Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

General early Switch impressions: Post yours here!

• 87 results
    bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By bigsocrates  Online

@marokai: I get what you're saying, but I think making two versions of this thing at the outset would have been super confusing to the marketplace and killed at least some of the excitement around this thing. Plus Nintendo has to Nintendo so there's no way they were shipping a simple box you could plug into your TV with normal controllers. That's just not in their corporate DNA anymore; they tried it with the Gamecube and it didn't do great.

I also don't necessarily think that the...weirdness...of the Switch is responsible for the price gouging. The pro controller is just a controller. Maybe it has the HD rumble stuff built in (I can't really tell) but there's no way it costs much more to make than a PS4 controller, which has a touchpad and lightbar. It just costs more because Nintendo loves to price gouge their customers.

Also the $70 pro controller comes with a power cord that's like 3 feet long, so you can't play while you charge it. For $70 you'd think they could have sprung for a 10 foot cord.

Likewise the fact that an extra dock costs $90 is ludicrous. It's basically a USB hub/HDMI passthrough with some extra plastic, and it should cost closer to $20-$30.

Could Nintendo offer these things cheaper? Absolutely. Easily. But that's not Nintendo's way of doing things. They want you to view their products as being of premium quality rather than commodities and they think price is part of that. So while Microsoft is happy to make Xbox One controllers the generic default PC controller and sell them for $30 via periodic sales, Nintendo would see that as devaluing their brand.

It's a mindset, not a technical challenge.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@bigsocrates: Oh you're totally right that it's a completely unfair criticism in a way. I'm eager to get a Switch later on when it makes more sense for me to do so. I'm just very interested in seeing how the system sells after the initial launch rush is over and we get some hard numbers. I've always felt like Nintendo succeeds in the marketplace these days when they offer something very competitively priced and relatively straightforward - they don't have the cachet anymore to sell devices at the launch price of their competitors. The Wii was super cheap and easy to understand - the Wii U was bloated, expensive, and unnecessarily complicated for the average consumer. The 3DS flagged at first being overpriced and they eventually cut it down and offered more competitive models. I really want the Switch to be a success. When I was watching the GB livestream and seeing Brad and Drew sort of struggle with the joycons, I wonder if that sort of thing will be as frustrating for people just picking one up after seeing the trailer or whatever.

In the end I'm more of the odd-man-out when it comes to how I prefer to play games. The Vita TV was a super weird device that probably shouldn't even exist, even if it was perfect for myself as a person that doesn't like handhelds as a general rule. Sales wise that thing also tanked, anyway, so I guess that defeats the point I was thinking about from the get-go. At least this thing is cheaper than the Wii U.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 bigsocrates  Online

@wynnduffy: The Switch itself isn't super overpriced, though I think that $250 was doable (or at least this thing should have more than 32GB of storage out of the box, seeing how it's 2017.) But really it's everything other than the console that's a bummer when it comes to price. The accessories are ridiculous, many of the games are way overpriced ($50 for Bomberman? $40 for Street Fighter II!? That's right, STREET FIGHTER II!!!) and there's just a sense that owning and playing this thing is going to cost more than it should.

If the Switch itself was $300 but the accessories and games were more reasonably priced I think it would be easier to swallow. As it is it the ecosystem as a whole feels like a bit of a rip-off. But it is what it is; I've been enjoying myself so far and that's what really counts. Hell, compared to the $250 3DS the Switch is a bit of a bargain.

I don't know why people think Nintendo is guaranteed to make a cheaper home only version. This is the same company that never cut the tablet out of the Wii U even as it tanked. I'd say the Switch portability function is more important to it than the tablet was to the Wii U (where it was mostly a gimmick.)

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#55  Edited By TheWildCard

@subwayd said:

The build quality of the screen has me worried and the rough plastic of the dock seems like a design oversight. The damn thing has already scuffed up the back of my system, and that's with me being super gentle with it and all.

