Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

How hard do you think this thing will be to find?

• 53 results
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

So, right now I'm looking for a switch and I literally can't find anyone that isn't preordered or something. I'm even thinking of buying that 500 dollar GameStop bundle that I dont need half of what it comes with. Do you guys think this is going to be a wii like situation where it's impossible to find for 6 months? Or is it probably going to stabilize in about a month?

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

I can't find one either. I think it'll be a good couple of months before they're readily available.

vstag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Same with me. I would love to buy one, but never have seen one in stock. I really hate those resellers I think there like 500 on ebay right now.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmmm. Well I wanted to start my own thread but this one is a bit to similar and would probably get deleted. I'm thinking we should slightly hijack this thread into a looking/found locations with switches in stock? Particularly, maybe also duders who work in retail could give us shout outs here if their stores get any in stock?! Listen...I'm real desperate for a switch here and just trying to find one ASAP. Anyone else agree??

CountPickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By EthanielRain

They aren't too hard to find here in the midwest AFAIK. Friend picked one up from Toys R Us the other day np - think he said they had ~20 - and I've seen a few here and there.

I wouldn't go crazy about it, $500 being pretty crazy ^_^

katpottz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I walked into a GameStop yesterday and they had about 8 of em on the shelves. I think they are easier to find in lower populated towns.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Ha! It totally is successful at this time. Pretty funny since a lot of people on these boards claimed you could probably go get one whenever just like the Wii U because the Switch was supposedly a bad deal.

My retailer tells me the second wave comes in around 12 May.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: yeah seems like a pretty big hit for them, just hope they can keep the momentum up.

Heartagram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By Heartagram

I guess it's good I am super underwhelmed by everything I've seen so far. I want one, but not enough to put in effort to find it. I really am not that big on Nintendo games and I just can't imagine third parties putting much on it that I can't play in better resolution and frame rate elsewhere.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By xanadu

@otakugamer: Cool that seems like a pretty useful tool. Is it only for online stock though or does it also refer to physical stores as well?

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By WynnDuffy

@heartagram said:

I just can't imagine third parties putting much on it that I can't play in better resolution and frame rate elsewhere.

It's going to be huge for indie games and most of those will likely run at 60 FPS on the Switch, if you have no interest in Nintendo games or the freedom that the console gives you with regards to taking it away from the TV, it's probably not worth it.

I think it's an incredible machine.

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just saw a Grey one at a Walmart about a 5 minute walk from my work and now I've got Zelda dancing in the back of my head telling to go grab it.

It would take me 5 minutes to purchase, and probably an hour to explain to my wife.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If any one is interested in going completely legit Gamestop has this ridiculous bundle for the Colored Joy Con Switch for just a meager $522...

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Casepb
    whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bmccann42 said:

It would take me 5 minutes to purchase, and probably an hour to explain to my wife.

Skip the explanation, hand her a joycon, and boot up Snipperclips. That's how I plan to justify my Switch purchase (though that might be in 2018). Nothing says "I love you" like co-op fun.

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@whitegreyblack: Went to grab it and the unit was gone, so back to just looking around now. They seem to pop into stores so just need to be patient. I mostly just want to play Zelda.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OH my god guys, I just had my heart broken so bad...I woke up this morning and checked Nintendo Switch stock as I do every time I wake up. I saw by some miracle that my local Fry's Electronics had them in stock! Tried calling before I headed but they were not open yet so I just decided to race over there. I get there about 20 minutes before the store opens and there was only 3 other guys waiting a switch. Im feeling pretty optimistic about my chances. We talk to each other about how we've all been looking for one and how crazy it is, one guy said he was just gonna try and re sell it if he got one. So the store finally opens up and we head to the video game section, no switches on the shelf. We had a pecking order of who was first (me being last) so we all just walked over to the first employee we could find and asked him. Once he confirmed they were in stock he went to go back to get them. Except not because there was only one. THEY HAD ONE NINTENDO SWITCH. Guess which dude was first? The one who said he was going to re sell it.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. /rant

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xanadu: My heart just broke for you, that sucks! I'm really glad I was able to secure one as soon as preorders opened. I can't deal with anxiously checking stock and wonder if "today will be the day?!"

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Resellers appear to be the main culprits of the shortages - look at Amazon. Up here in Canada all the prices are 699.00 for the console, a full $300 increase. And they are now impossible to find, stores are getting in maybe 1 or 2 units a week. They got plenty of games though, and accessories, but no consoles.

Is Nintendo really this bad at logistical planning or is this just situation as normal for them? I've never pruchased a Nintendo console at launch, and am kind of amazed at this.

dafdiego777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bmccann42: I remember the ps4 being the same deal when it launched. just seems to be the thing lately.

JasonMasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravensword: I'm in the Chicago area and I have been on the hunt for one since just after launch. No dice. I am assuming the stock will be low until the end of the year when Mario comes out.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By pompouspizza

@bmccann42: Scalping is really shitty. Nintendo always seem to run into this problem but with the Switch, I could easily see how they just underestimated demand. I can understand why when you look at how the Wii U sold, I can imagine they're very wary of overproducing units.

The Switch seems to be selling really well and it would sell even better if they had them in stock. I have never known anyone to buy consoles at crazy marked up prices, is it just people with more money than sense?

