Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

Nintendo's Next Console Is Called the Nintendo Switch

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@capstan said:

The Smiling Millennials is the name of my alt-folk jam band.

You guys really sold out after that first album.

kensei423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think this is great! It's never going to matter to Nintendo if they compare themselves to the Xbox one or PS4... even if I buy this system and it's mostly first party titles. The fact I can play at home or take it when I'm traveling is awesome.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drekly: Me probably. I have a PC so anything like a PS4 is mostly useless for me. I do still like Nintendo games though, but have only been able to get the handheld or the console for a while. All the Nintendo games on one thing that can also be portable sounds good to me if they price it well.

ALavaPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I just what to know what this says for mario maker.

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm so fucking excited.

Avatar image for bowl-of-lentils
    Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

Real glad to see that Hamster is one of the developers that will supporting the Switch.

Assirra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By Assirra

@drekly said:

It looks like it's trying to be two things but not being very good at either.

As a console, it's not going to compare with the PS4 and XB1.

As a portable device (pretty much a tablet) it will probably just play games, have a browser and support Netflix etc. iPads and other tablets can do way more already with way more game selection (and dev support). Not to mention you can also connect them to your TV.

I just don't know who this is for.

I have to ask but why you think it is competing for anything?

Nintendo has not been competing with Sony and Microsoft for almost a decade when they started doing their own thing and went completely off the rails with the WII. They don't need to since they will forever have their first party IP's both MS and Sony would kill for. Can you imagine a Pokemon game on this thing? Once initially designed for consoles yet being able to carry it along.

Comparing a handheld and a tablet is silly since they are 2 separate devices with different audiences and goals.

Oh and i know a certain market where this will hit like a bomb. Japan. Handhelds over there are numerous times bigger then consoles. You have actually people coming together and playing with their 3ds or back when there was a Monster Hunter event and a huge portion of the waiting row was actually playing on their handheld.

DinkyDoomer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208  Edited By DinkyDoomer

I think it looks really good. I'm not sure if the Nintendo demographic (whatever that even is anymore) will care about it, but I hope they do.

I will say that playing split-screen on that tiny screen is probably much less fun than the video visualizes.

Also, I wonder how much all of those accessories will cost. Probably a lot. And I also am not sure how well the thing will actually perform with this fancy Nvidia Tegra processor. Those Tegras are indeed impressive, but I'd definitely like to see it actually running rather than in a commercial.

Way to go Nintendo, it's a cool design. And I think it's definitely what a lot of gamers want: The options to play where they want.

EchoForge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Carts on consoles, never thought I'd see the day again...
    But works here.

Looks slick! Not even a huge NCL fan, but I hope it works out for them. I've been burned twice now by their last two consoles in terms of being an early adopter so I'll wait, but I really want them to make it.

Love the March date as well, screw the Nov rush.

It's a more portable Wii U, I guess, but I like being able to play the tablet in bed, so.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

these smiling mellenials are all living unrealistic lifestyles for today's economy unless they're trust fund babies also xD

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I want Blizzard to put Overwatch on the Switch.

Also, that noise the logo makes is fantastic.

Vessel28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder how many times we will hear people like Reggie say make the switch to Nintendo.

Avatar image for deactivated-5909e94ba2838
    deactivated-5909e94ba2838

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This instantly becomes my go-to console for any S/JRPGS, puzzle games, local multiplayer games, any 2D/top down indie game or visual novel.

It perfectly compliments ownership of a gaming PC or dedicated games console.

dza360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

console launch in March. Strange times man.

azuresama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If this thing gets Persona 5 I am double sold. Get on it Atlus.

RickRockmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@echoforge: With more and more people buying games digitally, I'd imagine it's a whole lot more appealing to put a cartridge reader on your console than a big damn blu-ray drive. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point in the next few years some disc sales vs. console sales graph hits a certain point and Sony/Microsoft kick themselves for not doing the same thing.

triumvir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

This looks OK. But what's really exciting is the possibility that console and handheld development at Nintendo will be unified (considering that a lot - if not most - of the exciting stuff they've done over the past few years has been on 3DS).

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is super neat and forward thinking and has my interest peaked but its the worst name I've ever heard of. You could've called it the Nintendo Dirt and that has better appeal.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam: ??? I'm not angry about it - just...puzzled at the concept and demand for something like this. This is perhaps a more concise way of saying what I'm thinking:

@geirr said:

These might be the least relatable people I've seen so far in a console add - that said, the console looks cool and I look forward to seeing more of it.

i was quoting eminent scholar Drew Scanlon for funsies is all. :)

DurMan667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I sure hope that @jeff noticed that HAMSTER is supporting this thing.

No Caption Provided
    Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kinda wish it was actually called the NX.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jakelshark said:

I don't know why people are already concerned about battery life. Nintendo has a killer track record with battery life

The Wii U gamepad and original 3DS both have pretty notoriously poor battery life.

wireless seems to kill it with 3ds. turn it off and sleep time is fairly close to ps vita levels (not THAT crazy good though). guess all that spot passin' takes its toll.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is super neat and forward thinking and has my interest peaked but its the worst name I've ever heard of. You could've called it the Nintendo Dirt and that has better appeal.

nintendo switch is probably the most concise name and way to demonstrate its central feature. may not be catchy/cool sounding but i like it.

