Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

Now that it has been fully revealed, will you buy it the first day?

• 98 results
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By NTM

Poll Now that it has been fully revealed, will you buy it the first day? (1047 votes)

Already preordered. 20%
    Yes. I'll try to at least! 7%
    Maybe... I don't know yet. 10%
    No. I'll get it at some point though. 35%
    No, and I don't plan on getting it. 28%

I know @clain4672 very recently made a poll/thread about preordering, but that was before we had the conference and really knew some stuff about it, so I wanted to pose the question if you have decided now based off of what you saw. As for me, I do plan on buying it first day only because Zelda comes out at launch, and I really want to play Breath of the Wild the first day it's out, but I don't really want to play it on the Wii U. Plus, Zelda is a good place to start since I would get it regardless at some point due to Mario and my brother would want it for Xenoblade 2. I don't preorder anything, so I can only hope that it's not sold out at the stores near me. My brother and I are going to pay for half, so it's not technically the full $299.99, but that still leaves Zelda. Other things like accessories I don't plan on getting on the first day.

Major new things we've learned to take into consideration now:

• It comes out on March 3rd, 2017.
    • The price of the console is $299.99 in North America and 29,980 yen in Japan, while in Europe, you'll have to check your local retailer.
    • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is a Switch launch title.
    • A handful of newly revealed games.
    • The battery life for the screen is up to six hours.

Those are the major revelatory aspects brought up, at least to me. Alright, so who else is going to try and get it the first day?

Edit - As someone brought up a couple of days ago, it's very true that my title is incorrect about it being 'fully revealed'. There's still some stuff we don't know, unfortunately, or is unclear.

• 
    fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teddie: Hm, your dollar must be...

*checks aud/nzd* (~1.05)

...nevermind, you guys are getting fucked hard.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want one because Zelda and mario look incredible but everything is too expensive and paying for online for a Nintendo system is bullshit. The lineup is also not good. I'm gonna wait but idk if I'll ever get one.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

Is it true there's no Miiverse? That was one of the most charming things about the Wii U. What are Nintendo doing?

Feel like they're making some real odd choices here. I don't want to have to use my phone to chat online all the damn time.

chobobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was planning on waiting for the price announcement before making a purchasing decision. I was hoping that Nintendo was going to shock us with a £199 price point which I would have bought day one, but at £279 with the accessory prices and games lineup, I think my days of buying consoles have come to and end and going PC only. I'll most likely by Zelda on Wii U which at least isn't a total bummer.

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mems1224: I don't know, the puppydog controller looks like it'll probably be about as good as the pro controller.

wrt paying for online play, I happen to understand that there are infrastructure costs and whatnot that users ought to pay to use, so some sort of model for passing on those costs doesn't strike me as wrong-minded at face value. I guess the service could be terrible, though, and maybe there just won't be enough games with solid online play to justify it for a while.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

Was about to buy it untill I peaked at the price. 350 eruo makes it too expensive for system with not many games. Maybe after price cut or if they make a bundle with some games.

Avatar image for james_ex_machina
    James_ex_machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm tempted to preorder/buy one and flip on eBay. If the way Nintendo is pushing out NES classics is any sign this might be worth the effort.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

I'll buy one when Splatoon comes out.

leogs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

No, I'll wait a price drop and more games. But last time I had the money to buy a Wii U and decided, inside the store, to buy a PS3 instead. So I'll probably just buy a PS4 when I finally decide to get a Switch.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pre-ordered along with Zelda.

I don't think the price is all that bad, it's still a home console I'm not sure why everyone was thinking they'd go for portable prices.

gwenners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I already own a WiiU so the primary motivation for me to get a Switch (Zelda) is moot. Could not really care less about the rest of the stuff they showed other than SMT5 which has got to be like 3 years away at the earliest.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

400 bucks is too much pay before seeing how their game library shakes out.

I'll see where it is in a year or so.

applegong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#64  Edited By applegong

It will be nice if they include Zelda with the console and an extra set of Joy Cons (or Pro controller). It is what they did for one of their most successful products, the SNES, launching it at $199 with one of the greatest games ever made (Super Mario World) and an extra controller. Then even if it cost $50 extra than the MSRP right now, the perceived value would be acceptable to a lot more.

