Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

News about VC or game recommendations for new Switch owner?

SupesDupes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hi everyone,

I'm sure this has been talked about to death, but I can't find recent topics discussing it.

I'm a new Switch owner and haven't followed the topic closely - but is the Switch any closer to getting a virtual console with retro titles?

Otherwise can anyone recommend any hidden gems on the system? I've got my hands on Odyssey, BOTW, and Shovel Knight - love all three, but looking for something to grab during Christmas sales.

Thanks!

SupesDupes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SupesDupes

I should also mention I've been highly considering grabbing the Telltale Batman series, I'm waiting for Mario Kart 8 to drop in price before grabbing that, and I've got a PS4 so I'm not necessarily interested in grabbing games such as Doom or Skyrim, which are half the price on PS4.

Wandrecanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Steamworld Dig 2.

You will not be disappointed.

SupesDupes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wandrecanada: Thanks, I loved Steamworld 1, I'll have to check that out.

Girafro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Girafro

If you don't already own it or if you're willing to put in more time with it, Stardew Valley is pretty great on the Switch, perfect game for portable mode too.

SupesDupes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@girafro: Never played it, I've seen one or two YouTube letsplay type videos about it - my questions about this game is whether its easy to pick up and get accustomed to the systems, then put down for a while and jump back into? Or does it really require numerous hours to familiarize oneself with all the game's systems? It looks pretty involved and somewhat complicated to be honest.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

If you like golf, Golf Story is pretty good too. A little RPG golf game with charming characters that I'll finish one of these days.

elmorales94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No word on VC as far as I'm aware.

If you're waiting on a price drop for a Nintendo game... it's gonna be a long wait. Though I suppose it's not too big a deal if you're not itching to play MK8D.

Of course Snipperclips and Picross are musts. For smaller cheaper games, I like Shephy (a quirky solitaire-ish game) and Mighty Gunvolt Burst (a Mega Man-like with load-out customization). I'll also go on the record saying that Switch may be the best place to play Thimbleweed Park because of the undocked touch controls.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

The Virtual Console/that subscription service/whatever they do, hasn't happened yet.

If you are interested in retro style games, check out Sonic Mania, SteamWorld Dig 2, or Stardew Valley.

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I rather like the Metal Slug games on it; arcade games are perfect on the Switch.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@supesdupes said:

I'm waiting for Mario Kart 8 to drop in price before grabbing that

I hate to break it to you, but that's not going to happen. Nintendo games don't drop in price. The Wii U version of Mario Kart 8, released 3 and a half years ago on a system that has since been discontinued, is still $50. The Switch version is going to remain at or close to full price for years to come.

EDIT: Just checked, and Mario Kart Wii from 2008 is still around $40.

SupesDupes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clagnaught: played Sonic Mania on PS4 (before getting Switch, fantastic game). So is that what the VC will be tied to? Their online service they're launching? I thought that was just to play multiplayer online.

@ll_exile_ll: that's a fair point, forgot Nintendo 1st party will likely not be discounted. Good call.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

@supesdupes: To be honest, this may have changed. The original/old plan was to have a subscription service that would add and remove games over time, Netflix style. For example, if you want to play Super Mario 3, you could play it because it was the game of the month, not because you paid $5 for it. Nintendo has not commented on it for a while (no mention during the last big Nintendo Direct or at E3), so their plans or business model may have changed.

Girafro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supesdupes: It's the type of game that gets easier by looking more complicated, later. You also have an unlimited amount of time to work on your farm so even if you forget a few things or spend a day or two (in-game) familiarizing yourself, you won't really get left behind.

I actually find it to be a very relaxing game to play, not super involved. Kind of like Harvest Moon, really.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

I just got a Switch today! Yaaaaaay! And I'm very much intending on picking up Hollow Knight. People seemingly cannot say enough good things about it. Seriously, they just will not shut up. And I figure if you can't beat 'em..

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was just released yesterday. I really enjoyed the first game on my 3DS, and this one seems to be getting good reviews, so if you're into weird JRPGs, this might be up your tree. I'll very likely be picking it up, my own self, towards the end of the year once I feel less overwhelmed by how much Zelda I have infront of me.

There's also a bunch of smaller games coming out on the seventh of this month, as well as a few others later on just before Christmas-tiiiimee, so keep your eyes peeled. Might be something worthwhile in the bunch.

Oh, and if you're an absolute soul-less husk, they released that Dynasty Warriors styled Fire Emblem.

SupesDupes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@do_the_manta_ray: Congrats! The console's a ton a fun, which took me by surprise, anyways. Not a big JRPG fan, so I'll probably be skipping Xenoblade, but thanks for the recommendation!

SupesDupes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supesdupes: For example, if you want to play Super Mario 3, you could play it because it was the game of the month, not because you paid $5 for it.

I really hope that's not still the case, I want to pay $5 and have Mario 3 accessible at all times. I'd much rather that than get a randomly chosen game and only have access for one month. Considering the back catalogue they'd have access to, feels like it'd be really random to finally get the game you're waiting on (gimme some SNES Zombies Ate My Neighbors).

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Battle Chef Brigade is real good on the Switch.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ec693ca37d2a
    deactivated-5ec693ca37d2a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I picked up Never Stop Sneaking' yesterday to play in the bus. It's Metal Gear Solid 1 sneaking in a more arcade format.

Check it out : https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/never-stop-sneakin-switch

mortonan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like everyone just assumes they announced a Virtual Console for the Switch and it's just taking a while, but as far as I'm aware Nintendo hasn't suggested anything like that at all. Only references to Dr Mario and SMB3 get some new features as part of their paid online service. I keep seeing both fans and game journalists/personalities saying "where's virtual console" and I'm wondering why they assume it's coming.

That said, thanks for the Never Stop Sneaking recommendation.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They literally talked about classic games being on rotation through their paid online service like a Netflix of classic NES/SNES games.

Sounds like VC to me.

@mortonan said:

I feel like everyone just assumes they announced a Virtual Console for the Switch and it's just taking a while, but as far as I'm aware Nintendo hasn't suggested anything like that at all. Only references to Dr Mario and SMB3 get some new features as part of their paid online service. I keep seeing both fans and game journalists/personalities saying "where's virtual console" and I'm wondering why they assume it's coming.

That said, thanks for the Never Stop Sneaking recommendation.

mortonan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@retrometal: But it's also nothing at all like VC on the Wii, Wii U, and 3DS. If people think they're going to be able to buy Link to the Past and all their favorite SNES games a la cart and not have them tied to a subscription service, they'll likely be disappointed. Nintendo's also always equated VC with perfect emulation, and the classic games they've talked about for the Switch are going to have new features like online play. That makes them more like ports, and is also going to slow the rate of releases.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.