Alexandrite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

so if the launch or near launch lineup is New 3d Mario, New Mario Kart, New Zelda, NBA 2K17, New Splatoon, and Skyrim Remastered... would this be the greatest console launch since the Dreamcast? Ever?

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it is cartridge based, does that mean the Switch could be modded relatively easy?

sweetz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks decent, but I guess Nintendo is done with backwards compatibility then?

I've been wanting a Wii U pretty much just to play Zelda games (haven't played once since Ocarina of Time despite loving that style of game) and Bayonetta. $300 was way to much for that and I was waiting to see if the NX would be backwards compatible. I'm hoping the Wii U will be cleared out at $150, but that's probably a long shot; given Nintendo's resistance to lowering the price thus far, I guess we'll be lucky to see even $250.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@assirra said:

I have to ask but why you think it is competing for anything?

Nintendo has not been competing with Sony and Microsoft for almost a decade when they started doing their own thing and went completely off the rails with the WII. They don't need to since they will forever have their first party IP's both MS and Sony would kill for. Can you imagine a Pokemon game on this thing? Once initially designed for consoles yet being able to carry it along.

Comparing a handheld and a tablet is silly since they are 2 separate devices with different audiences and goals.

Oh and i know a certain market where this will hit like a bomb. Japan. Handhelds over there are numerous times bigger then consoles. You have actually people coming together and playing with their 3ds or back when there was a Monster Hunter event and a huge portion of the waiting row was actually playing on their handheld.

This notion that Nintendo doesn't need to compete is very naive, if that was the case they wouldn't have to make such a drastic change would they? just keep doing whatever it was they're doing with the wii/wiiu and everything would be fine for them.

if they want to survive they need third-party support, if they want third-party support they need to compete, period.

Also if they were solely dependent on their first party stuff and didn't care for anything else they wouldn't have shown third-party stuff in this trailer (one of which a 5 year old game...), and Japan is fine and all, but if compared to the western market potential it's just a speck really, Nintendo as a company cannot depend on Japan alone for survival.

phrozenone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm in.

Darkaileron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know I'll sound like a hater, but this is just a new Wii U gamepad.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@decko5: What have you seen that makes you so optimistic?

garrettross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really curious how many of those third parties are just putting out last-gen games with slight upgrades.

moregrammarplz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

I love these things. It's interesting to look at the one they did for the Wii U, about 3/4s of the developers on that one released two or three games on it and then abandoned the platform. Here's hoping that doesn't happen again.

phrozenone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

They always pledge support in the beginning then quickly drop out when things start going left.

ollieg_94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baconhound: TBF "just fucking go outside and play" would be a weird marketing strategy for a new video game system.

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This looks cool, and I hope they bring in higher grade hand held stuff. I would love to have a better looking Fire Emblem and Monster Hunter.

Also anyone born in 1982 to 2004, are millennials. Just in case some of my fellow 34 year old are using the term, without realizing.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not interested in the slightest. I hated the feel of the gamepad on the Wii-U and if I'm truly being honest with myself here I haven't been interested in a Nintendo first Party game since the Windwaker came out on the Gamecube.

I do hope it does well though as I think there is a market for something like this but I just don't see anything on there that I "need" to get yet.

Nagafen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It has no touch screen......... such fail.

Pabba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I have an important Giant Bomb editing style guide question! Why is "Is" capitalized in the title when "the" isn't?

On a more related topic, the Nintendo Switch seems fun and cool, but I'm not ready to see my cool blue Nintendo 3DS fade into the background. :/

citizenjp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

:O

Avatar image for dan_rob_campbell
    Dan_Rob_Campbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

The whole thing looks uber cool, but those detachable controllers look super light and small. I have large hands so...I don't know. I'll reserve judgement, and so should everyone else.

KushMarshall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man this is crazy! Looks pretty great. I'm curious on how high the frame rate will go on the Switch and what resolution it will have. Excited to see more details.

mattimus_prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243  Edited By mattimus_prime

No Caption Provided

That is obviously fake, Konami doesn't make games anymore.

Vaeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244  Edited By Vaeng

Ubisoft is going to make a game where you have to haul this thing onto actual rooftops to reveal parts of the map aren't they?

steveurkel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

so many hipsters in thaf trailer

takkun169

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah.

Those controllers look awful.

striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#247  Edited By striderno9

@drekly: It's for anyone. I understand it won't be as possible as the XB1 or PS4 but what else makes you feel like it won't compare to those consoles?

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I think the form factor is very clever. Be interesting to see what its packing in the power department.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@ungodly said:

This looks cool, and I hope they bring in higher grade hand held stuff. I would love to have a better looking Fire Emblem and Monster Hunter.

Also anyone born in 1982 to 2004, are millennials. Just in case some of my fellow 34 year old are using the term, without realizing.

Don't remind me. I have no desire to be counted in with that crowd. This is why I tell everyone I'm 36 (I'm 32). Anyone one younger can get off my lawn.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#250  Edited By Onemanarmyy

Looks like a smart move. I just don't know if the controller feels good. It looks so bulky and square. I could see the 'pro controller' pretty much ending up as a must buy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.