Picky_Bugger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will wait for Mario.

neojb1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By neojb1989

The Zelda and Mario games look spectacular and I'm excited at the idea of a Monster Hunter being on an actual true blue modern console. I'll buy it because it ain't that much of a hit to my wallet and it's the only place to play Nintendo's bangers. I'm real curious about what From Software is developing for it (since that was one of those companies on that image of 3rd party devs that was shown) , and even if it's just Dark Souls 1 or something, that'll be fun to play on the go.

Really Nintendo just has to get into the habit of releasing so many more games though, because no one is coming to their console for 3rd party games. Or lean heavy on Indie games. Regardless, it's where you go to play Nintendo games and those are great so I'm down.

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

Just preordered the system and Zelda since I'm happy with what they have at the moment. However, there are 3 major things they need to do to keep this system strong.

1. Go heavy on Indie games! It a step up from the cross-buy system of Sony's PS4 to Vita system since it now on one system and this is a chance for Nintendo to get it right with smaller developers.

2. Go crazy but not solely on the Joy-cons motions.

3. Get online right.

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

I love the hardware. It's exactly the system I want. But I won't be buying one unless it's significantly cheaper and has more games - and a greater variety of them. It's got a very shallow lineup announced, and if you're not into super-Japanese games (which I'm not) it's even worse.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#69  Edited By BeachThunder

March 3 will be a sad day. I will sorely miss dedicated Nintendo handhelds :(

Rodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#70  Edited By Rodin

Honestly i'm pretty disappointed with whats coming at launch and how expensive everything is in Australia, but still i'm going to get this day one. Zelda is my most anticipated game of this year and i'm going on holiday the next day so its also kinda the perfect time for it to come out for me, what with having limited access to tvs for a few weeks.

And I suppose there are games coming out down the line to that i know ill want to play, so why not pre-order the dumb neon console.

barrettalong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So the switch is launching at $399.99 in Canada. With an extra set of JoyCons at $99.99 and games like 1-2 Switch (which is a mini game collection) are $65.99. Zelda is going for $79.99.

In comparison a brand new PS4 Slim is $349.99 with Uncharted 4 and a 500GB HD. I don't see how the Switch will be able to compete at that price. Especially if the thing wont play your big third parties like Call of Duties/Battlefields/Elder Scrolls...

Well at least you can make a jerking off motion in the guise of milking an invisible cow.

jarshdelaney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm a little worried about the lack of software right out of the gate, but I went ahead and locked in a pre-order on Amazon since it looks like they're pulling another NES Classic situation.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

The pricing in Finland was just confirmed. 379 euros (400 dollars). It looks more and more likely that I'll give this one a pass.

TheHanna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I will get this one eventually. I lost faith in Nintendo when they launched the WiiU, but now I actually want a WiiU, almost exclusively for Mario Maker. I'm not a huge Zelda fan, so that isn't a huge selling point for me. New Mario looks interesting, but I'll wait for reviews. I'll probably get this in a year or so once there are a few more games I'm interested in. New Bomberman looks cool, though!

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted no, but I want to change my vote to maybe, because you never know. This thing might just take off and be the next SNES or PS2. If it somehow accrues a library comparable to either of those, then I'm in! The first year's not looking hopeful.

IIGrayFoxII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe someone already pointed this out, but the conference again points to another Nintendo system similar to its predecessors - a year of a few Nintendo exclusives and not much else. With such a thin 2017 lineup, it is very hard to convince most people who are not die-hard Nintendo fans to jump in right away.

Personally I was hoping with this system being both a 3DS and Wii U successor we would be getting a lineup similar to both of their yearly lineups combined. As of right now I would buy it for Zelda and Mario. That is not enough to buy one out of the gate (even if I think this is the most exciting Zelda released since Wind Waker).

I could get a PS4 Pro with a game for around the same price as a Switch + Pro Controller + Zelda and I still have the PS exclusives that have already released and will be released this year to look forward to.

FloppySnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've pre-ordered, but no idea if I'll put money into it. Thanks Amazon.

Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#78  Edited By Nardak

For full disclosure I have to admit first that I havent had a single Nintendo console in my life. I have been mostly a PC gamer through my whole life and have had ps and xbox consoles so I could play the exclusives coming out for those specific consoles.

Anyway there are a few things that puzzle me about Nintendo Switch:

1) The price (Switch costs about 380 euros where i live which is roughly 406 dollars)
    2) Not a single game is included in the price of that package as even the minigame collection costs about 50 dollars
    3) In order to play online I need a subscription which would be tolerable if that service would include more than one 20 year old game per month (for which you lose the access to after the month ends?)
    4) In order to speak with other players one needs to use a subscription based voice app through a mobile phone or a tablet?
    5) All the accessories are priced really high (70 to 80 dollars for controllers?)