For now, it's going to live in the dock until I can find protectors.

I've seen this concern on other forums, that does seem like a oversight. Even with a screen protector scuff marks would drive the OCD side of me crazy.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@marokai said:

@bigsocrates: Oh you're totally right that it's a completely unfair criticism in a way. I'm eager to get a Switch later on when it makes more sense for me to do so. I'm just very interested in seeing how the system sells after the initial launch rush is over and we get some hard numbers. I've always felt like Nintendo succeeds in the marketplace these days when they offer something very competitively priced and relatively straightforward - they don't have the cachet anymore to sell devices at the launch price of their competitors. The Wii was super cheap and easy to understand - the Wii U was bloated, expensive, and unnecessarily complicated for the average consumer. The 3DS flagged at first being overpriced and they eventually cut it down and offered more competitive models. I really want the Switch to be a success. When I was watching the GB livestream and seeing Brad and Drew sort of struggle with the joycons, I wonder if that sort of thing will be as frustrating for people just picking one up after seeing the trailer or whatever.

In the end I'm more of the odd-man-out when it comes to how I prefer to play games. The Vita TV was a super weird device that probably shouldn't even exist, even if it was perfect for myself as a person that doesn't like handhelds as a general rule. Sales wise that thing also tanked, anyway, so I guess that defeats the point I was thinking about from the get-go. At least this thing is cheaper than the Wii U.

Remember the joycons they were using were broken so putting the strap on and off of those things was significantly more difficult.

braves01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By braves01

Hardware impressions after a weekend of Zelda:

-Screen on the unit looks pretty nice in portable mode, didn't blow me away or anything but games will look good

-Detaching and re-attaching joy con and wrist straps is a little too finicky--I'll avoid messing with them whenever possible. Didn't even try the kickstand--looks and feels as cheap as everyone says. The dock kinda sucks too. Really wish it was just open faced and slanted back a bit to hold the system in place. Worrying about lining everything up and avoiding scratches isn't fun.

-Getting used to having the right stick directly under buttons takes a little getting used to; Sideways joy con are bad as a controller--only to be used as a last resort. Otherwise the joy con work well both attached and apart from the unit. They're especially comfy apart from the unit (not using the grip) and I've had no connection issues thus far.

-The Pro Controller is an essential purchase. While I like using the joy con when the system docked, the pro controller is next level. Comfortable, weighty, real dpad, plus it still has all the nfc/gyro functionality. Definitely don't regret dropping $70 for it. I will likely never detach my joy con from the unit again, since I will use the pro controller whenever docked.

-Haven't run up against the battery at all yet...was able to play zelda for 1.5-2 hours without getting any low battery warning or anything.

guthwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@octopusrocketmark: Is the Pro Controller really that good? I read either here or on Destructoid that it's kinda light and feels cheap.

I'd love to have a "real" controller but I don't wanna spend 70 bucks if it's a piece of crap obviously.

Rasrimra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Rasrimra

@isomeri said:
    @rasrimra said:

I just ordered Fast RMX through my browser on PC and it will download it when I turn on the Switch. That is a feature that I missed on the Wii U. The thing is full of happy little surprises like that.

Will the system download games when docked/charging in some sort of standby mode like on the XBO and PS4? Or do you have to have the system turned on for the entire download?

I think it has to be turned on which is a shame, really. It's a small step forward at least. I hope that functionality will be added at some point. Also, after playing Zelda in tabletop mode I have to say that the screen is very small for that game. There is a lot going on and the UI isn't big. You're not going to place it on a table and lean back in your chair and comfortably play it. If you have it in your hands like a 3DS then it's fine. I played it leaning closer to the screen which was OK but it's definitely the worst of the 3 options.

