Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

How is the Switch Pro going to be?

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By gtxforza

Hello there Nintendo Switch fans!

We've got only 10 more days until E3 2021, what I've known about this console is going to be another iteration of the Nintendo Switch but being a high-end model and capable to run on 4K resolution, either on TVs or monitors.

By June 4th, 2021 this will be revealed.
    Nintendo Switch Pro Will Be Revealed on June 4th, According to a Leak - Technclub

Also, I've heard rumors saying it will include a 7-inch Samsung OLED screen, USB 3.0 ports, and an ethernet port. Plus it may release by fall 2021.

kronixi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I dont EXSPECT alot of power as that isnt nintendos style...

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Gundato

Comedically disappointing.

Assume same bad ergonomics, same flimsy rail, and same bad analog sticks. Maybe they'll find a way to make using old joyucons "look bad" and encourage people to rebuy those. Bonus points if nintendo starts glueing parts down to make self repairs harder.

In terms of power: Unless that thing has DLSS out the whazoo (and even then, 720p is pushing the magic and will probably look jank for anything that isn't a first party solid color textures nintendo game), you aren't getting significant performance gains without getting to the flagship phone/Current Gen Console price ranges. And making the dock an egpu will be similarly expensive in ways I just don't see happening. So odds are the "4k capable" mostly means that nintendo got a good deal on more modern hdmi ports and MAYBE netflix (... is there a netflix app for switch yet?) will be able to output 4k

And it is worth taking a look at the gdp win 3, aya neo, and the other one. A better display is nice... but only if you can drive it. Otherwise it is likely worse visuals (and probably worse pixel density) and a drain on battery life.

Still, there will be some fancy colors and people will lose their god damned minds to buy it. Especially with the thought of doing more travel (and thus wanting a portable console) as we enter The New Normal. And hopefully it helps games like DQ Builders 2 and Hyrule Warriors 2 run in a semi-performant way.

And as far as my wild guess: Nintendo will continue to somehow make Sony look competent by making an even worse model for upgrading. Want a Hollow Knight that uses the Super Switch U's better processor? Better re-buy it.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gundato: Ok, we'll find out when this iteration of Nintendo Switch launches by fall 2021.

Kemuri07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kronixi said:

I dont EXSPECT alot of power as that isnt nintendos style...

It probably won't rival Ps5/Xbox series X because it goes against their "second console" mandate. Games will run better, and will probably make porting last gen games to the switch a bit easier.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only see it as a small improvement as its probably not built on a new processing node. I would imagine it being a readily available chip that has already been on market for a while. Which could easily be the Tegra X2 or who knows maybe Xavier.

However i will say the only thing i want out of it is some sort of temporal image upscaling. I can´t get over the fact that the Switch looks godawful on a 4K TV.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only see it as a small improvement as its probably not built on a new processing node. I would imagine it being a readily available chip that has already been on market for a while. Which could easily be the Tegra X2 or who knows maybe Xavier.

However i will say the only thing i want out of it is some sort of temporal image upscaling. I can´t get over the fact that the Switch looks godawful on a 4K TV.

I see, I highly recommend you to buy a Switch Pro so you can enjoy proper 4K resolution for your 4K TV.

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gtxforza said:
    @meierthered said:

I see, I highly recommend you to buy a Switch Pro so you can enjoy proper 4K resolution for your 4K TV.

Oh. I've been busy all day. Did they actually post the specs?

MobiusFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It will probably have the same availability problems as every other cool new electronic device so no matter what it has, I'm excited to pretend it doesn't exist until sometime next year.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't care if it isn't a PS5 in my hands, as long as it's punchier than the current switch, I'm getting it.

hansberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing has been announced, and Nintendo doesn't really pursue power or high specs ever; so my expectations are low to maintain a sense of realism. That's even assuming that they do announce something. Maybe they will; but at this point so many people are feeding off of the rumours posted on other sites rather than their own sources that I'm taking a "believe it when I see it" approach.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Not only am I expecting a less than adequate upgrade, I am also imagining they make it an extremely difficult process to transfer my library. They have fucked me for so many years now with such terrible anti-consumer decisions that I don't know why I keep giving them my money. But I definitely will.

OSail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Consider the subtleness of the E3; how its most dreaded features glide under contact information spreadsheets, unapparent for the most part, and treacherously hidden beneath the loveliest tints of azure. Consider also the devilish brilliance and beauty of many of its most remorseless marketing events, as the dainty embellished shape of many species of sharks. Consider, once more, the universal cannibalism of the E3; all whose executives prey upon each other, carrying on eternal war since the world began.

Consider all this; and then turn to the green, gentle, and most docile rumours; consider them both, the E3 and the Nintendo; and do you not find a strange analogy to something in yourself? For as this appalling promises surrounds the verdant land, so in the soul of man there lies one insular Switch 2.0, full of peace and joy, but encompassed by all the horrors of the half-known life. God keep thee! Push not off from E3, thou canst never return!

In short: I don't expect anything major, a screen and battery upgrade, some upgrades for graphical power and CPU stuff. I don't expect anything at all if Nintendo aren't actually featuring hardware there either.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gundato: Someone's got an axe to grind...

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm assuming it's just more resolution and minor changes like screen size, i'm mainly hoping it causes price drops for the standard iteration.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Nothing that'll make my PC jealous, but I'll eat a hat if it'll run Breath of the Wild at a locked 60.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing that'll make my PC jealous, but I'll eat a hat if it'll run Breath of the Wild at a locked 60.

I hope Breath Of The Wild will run better on the Switch Pro.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't wait to see Switch Pro to be revealed within the next 24 hours!

hansberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By hansberg

Just... Don't get your hopes up. Rumors are unreliable at the best of times. This, especially where the primary source of the rumors seems to be other outlets at this point and not any source that could be considered reliable. The situation has, in my opinion, quickly dissolved into 'my uncle who works at Nintendo' levels.

Also worth noting that it's about 1:00 am out in Japan, so the time for such an announcement if there was to be one has probably passed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.