Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

New switch has a User and saves on it already

watershreder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By watershreder

so this is kinda weird i just got a new switch today and powering it up it didnt have any sort of set up and already had a user, i didnt think anything of it at first and just changed the nickname thinking it was how the switch worked. then i tried to go to the eshop and it was asking for a password and things started to add up that this is not normal. i should mention that on the main menu when i first started there were icons for Arcade Archives Vs. super mario bros., Legend of zelda BOTW, and Namco Museup pac man vs free multiplayer only vr.

whats really strange is that there is also a breath of the wild save on here as well from 12/28/17 an autosave from shrine of resurrection, i just got it today 1/10/18. this is strange right? has anyone else heard of anything like this?

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

return it and exchange it for a different one, or factory reset it. I don't know where you got it from but if it's from a retail store then maybe it was one on display as a demo unit.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By handlas

Id return it for a new one because it sounds like you were sold a used Switch.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Take that fucker back and get a new one. Somebody has tried to do ya.

watershreder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By watershreder
    unknownczar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You got a used switch sold as a new one. Retail stores do it all the time. I remember I got a used xbox 360 years ago when I bought one new from wallmart (the packaging and wires were all a mess). I returned it that day and made sure the next one they brought out was brand new. I literally went through 3 consoles before they brought out a new one lol. That wallmart just stocked all their returns as new consoles. I never shopped there again.

Anyways, make sure to return it cause you paid for a new one. Stores should not get away with that kind of fraud. Not only that, but it's possible you will have issues with registering your console and all that with Nintendo. It's just not worth the possible hassle to keep it just to avoid the product return at your store.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Return that thing, dude.

mortonan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was the seller Amazon proper or a third-party seller through Amazon?

watershreder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By watershreder

the order says Sold by: Amazon.com Services, Inc.

i think im just going to keep the thing, its working fine, got my Nintendo account set up just fine, and i got that mario arcade game for free so whatever doesnt seem worth the hassle of returning it and waiting for a new one

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if you paid for a new one, i'd return that unit lickity-split. it's painless enough to do via amazon support chat, and they might throw in a bonus.

if it has existing user data on it, you don't know what's up with that or where it came from. i wouldn't want to deal with that (especially if there were issues down the road, such as it being boosted, paid for with a fraudulent credit card, whatever!).

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was used, if you have prime i would call them up and complain. If you dont want a new one you could get a prime extension or some credit maybe they are pretty good about that stuff.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I would at the least have a chat with costumer service and ask for some money back if you are fine with keeping it, because that is a $45 difference in price from a used one being sold by Amazon themselves right now.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Were all those games on there? If so, seems like you got a deal. It's not like a few months used is necessarily a death sentence for the console. And having a small library come with the thing, seems really nice. If they're just saves, and not full games, then I'd probably return it. Weird stuff.

unknownczar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh it was amazon? They have sent me used stuff before. From amazon proper. At least it's a free return/replace to them. They ship the replacement as soon as you file for it, so it's only a 2 day inconvenience. When I ordered my Rift from there, I got a used one first. I think they mix up their refurb and new stock from time to time.

Not sure how... but it has happened...

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Like others have said, either exchange it or talk to support about it. Amazon is great about covering their customers, so if you even shoot them a quick email you'll probably come out benefitting from the situation.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I've also gotten used things from Amazon before that was claiming to be "New".

boiter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

accidentally put water bottle with lid open in my bag at one point and created a little pool of water for all my belongings to temporarily bathe in before i noticed and quickly ran back home to sort the mess out. switch in case was in the water. the switch still turned on but the usb-c port was bugged out and would no longer connect/charge. my point in all this ? if you paid for a new switch you should send that shit back and get yourself a new switch. you don't know why the previous owner sent theirs back.

BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"She's dead, wrapped in plastic."

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm surprised they didn't sell it as an Amazon Warehouse Deal at 10 bucks off. That's usually what they do with open box items. I mean, if you're gonna go through the trouble of resealing it and it making it look like new, at least wipe the thing first, no?

But I agree with the general sentiment here that you don't wanna keep it. I've certainly returned items in the past that I shouldn't have. For example, a PSP with the warranty sticker removed. I made sure to meticulously remove all glue residue so that no one would ever think about it. So someone out there ended up with a "new" PSP that had been in use for 2 weeks, been dropped on the ground, and had the warranty sticker removed.

Also, if you deleted the account that had downloaded games on it, all added value has already been lost. And there's no guarantee you could've kept access to them anyway. Not worth it.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yeah I'd return it asap. Someone returned that sucker for a reason cause their is no way its actually new.

mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Like others have said. I would call and complain. You'll probably get some money back. You can use that buy a game :D

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mesklinite: Right, that's another option as well. Unfortunately there's no way to know how much they'll refund you beforehand.

Last year I received a PS4 game with the case completely shattered, so I emailed customer support asking for a new case, or 5 bucks in Amazon credit so I could order a new one. Instead they gave me 12 bucks, which covered 40% of the cost of the game.

So if you're unhappy with your purchase, always speak up, no matter how minor the issue. But when it comes to actual hardware... Eh, I'd just send it back, honestly.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.