Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

Getting a Switch today. What should I play?

HotSaucerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I ordered a Switch off Amazon in order to make sure I have my hands on one by the time Mario Odyssey releases. Tracking says it's being delivered today and I know I will want something to play on it before the end of October. I've already played through BOTW on the Wii U so I don't see myself double dipping on that, at least this shortly after. I don't see myself picking up Arms or Splatoon, the former because this doesn't interest me and the latter because I will be using it a lot as a handheld. What have you Switch owners played that you would recommend? The cheaper the better, but I don't mind springing for one full priced game if it's great.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By nicksmi56

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is probably my favorite Mario Kart ever, with great multiplayer and the first Mario Kart single player I've ever felt like completing. The focus on characters actually controlling way differently now and finding the right kart for the right character adds a whole bunch of depth, the controls are great and the game runs smooth as butter.

Sonic Mania's a good choice if you're into platformers and only goes for $20.

Overcooked is really for multiplayer, but a great game regardless if you have someone to play with. Any other indies like Shovel Knight or Cave Story that you're interested in but haven't played yet are good for handheld mode.

Based on the demo, Octopath Traveler's one to look at when it releases next year.

Those are the ones I've played since I'm mostly focusing on my backlog before really diving into the Switch library, though Mario + Rabbids is supposed to be great and Disgaea 5 is probably a great time sink if you're into that kind of game.

ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

As a recent Switch owner ( and I really like the system) it's pretty limited in terms of games. Since you had a WiiU and played BotW, I assume you also played Mario Kart 8. I would also suggest the new Sonic game. That's the only 3 games I have. I'm not interested in Splatoon or ARMS, so I can't speak to those. The Switch, I fear, is going to have a very limited library for quite some time.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Steamworld Dig 2 yo

sunie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I can warmly recommend Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle and if you want a nice throwback (also cheaper) game, give Blaster Master Zero a try or maybe Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Ravelle

Steam World Dig 2

Mario + Rabidds Kingdom Battle

Severed

Puyo Puyo Tetris

WasabiCurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ozzdog12: I had Mario Kart 8 for the Wii U but never really played it. Planning on getting the switch version since my friend managed to find another switch.

As a side note though, I did double dip for BoTW. It is more stable than the Wii U version but if you already played it enough, then it should suffice.

guthwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Kamiko is pretty great and it's only five bucks, but it's also relatively short.

I think games that give you a lot value for money would be Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove and Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+. Those are 20 and 40 bucks, but will both last you well over 20 hours (Shovel Knight) and probably around 150+ (Isaac) if you're a completionist. I think there are a lot of other great games that are destined for mobile play (Blaster Master, Wonderboy, Shantae, Mighty Gunvolt Burst), but from a value for money standpoint those two are probably among the best in my opinion.

The Switch is a terrific console for the big screen as well, though, so if you're considering that also, get Mario + Rabbids - it's really great. I just 100%ed it yesterday and clocked in at 55 hours, so you're definitely getting your money's worth there as well if that's your kind of game.

elmorales94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Buy Shephy. I believe it's only five dollars and it's a nice solitaire-ish game. Good for winding down at the end of a long day. I also enjoy Mighty Gunvolt Burst. It's another cheap one that I played a bunch of.

For big games, Mario + Rabbids is one of my favorite games of the year so far. Top three. Also, fyi Splatoon 2 does not require motion controls. They can be turned off, so if you're interested in the game and are just turned off by the idea of handheld motion, you should still give it a shot.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

Slime-San if you enjoy super meat boy style gameplay with great chiptune music.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

As someone who just bought a Switch, I got BOTW, VOEZ, and Sonic Mania. While I like VOEZ, the Switch may not be the greatest platform for it. I really enjoy Sonic Mania. The Binding of Isaac is also a great game, if you have never played that.

I think there are still a few gaming gaps in the Switch's library. It definitely feels like it has that new console problem where certain games get extra attention, just because there aren't a lot of games for the system yet. I would love to play a JRPG on that thing, but I don't think any exist for the system yet. Hopefully something like Octopath Traveller or Xenoblade Chronicles 2 fills that void before too long.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The Switch has been my favorite place to play Sonic Mania. And I've played a ton of it.

