer features than its Xbox One and PS4 counterparts. Then again, if you're playing with a Pro Controller, you're probably playing on a TV and if you're playing on a TV, you're going to want to play these games on a PS4, Xbox One, or PC. The only way I'd recommend these games on a Switch is if that's the only console you have and the only one you plan to have or if you travel a lot. Like, you travel at least once a month a lot, and you're gone for days or maybe weeks in a row.

*(pun not intended but acknowledged and left there for the cringe).

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By bybeach

That's incredible. I know little about the Switch really, but those included controller(s) just don't look right for the job. I suspect the Pro may cut it, if I am right on my assumptions?

I'm probably am going to get the Switch, at it's base price and not what Amazon's wanting. But more for games like Zelda. I already have a pc for Wolfenstein and such.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
    deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

I'm super curious (as I'm sure a lot of people are as well) as to how these games will turn out on Switch.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More details about DOOM: Apparently single-player will be on the cart, with online multiplayer being available as a separate download.

Doesn't matter much to me since I was only going to play the single-player anyway, but good to know.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully it runs smooth and isn't too graphically compromised. But I *might* be down.

3rd party support slowing coming back to Ninty it seems....

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yesssss....playing portable versions of these games would be lovely! Very nice.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@nicksmi56 said:

More details about DOOM: Apparently single-player will be on the cart, with online multiplayer being available as a separate download.

Doesn't matter much to me since I was only going to play the single-player anyway, but good to know.

That seems like a smart way of doing things.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By MocBucket62

Also here's some comparison shots between the PS4 and Switch versions of DOOM:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Certainly the graphics are taking a hit with the Switch version being blurrier and the lighting isn't as good, but the Switch version still looks quite nice.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Playing possibly inferior versions to other versions that came out in the past... Sounds great! No, in all seriousness, it's cool they're coming, but for me, no thanks. This morning I was camping and my brother said, as we walked our dog before we came home, that Wolfenstein and Doom were coming to the Switch, I thought it was The New Order, so it being the sequel is neat (but also not great if you hadn't played the first?) Plus, if playing it on the go is the upside, it isn't to me because the situation of the sticks isn't that comfortable to me. I don't play it handheld. Yeah, no interest but it's neat that they're going to be on the Switch I suppose.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By nicksmi56
    nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By nicksmi56

Update on DOOM: The release date has been confirmed for November 10th!

Lazyimperial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bethesda throwing some love to Nintendo is a beautiful thing. Here's to hoping that they do better than Sega and EA did on the Wii and better than Ubisoft did on the WiiU. Nintendo has not been a friendly place for third party guys and gals for the past decade or so. *shrug*

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.