Although, playing with a joycon in each hand worked fine. I have average size hands and it was a little weird at first but I had no issues playing that way. (Didn't use the strap things.) Pro controller is more comfortable than separate joycons, if only because it has a little more volume to hold on to.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 bigsocrates  Online

@guthwulf said:

@octopusrocketmark: Is the Pro Controller really that good? I read either here or on Destructoid that it's kinda light and feels cheap.

I'd love to have a "real" controller but I don't wanna spend 70 bucks if it's a piece of crap obviously.

The pro controller is excellent. I'd say it's not quite as good as the Xbone controller or the Dual Shock 4, but it is in their league. Doesn't feel cheap IMO, and is around same weight as a DS4.

It's overpriced at $70 (like what does it do that the Dual Shock 4 doesn't? better rumble? And it doesn't have DS4 touchpad or speaker.) But ignoring the price issue, it's a very solid controller. Would be a home run at $50 and I don't regret buying it for $70, because Zelda is great and I want to play it with a controller I like.

And I really do like the pro controller.

MaKiNbAcoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#61  Edited By MaKiNbAcoN

So far, I really like it. It feels really good. With the Wii U when I picked up the gamepad I felt "i don't know about this...". The Switch is opposite it just seems like the designers were passionate about it and made it work. I am happy with the OS, personally, I don't need a lot of other media management in my console/portable. I have a smart phone or tablet I use for any other media related stuff. I want this to be for playing games, which it does.

The hybrid approach of pick up an go works as they demoed it. I was so impressed on how well it works. Like Jeff mentioned on the live stream, the way their interface for accounts works so far is also great,especially cross region. I would of liked to see Virtual Console at launch, but I hope the delay of it (and the fully featured online service) ends up in being a unified experience bringing over previously bought games. I stopped buying VC games when the leaks around the Switch designs fell . I hope it launches and they say everything bought on Wii U or 3DS will migrate .

I have experienced the left joy con desync issue, even after the day one patch. Nintendo claims to not put the switch near large bundles of wires because of interference . I am going to move my dock to a less crowded area, but THE POWER CORD IS SUPER SHORT.

Overall, I would recommend buying the console if you are A) planning on getting it anyway. B) were going to buy Zelda for Wii U. I bought it now as well thinking it will be much harder to come across with Super Mario Odyssey comes out.

robbparris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Love it so far, my only major gripe is that the kickstand is really loose and constantly flaps open on it's own.

Huh, that's weird, mine is the exact opposite! I actually find it a bit of a pain to open.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By WynnDuffy

@robbparris said:
    @pompouspizza said:

Love it so far, my only major gripe is that the kickstand is really loose and constantly flaps open on it's own.

Huh, that's weird, mine is the exact opposite! I actually find it a bit of a pain to open.

Me too but that's mostly because I cut my nails too short recently, could barely open a can of coke earlier.

@wynnduffy:

I don't know why people think Nintendo is guaranteed to make a cheaper home only version. This is the same company that never cut the tablet out of the Wii U even as it tanked. I'd say the Switch portability function is more important to it than the tablet was to the Wii U (where it was mostly a gimmick.)

I think there's a legitimate userbase who would want just a home version and they did release the 2DS after all.

For me though the ability to take it anywhere is a huge selling point!

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

So after a weekend with it I have to say I'm surprisingly enamored with the launch line up.

Zelda, The Shovel Knight Prequel, and Race RMX have all been getting significant attention from me. Race RMX for a quick 30min gaming session, shovel knight before bed and Zelda when I'm sat in front of my tele. Still got sniperclips to try when I'm at work with some colleagues I have to say this is the most fun I've ever had with a launch line up.

I also seem to be in the lucky catchment of people that actually really enjoys using the joycons + joycon grip, though it's easy to see why it won't fit a large number of hand shapes/sizes.

Overall, very happy, love how snappy everything is how and how little bullshit there is between me n my game time!