When you combine all of those prices together it will be a pretty expensive package even if you decide not to buy the extra controllers or decide not to use the subscription service. It just smacks of greed. Especially considering how sparse the launch schedule of games seems to be for Switch for the current year.

dafdiego777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll take a look in the fall once Zelda (if the Wii U version is bad), Spla2oon, and Odyssey are out. I think there's too many open questions right now with regards to network support, 2018 games etc.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Nope, and I have no plans to as it stands. As much as I like Mario and Zelda and want an excuse to play one of those games for the first time since the GameCube, I can't justify dropping $300+ dollars on a system just for those games. And sure, there will be "more games," but Nintendo's recent track record hasn't convinced me they're going to be worth getting. I don't want some glorified motion-control tech demo like they were showing off in that presentation, and any games that come from third parties seem to be old (Skyrim) or are likely to be substantially inferior to the versions on other consoles.

They could have gotten my interest with a good catalogue of old games, but Nintendo seems to have cocked that up too. All they needed to do, all they needed to do was be roughly on par with XBONE and PS4. Release 3-5 old games a month that you could use for the duration of you subscription, but they couldn't even manage that. I'm not paying whatever a month merely for the option to purchase a game at the end of that time.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still a sucker for first party Nintendo games. Not so much the systems anymore though. But I will eventually get it when more games are released. So most likely early 2018 I will get it.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

This system is insane. On one hand, everything I've wanted since the Game Boy lineup became obsolete, but everything they kept me away from the DS, too.

The hardware looks terrific. The screen, the controllers, the potential extensibility... ruined by another terrible online service and odd compromises.

I was so sure I was going to preorder one before the announcement, and now I'm firmly in the wait-and-see camp. After all, I think Nintendo will bring more to the table when it fails to meet initial expectations.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ca104190dca
    deactivated-58ca104190dca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"The battery life for the screen is up to six hours", except that it's 3 hours if you're going to play a game like Zelda.

Nintendo's biggest draw is it's software, I'm hoping the switch goes the way of the wiiu & Nintendo focuses on bringing their games to other consoles & PC.

bloodlines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It's 460 dollars here (3899 Nok) and that's a lot for just Zelda and maybe Splatoon. So maybe in a year or two?

SilverGlyph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would love to, but right now I gotta focus on spending responsibly. I already have a PS4 so it's not sensible for me to get a new console right now. But someday!

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

It's rather expensive in Canada, but yes, that's the plan. I've never regretted a console purchase in my life, just the way my brain is wired I think, so pretty low risk here. Very excited for Zelda definitely, but it was the Mario concept that really sold me.

tjdmhem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i'll get it at some point.

WeyounNumber6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By WeyounNumber6

already pre-ordered, with Zelda.

Mainwaring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now that the games are showing up as £50-60, no way. I'll just get Zelda on Wii U and wait for price drops.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I bought a Wii U day one and I ended up only buying 4 games for it and playing the console for like a total of 20 hours. It's basically my HD Zelda machine. So no, I probably won't be getting the switch.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

Its closer to 500 dollars here.. HA!

Dead or arrival. Nintendo is just out of touch with Europe, I doubt this thing will do any well here.

htc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By htc

@atwa: £279 / €299 is like $330 max.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By glots

I'm not planning on buying this thing, but I still tried to gather up the cheapest "bundle" for funsies...

The Switch itself, with a 128gb SD-card and a Pro Controller...and obviously Zelda to have something to play. Ended up with around 570 euros, which is...uh, a bit much. Even just the Switch and Zelda is over 400€, so mnah.

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. Don't see me getting one before my last day.

SnowyPliskin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cant believe there are no game bundles. wtf.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll get BotW for Wii U so there's really zero reason to get a Switch until holiday, at the very earliest.

Xaopling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I now know, and I have pre-ordered.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8907c9ada33
    deactivated-5f8907c9ada33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

If it weren't for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, I would have waited. Even though I have a Wii U and could have picked up that version, I play games on the go more than I do at home. It's kind of hard to pass up the chance to play Breath of the Wild on the go.

That said, it's kind of crazy how much money I've put down on the Nintendo Switch. So far, ~$750 CAD. The Canadian dollar makes everything worse, unfortunately.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.