Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

Nintendo Direct June 2023 Discussion Thread

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#1 ZombiePie  Staff

Nintendo finally hosted a Direct in June and it had some games worth talking about! Goin into the event, the rest of Nintendo's 2023 was a bit of a question mark with The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom and Pikmin 4's July release as the only internal productions with hard dates attached to them. The games, expansions, and DLC they announced during the event were:

Here's a link to the June Nintendo Direct without commentary in case you wanted to watch it:

Some highlights for me have to be the Remake of Super Mario RPG, the new 2D Mario platformer, and the return of Detective Pikachu. What stood out to you other than the potential of elephant Mario breaking DeviantArt?

The internet is going to do things to this, won't it?
    The internet is going to do things to this, won't it?

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By brian_

Penny's Big Breakaway looks rad. I'm interested in seeing what the Sonic Mania team does with that. More so than the new Sonic game. I just don't like the whole interruption of "2D in 3D" aesthetic. I think it's hideous.

I actually had that reaction a lot during this direct. I don't like the look of the Sonic game. I don't like the look of Squat Mario (the character specifically. The rest of that game looks quite nice.) or the Super Mario RPG remake. I don't like the 2.5D stuff in Star Ocean. Is it just me? Am I the problem? Probably.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Mario Bros. Wonder was the highlight for me. I'm not sure what to make of it, but it seems there's some mechanic where levels morph into something crazy. It looks creative and interesting.

Pikmin 4 looks good but I wasn't a fan of the caves in Pikmin 2 so I'm not so excited about those returning. All I want from Pikmin is big, bright, beautiful open levels to explore.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ngl, as someone who doesn't get a nostalgia buzz off remakes or a particular affection for 2D mario- it was alright, but i wasn't popping for anything in particular.

now if they were to put out a god damned Rhythm Heaven for the Switch, i might be liable to cause a ruckus.

noboners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think my expectations were so low for this direct that I came out pleasantly surprised. The Mario RPG stuff is cool, but I would have been fine with the original just being added to the SNES online where I could rewind and save state. What they showed of SMB Wonder seems cool, and it looks the most interesting 2d Mario has in a long time (not counting Mario Maker), but I gotta see more before I actually get excited for it. Vampire Survivors coming to switch is neat. WarioWare Move It! was the game of the show for me.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I'm surprised at how good that Star Ocean 2 remake looks. That's an odd one to bring back but I'm down for it.

borgmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

Between New New Super Mario Bros., New Super Sonic Bros., and a new Super Princess Peach game it seems like there are as many polygonal 2D platformers in the works as there are farming sims. At this point Metroid Prime 4 is going to be launch title for their new hardware.

Maybe they'll finally make Mario RPG into something playable.

apewins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Decent showing for a console that is clearly at the end of its life and they're holding out the big stuff for the next generation. Weirdly I'm most interested at playing these Metal Gear games on a Nintendo console.

The 2D Mario is not doing it for me, I feel like the New Super Mario Bros series is out there and this is just another one of those. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon port is a weird one that really feels like this should have the first two games in one like the Pikmin release. I'll definitely check out Super Mario RPG though.

daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 12

That was a wonderful Direct. Just so much cool stuff for any person to enjoy. Personal favorites are Palia, Silent Hope and Penny's Big Breakaway.

My only note is that I would've liked just a smidge more info about the Princess Peach game, because it looks like they're toning it down, rather than the sheer chaos of the DS game. I hope it stays weird, but in a better way.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

An okay Direct. Looking forward to the sequel to Super Mario Bros 2 called Wonder. Elephant Mario rules. Them remaking Mario RPG is also nice. As someone who only played a little bit of Princess Peach, I will give the sequel a shot. And the remake of Star Ocean 2 one of the best JRPGs during the PSX era is nice. And the MSX Metal Gears are great.

Interesting, no Metroid Prime 4, no Super Mario Odyssey 2. Its safe to say those will be future launch games for the Switch 2.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#11 ZombiePie  Staff

@daavpuke said:

My only note is that I would've liked just a smidge more info about the Princess Peach game, because it looks like they're toning it down, rather than the sheer chaos of the DS game. I hope it stays weird, but in a better way.

I was almost hoping that we would see the original Peach game remastered to coincide with this announcement but yeah... I don't think that can be allowed to exist, and rightfully so, today. I do wonder what the gimmick for the new game will be considering they can't have it be Peach's emotions.

I'm surprised at how good that Star Ocean 2 remake looks. That's an odd one to bring back but I'm down for it.

My issue with the Star Ocean 2 re-remake is that it seems like whoever was directing it continually shouted "MAKE IT LOOK LIKE OCTOPATH TRAVELER! MORE!!! MOOOOOOOOOOORE!"

chamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Japan's Direct had an Umamusume game announced that was like a party game compilation of old Kunio games such as dodge ball and other activities.

That and besides the obvious first party announcements I was down with the Star Ocean 2 remake.

dwerkmd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was a great Direct. I was surprised that they didn't do a talk over until I realized it was on YouTube only. I only checked on a whim because it was odd but is this going to be a thing going forward? I use the site to watch videos because YouTube is a trash fire of dumb thumbnails and never check the channel.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.