Also battery life seems fairly substantial for games that aren't Zelda, even Race RMX seems to drain 1/3 the rate about half the rate Zelda does from my experience.

davidfox1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got mine yesterday. I haven't played it on the TV yet as I like to play in bed. About 15 hours into Zelda the controls were initially difficult but that's just because there is so many. The joycon feel fine to me and I even found the "detach them one in both hand looking at the tablet" mode to be fun. Haven't tried the grip yet. Zelda is fantastic; it shares tropes from other open world games but it's "Zelda-ness" makes it totally different. Dan wasn't kidding about it not giving you much direction but that's why it gives you that sense of wonder when you come across crazy stuff. Weapon degradation; I love it! It forces me to switch things up mid-battle and I'm forced to try out lots of different weapons which are all fun. Without it, I'd just be playing the numbers which isn't the most fun. Throwing a nearly-broken club at an enemy and then grabbing his better one when he drops it to finish him off is really satisfying!

Glad of my purchase. I'd love Spelunky on this so I could 100% ditch my Vita but I feel the lack of a connected d-pad wouldn't work. The weight, sturdiness, portability, UI and presentation are awesome.

Error52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I've seen the term "soft launch" thrown about - the idea being that Nintendo basically just put this thing out the door semi-quietly with a bare bones feature set so that when it's holiday time they've got a solid, built up library.

And I will say, for as barebones as it really is, it works incredibly well. Moving in/out of the dock is slick, the OS is impressively fast, the pro controller is overpriced but lovely, and even the Joycon stuff is cooler than I thought it'd be. I also think the battery's actually not bad if you don't play games like Zelda.

Nintendo's gonna need to work on accessory pricing, but I think the switch has a lot of potential to be something pretty special.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@guthwulf: I would say the exact opposite. It has a nice weight to it and it doesn't feel cheap in the slightest.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By pompouspizza

@rasrimra: You can download games in standby mode. There is a tutorial In the. news section that mentions it.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#69  Edited By Dan_CiTi

Loving the console, really slick and fun UI with lots of neat sound effects. If this had more games (and the right ones) I'd really adore it. Some of those are announced, some aren't. I'd love for lots of Cave and Treasure shooters to come out on it, as well as games like Persona 3-5 (which could all certainly run on the console, and P3P and P4G shouldn't be stuck on the PSP & Vita tbh.) Hopefully Rime, SteamWorld Dig 2, Stardew Valley, Runner3, and various other smart ports and new little games will definitely push this console forward to where I'd like to see it go.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By ripelivejam

so i put microfiber cloth around both sides of the dock to try to alleviate scratching. also bought and tried to put on a screen protector but like always with those things i fucked it up and had to toss it. $10 wasted i suppose.

for as much as i like the console so far i do concede there are a few annoying issues there that in true nintendo fashion pave the way for a revised model that will really knock it out the park.

worried about overheating the console though. the grills at the bottom are for speakers only, right?

e: did something more elegant and just put a little microfiber cloth over the plastic grooves on the inside, hopefully should be enough to protect it.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This system is so awesome. I really love it.

It's going to be where I buy all indies from now on more or less.

Geopold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Geopold

On the whole, The system is working as promised, but I encountered an issue this morning. I left my switch(powered off) in the dock to charge overnight(about 7 hours) When i took it out in the morning, the console was still warm and the battery was at 99% instead of being fully charged. Isn't the switch supposed to take only 3 hrs to charge? Anyone else having similar issues? kinda worried and paranoid now.

Also, If leaving it overnight, should it be left in sleep mode? or powered down like I did?

Rasrimra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Rasrimra

I noticed that the rumble in the pro controller actually feels a little better than the ones in the joycons when they are attached. When the joycons are attached you can hear the rumble a little when it is used. That's a pet peeve of mine, most people wouldn't mind. And it's definitely not as bad as the DS4/XB1 rumble. But I do want to emphasize that if you have a Switch (or a PC?) the Pro controller is excellent imo.