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

Keep your eye out at Best Buys and Gamestops this week. My buddy just got one at Best Buy yesterday, so shipments are potentially happening again. And Gamestop was out there saying today is the first day they hope to start getting them.

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I used nowinstock.net, set it to beep when their was stock :)

first one was "lost" in the mail.. ugh.. but i finally got one from bestbuy and it is coming this Friday!

do check primenow.. they are random popping up in different markets

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By YoThatLimp

Yeah I bought one on launch day with PrimeNow

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By xanadu

GUYS AMAZON GRAY SWITCHES ARE IN STOCK BUT YOU HAVE TO HAVE PRIME! YOU CAN SIGN UP FOR A FREE 30 DAY PRIME MEMBERSHIP AND STILL GET IT! I JUST DID!!! IS THIS REAL?!?!?!

Edit:

Loading Video...

Really hoping I actually got one instead of ordering one in a window when they were sold out but still accepting orders...Im not worried, dont be worried, I'm not. NO ONE IS WORRIED HERE.

Puchiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Puchiko

Seems to come back into stock pretty frequently judging by how often CheapAssGamer's Twitter posts in-stock alerts.

Luchalma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In Australia, they're in literally every shop I've been to that sells consoles. The only console I've ever seen in stock around launch.

DBrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I used istocknow for awhile there, and it correctly identified my local Target as getting stock. I showed up at 7am today (one hour before opening). I was sixth in line. They got five.

Luckily I was able to jump on the prime thing but man was I feeling down about things this morning.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ripelivejam

i'm seeing some on amazon marketplace for like $150. probably just shady people being shady, but i wonder if scalpers had a lot less demand and are just trying to recoup costs in any way. and thus maybe demand for it was exaggerated? i know we don't care about big corporations but i hope this is a success for nintendo and we see more and more games announced for it.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam: Definitely scammers. Not sure why Amazon even lets that happen.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So quick update: I got the 440 dollar bundle GameStop was selling that came with Zelda, the season pass to Zelda, shovel knight, snipper clips, and whatever that racing games called that looks like Wipeout. Pretty much I traded in my old 360 and Wii U and they're games and only had to pay 80 dollars out of pocket for the bundle because they had extra trade credit speacils going on. So that should be arriving this Friday if all goes accordingly.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravensword: They are Region Free so you can always buy an international one. Bought mine in Japan since im here for a few months and just changed it to english when setting it up. Cost like $260 because of the Tax-Free stores and the exchange rate.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By xanadu

My amazon order went through and it just arrived at my door :) :) gonna go to the store soon and pick up Zelda. Maybe a pro controller too if they have them because I instantly didn't like the feel of the analog sticks on the joy cons.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

Just picked mine up today at Target. Was very casually looking, I was up early and decided to take my chances. Lucky for me they had one left and got my hands on it. Seems pretty cool so far. It feels much better than I thought and it's much more compact too. Don't really know what I was expecting but so far seems like a cool piece of tech.

My next challenge is getting my wife to stop playing Zelda so I can have a go at it!

Roger_Klotz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used istocknow.net to get mine. Happened to see that a GameStop less than a mile from me just received new stock around my lunch break. Rushed over and bought it, just as five other people came into the store to do the same. I wasn't forced to buy the bundle neither. My luck finnaly came through after 2 weeks of nothing.

tjdmhem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By tjdmhem

I can't find one either so I'm going to have to wait for one to be available.

bobafoot17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By bobafoot17

@ravensword: I don't think it'll be hard to find in a month or two. In the meantime, my best advice is just keep looking everywhere, online and retail. I got lucky and was looking online and found mine at Target the Monday after release, so they are there, it just takes time to find.

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
    RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By RalphMoustaccio

Just a shout to the duders who mentioned istocknow.com. I had never heard of that, and was able to locate a weirdly hard-to-find Switch pro controller. Thanks!

For those looking for a console itself, persistence or patience are going to be your best options at least for the first couple of months. Politely ask the staff working what days and times they usually get shipments, and show up as soon after those shipments arrive at the store on those days to see if they got any. Doing so, I was able to get one at my local Target the Monday after launch on my way into work that day.

chaz934

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've yet to see one on a store shelf in the Cleveland area; and I've gone to quite a few stores over the last few weeks. My guess is there will be another big drop on 4/28.

Twiggy199

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I could just walk to the shop and get one here in the UK. Same with PSVR.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@twiggy199: Haha, Same over here in Japan. Since they are Region free you can buy one anywhere and just change it to the language you want. Games are region free also so that makes it easy to change the language also :D Also, went into a store last weekend and saw they had at least 15 psvr in stock and no one was paying any attention to them.

JasonMasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My girlfriend managed to snag one off Best Buy during an online push. She did it through the app on her phone, it seemed to work way better than trying to use the site. It arrives on Saturday!

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By bmccann42

Well Amazon Canada suddenly got a bunch available to Prime members yesterday, so I pulled the trigger on a grey one - arrives Monday. Already purchased Zelda using that 20% off Prime deal, so I am all good with this thing.

Just need to make sure I don't install the wrist straps wrong...

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

I honestly think it will be fairly easy to find by mid to late summer.

mcleangillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im waiting for it and i think we will receive it when we are not interested anymorer. Urgh

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.