Mario + Rabbids is probably the AAA game I'm getting the most out of at the moment. I enjoyed Splatoon and Zelda earlier this year and look forward to Super Mario Odyssey. I'll probably be playing Skyrim on-the-go, as well as Doom and Wolfenstein over the coming months.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By Tom_omb

I'm also a new Switch owner. I wasn't sure if there was going to be a game before Mario Odyssey that I wanted to play, but the positive talk around Mario + Rabbids sold me on it. It's a lot of fun, with a great presentation, but I'm not sure I would have spent $90 CND on it if I had something else to play on my new toy. I just learned today that Picross S is coming out before the month is over! So I'm hyped for that. Steamworld Dig 2 is out now and looks neat too.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clagnaught: There's I Am Setsuna if you haven't played that. And Disgaea 5 if you're into turn-based strategy.

echasketchers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Some good stuff has been mentioned already but I'd like to shout out Ironcast. It's like $15 and is a weird strategy-roguelike-match 3 hybrid that is a lot of fun to tinker around with. There's a quick look with Drew and Jeff for the PC version if you're curious. I highly recommend it for a fun pick up and play type of game.

Tzarscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I think Sonic Mania is a must have if you have even the slightest bit of nostalgia for old sonic, it's a really good fit for the Switch.

As for Splatoon 2, I play my Switch 90% of the time undocked and I have really enjoyed playing Splatoon 2 in this way. I play with motion controls too, and while it does require you to sit in a certain position I think it works well. Actually the thing I would say about Splatoon 2 is that it's not great at maintaining longevity, the first 5 or so hours with it are great but my interest at least started dropping off after that.

Thumper is pretty good, I can vouch for that and it's a good port.

BoboBones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Picross S is launching soon. I'm excited for that.

If you don't have it on PS4, or XBO, check out Puyo Puyo Tetris. There is a demo on the Eshop.

I have found Mario + Rabbids to be well worth the price of admission.

I got bored of Splatoon 2 pretty quickly. There are just other games I would rather play.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Casepb

My vote also goes toward Steamworld Dig 2, got it yesterday and I'm enjoying it quite a lot. Never played the first one either.

Goboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle is really good. It's emphasis on movement and the chance to hit being limited to 100%, 50% & 0% are what makes it really interesting and feel a lot more like a puzzle game.

HotSaucerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks a lot guys and girls. So much helpful info/opinions in this thread. Really helped me out. I wish I hadn't of already bought Thumper, Sonic Mania, Shovel Knight and Overcooked on my Xbone because I feel like those would all be greatly complimented by portability. I don't think I can justify buying them twice even though I see myself actually completing more of them if I had access to them while I'm on the go. They wouldn't have to compete with Destiny 2, Witcher 3, etc when I sit down on the couch and play something on my Xbox. Tons of good recommendations in here. What I ended up getting was Steamworld Dig 2 and also Snipperclips (mainly to play with the GF and see if individual joy cons as controllers have any value). Using the joy con for Snipperclips didnt cramp my hand nearly as much as I was expecting, which is a surprise because my 3DS certainly does. I'm completely smitten with Steamworld Dig 2 so far, and the fact that I really am digging how sharp the screen looks makes it even better. I almost did a silly thing and bought Zelda and MK8 for a second time just to see those pretty games on the nice screen but I snapped out of it when I got to the $90.00 Canadian checkout page. I'll probably hold on a full priced game till Odyssey, but Rabbids might tempt me from what you guys have said in here. Hoping that Golf Story game ends up being cool as well. Thanks again everyone!

DEmz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pokken tournament

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I just bought a Switch in time for Odyssey as well. Mine came with Splatoon 2 as a free download, which was a nice bonus, but surprise! I still don't enjoy online multiplayer games.

I was going to buy some other games for it, maybe something easy-going like Biding of Isaac or Cave Story, but mother sweet holy fuck those are expensive! Like what the hell even? I'll probably get Kingdom Battle at some point, but with both Odyssey and Wolfenstein 2 being almost guaranteed buys for me, on top of just buying a whole new console in Canadian dollars, there's no way I can justify to my conscience spending that amount of money on old-ass indie games or games that probably won't go on sale anytime soon. Even Steamworld Dig 2 is cheaper on Steam and I'll sure as hell have access to Steam for longer than I will a Switch, so it feels silly to buy it on Switch.

With that being said, Severed seems solid enough at $15 and I could see myself pecking away at that during slow nights.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.