@pompouspizza: I didn't know that. Their store on PC told me that the game would start downloading when I would turn on the system. I'm guessing it needs to be turned on to start the download but after that it can continue downloading while sleeping?

@geopold said:

On the whole, The system is working as promised, but I encountered an issue this morning. I left my switch(powered off) in the dock to charge overnight(about 7 hours) When i took it out in the morning, the console was still warm and the battery was at 99% instead of being fully charged. Isn't the switch supposed to take only 3 hrs to charge? Anyone else having similar issues? kinda worried and paranoid now.

Also, If leaving it overnight, should it be left in sleep mode? or powered down like I did?

I've always put it in sleep mode. In fact I'm not even sure how to turn it off if I'd want to. (I'm guessing you hold down the power button?) XD It's very power efficient when sleeping (using like 1% battery every 4 hours when undocked) so I wouldn't worry too much about leaving it sleeping. Have had no issues with warmth or battery charge.

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loving the Switch so far. Have been playing Zelda primarily in handheld mode. The few times I've played in TV mode I haven't run up against the left joy-con connection issue, so fingers crossed it stays that way.

I love the ergonomics of the system. The screen is a nice size and holding it for long periods is comfortable.

Games-wise I only have Zelda so far, and it's awesome. I'm looking to pick up Snipperclips and Fast RMX at some point in the next few weeks. Would get them sooner, but am super busy with work and haven't had as much time as I'd like to play Zelda!

guthwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Geopold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Geopold

@rasrimra: Yes, you power down by holding down on the power button on the tablet, but it can only be done in handheld mode. I was actually wondering if we are supposed to leave it docked in sleep mode overnight.. or whether that destroys the battery.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The battery life is definitely a hell of a lot better when not playing Zelda. I hope games in the future will be like this, I know Zelda is a so-so WiiU port with a physics engine apparently not playing nice with the Switch hardware, so that gives me more hope for future Switch developed games.

thornie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I said I wouldn't get it, but after watching a few Zelda livestreams, I had to get one. I had no preorder, so I waited on line at the Nintendo store in Manhattan on launch day. I was on line for about 45 mins, and bought the Switch, Zelda, and a carrying case. This is my first Nintendo product since the Nintendo 64. If Nintendo got MY money, they'll be getting others like me to dish out $450 for this thing. I've been vehemently anti-Nintendo since the 64, so I'm shocked that I actually own a Switch...

I like it a lot. I see the potential, and Zelda is incredible. I can totally see this thing becoming huge with tons of great games... At the same time, I can also see this thing flopping due to lack of games. I firmly believe Nintendo is an awful company stuck in the past, that at times succeeds in spite of its archaic corporate culture. Right now, playing Zelda on my commute and docking it at home is an amazing experience, because Zelda is an incredible game. What happens when the well runs dry? The indie support is a good sign, but I'm still very sceptical Nintendo can deliver 3 or 4 games a year at the quality of Zelda. Without that level of quality this thing is just a paperweight. It can't even replace my tablet at the moment because Netflix/Youtube/HBO are all absent from the shop.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61
    deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

My impression is that Walmart fucking sucks and FedEx ain't much better.

Gimme my damn Switch.

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
    RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I stopped by Target on my way to work this morning, and they had received a second shipment, so I picked one up. I have not had time to do anything other than open it up and fire up the initial setup in handheld, offline mode. As for those early impressions: The packaging is nice. I like that the first thing you see is the system and joycons, and other stuff is underneath. Easy to literally pick up and play out of the box. The console feels more substantial than I anticipated, as are the joycons. Everything is weightier and more solid than it looks. Density rating: 10/10. UI seems snappy and easy to navigate. I didn't have time to check out the dock or anything else in the box. Based on other reports here, I may wait to even dock it until I'm able to glue some soft material on both sides of the dock to prevent scratching.

I have not tasted anything yet, but plan to give the Zelda cart a try later this evening. I'm anticipating it being every bit as terrible as advertised.

Rabbipie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Rabbipie

I am loving the switch it is bringing back the excitement of gaming back to my life. Zelda has been exhillerating such a stunning intuitive game that I have spent hrs just exploring avoiding all fights and just taking in the beauty of the game. It has been a joy in all three ways that the switch can be played.

I have found the console to be exceptional and beyond what I had hoped it would be. It is something that has made me feel excited to game again. Something I hadn't felt in a while, glorified PC based consoles obsessing over FPS and 4k resolutions over gameplay have led to my becoming bored of their stale recycled goods.

I am loving the experience and I haven't laughed so much playing along side Friend's for a while, so well done Nintendo for bringing the true meaning of fun back to gaming.

Fast rmx is epic too well with a purchase.

Forget the spec wars, kick back and enjoy the great system the switch is and the fun and social game play it allows.

ThisIsMyEgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@picky_bugger: that fucking shrine with the motion controlled ball maze bollocks

Yeah, I started getting pretty frustrated at that shrine until I realized that you could flip the ball over the wall where it starts and bypass the whole maze.

Picky_Bugger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thisismyego: Yeah I was trying that although it was annoying as hell in handheld mode. I've heard the easiest way was to flip the whole maze over and do it that way but I couldn't do that in handheld either. Tbh I had most trouble getting it off the maze, ended up jumping into the maze and using stasis to fire it across. Considering I wish the Switch had zero motion controls I can easily say this has been the only bit of Zelda I haven't thoroughly enjoyed.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anyone else have any issues with getting the little plastic door/cover (where the switch cartridges plug in) to click into place and/or stay closed after putting a game in there?

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By RetroMetal

It's quality, however, it feels a LOT like a SteelSeries Nimbus controller for whatever that's worth to you.

@guthwulf said:

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Axersia

I've used it to play through all of Zelda in handheld mode, and I'm quite happy with the system. It's no Vita though, but hey, it's hard to compete with perfection.

When they inevitably release the Vita-sized "Switch Lite" that's built as a single unit and allows you to connect to the TV without that stupid dock, I'll definitely need to jump on that even though I don't normally do hardware revisions. It's just too big for a handheld, but it definitely feels a lot better than the Wii U.

Anyway, I hope the system pulls through. Right now I'm not seeing anything that makes me think this won't be another Wii U disaster (if not worse). Nintendo needs to put all their support behind the Switch. The next Pokemon needs to be a Switch exclusive.

Eurobum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@sargon said:

Does anyone know the power requirements for charging the Pro Controller? I plugged mine into a USB 2.0 hub that I had used for my Wii U, but nothing happens. When I plug the cable directly into the Switch USB port, the orange charging light comes on. The same hub charges the Wii U Pro Controller just fine, so it would seem that the Switch controller needs more power.

USB 2.0 can only deliver 5 V and 1 Ampere so that's a total of 5 V * 1 A= 5 W.

5 Watt that really isn't even enough to power even a harddrive, which is why some of the old portable USB powered devices came with Y shaped USB cables that could be connected to 2 USB ports to double the power.

USB 3 on the other hand can deliver different voltages (5, 9, 15, 20 V), whenever an amperage is exceeded it power delivery shifts to a higher voltage. The switch runs on 15 V, but also will accept lover voltage sources from battery packs and the like, however it won't exceed 2 A. So a 5 Volt battery pack with 2 Ampere (5V * 2 A = 10 W) can power the Switch, which requires about 9 W in mobile mode, but cannot charge it. Now I assume the same goes for the pro controller, and I would be interested to hear if you can play with a discharged pro-controller plugged into a USB2 hub, even though it won't charge.

It's possible that the Pro Controller battery just needs a higher voltage, 'cause higher voltages generally are more efficient and we have these new voltage standards now...

At least this is how I interpret this article I read about the Switch Power. http://www.anandtech.com/show/11181/a-look-at-nintendo-switch-power-consumption

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.