Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

NX (Nintendo Switch) Reveal Trailer

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Aegon

---Update 3, WE HAVE ARRIVED---

According to the Japanese Nintendo twitter account, the video will be 3 minutes long.

---Original Post---

So it seems like those of us who are keeping tabs on the various rumors milling about are constantly being kept on the edge of our seats.

When will the NX be revealed? Will it be before the investor's meeting on the 26th? Will it be a week before its release in March? Will it release in March? WHAT WILL IT BEEEEEeee...

This together with the fact that the most prominent NX rumor monger on twitter has staked her reputation on "big news" happening this week, has prompted me to open this thread up.

Here's Emily's tweet.

She seems very sure of herself.

I'll be waiting with bated breath.

--Update--

Wall Street Journal guy adding fuel to the fire.

---Update 2, Here it comes...---

Eurogamer

Polygon

GameXplain jumping in as well to say that they've confirmed with their sources that the NX "news" is tomorrow. - link to video

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm dying to find out what this thing is (And immediately pre-order it. Because I'm a sucker for anything Nintendo.), but there's only two more days left in the week. I'd be floored if anything came out by the end of the day Friday.

dafdiego777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Emily Rodgers always seems to be sure of herself. If it comes, it comes. But I'd expect at least a weeks announcement for the reveal.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Who is Emily and what's the point of adding "fuck my critics?"

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, a Wall Street Journal guy who reported NX stuff for them is now entering the game with this tweet:

Whatsoever could he be hinting?

pkmnfrk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316 said:

Something something sjws

@aegon said:

When will the NX be revealed? Will it be before the investor's meeting on the 26th? Will it be a week before its release in March? Will it release in March? WHAT WILL IT BEEEEEeee...

The Nintendo NX is proud to be the first console in history to be announced after it has been released to retailers!

(fake edit: Half way through typing that joke, I remembered the PS4 slim. Damn ninjas...)

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I do not know who Emily Rogers is; but, I figure that if you make enough predictions, sooner or later a few come true.

If there's an announcement this week that would be neat. If not, the world keeps on spinning! Personally I don't care when the system releases... I'm excited once some great system-selling games are released.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ooookay, a bunch of sources are coming in. I'll update the first post.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By paulmako

I was trying to come up with a response but instead started wondering why I immediately pushed back against that Emily Rogers tweet. It immediately put me off and I don't know why. I don't know who she is. I vaguely remember her being referenced in some previous Nintendo thread.

I guess it's because I've only seen her referenced as a source for rumours, and I seem to remember some bits being pretty vague. I associate it with click bait websites. And I don't like those being used as sources/confirmation.

Anyway, don't Nintendo normally say in advance when they are going to have Directs? I expect it will be something like 'Please join us 15:00 Eastern for a special presentation'.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#11 FinalDasa  Moderator

I'm seeing rumors it's tomorrow, and rumors tomorrow will be the announcement of the announcement, which would be next week.

Either way I'm very ready for this to end.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I stand corrected! Woo! It's a whole hour before the Red Dead Redemption 2 trailer. That's going to be a packed two hours of hype!

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

Oh baby!

Avatar image for tavistavistavis
    tavistavistavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hype!

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm surprisingly excited to see what this thing is. I hope it's worth replacing the 3DS with, I skipped the Wii U so this could likely be the first console I buy in a long time.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Loading Video...

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Maaaan, I really hope they knock it out of the park with this reveal to compensate for how much of a non-entity Nintendo has been this year.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm so excited!

Why am I so excited?

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm so excited!

Why am I so excited?

Because hopefully it means all of Nintendo's game production efforts will be mainly focused onto one spot which will result in better experiences? I don't know. I think there were some rumors that we might be in for a bad surprise when it comes to the portable nature of the NX. Not long now until some of this is cleared up (I think).

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316 said:

I have no idea about either of those things.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon said:
    @oldenglishc said:

I'm so excited!

Why am I so excited?

Because hopefully it means all of Nintendo's game production efforts will be mainly focused onto one spot which will result in better experiences? I don't know. I think there were some rumors that we might be in for a bad surprise when it comes to the portable nature of the NX. Not long now until some of this is cleared up (I think).

That's the dream, I guess. Fire Emblem, Dragon Quest, SMT, and all the other franchises that have been relegated to the DS/3DS all back on the big screen and in HD. I really hope they don't mess this up with the whole "limited mobile component" thing the rumors have been talking about.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@acidpops91: I thought Emily Rogers got a lot of hate because she posts a lot of unsubstantiated rumors, many of which turn out to be flat out wrong. Then goes back after the fact and just deletes her blogs or makes her Twitter private.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

So much hype!!!!!!

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So it's past 10... where's the trailer?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@belegorm said:

So it's past 10... where's the trailer?

1000 EST...that's in eleven and a half hours.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's an hour before the Red Dead trailer. Maaaybe....

braves01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmmm...Should I spend some PTO to watch this and read forums all day afterwards? I'm leaning yes

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

FUCK ME

Johnnboy2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Johnnboy2000

I hope they do a live Stream for this and Red Dead trailer lol

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@braves01: I guess it's only a three minute long trailer tomorrow.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

about damn time. i want to cradle one of these in a comfortable position on my not so comfortable bed while playing monster hunter. Comfortably.

Johnnboy2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This and the Red Dead trailer! Tomorrow will be better then this years E3. #NX #RedDead

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By probablytuna

Obviously Nintendo is showing NX an hour early so that Rockstar can reveal RDR2 running on NX hardware and revealing the logo alongside PS4 and Xbone

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

also it will probably have a super dumb name that ill get used to after 5 minutes.

jaminiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is gonna be the longest 9 hours and 37 minutes of my life!!

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#41  Edited By TheHT

Preview Trailer.

Johnnboy2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I'm going to bet that they don't show the console and most of this will be just hype building to a date for the full reveal (prob a Nintendo direct next week).

Edit: that said, I'm happy this is finally happening. I was out after the Wii, but if this is a combined console/handheld hybrid, I'm there day 1 (extra points if it's backwards compatibile so I can play Tokyo Mirage Sessions).

Fitzgerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still going with my crazy hail-mary prediction from this thread over a year ago...

Big, Crazy Prediction: A Motorcycle Helmet

My prediction is that the NX will be a motorcycle helmet in 2017. Here's what I'm basing my prediction on:

• Nintendo's hardware R&D is actually crazy good at coming up with solutions that other companies previously thought impossible. For example, the 3DS came out in an era where every single 3d-display technology required either passive or battery-powered glasses to be worn. The 3D in the 3DS is actually something of a marvel in that no glasses are required. While the idea behind the WiiU tablet is not new—just a tablet and a gamecube controller mashed together—the screen-mirroring content has really, really low latency and good compression.
    • Like the 3DS versus 3d-TVs/3d cinema-fad, or the WiiU vs tablet fad, Nintendo likes coming out with their own take on things that are in-vogue for the time. Right now that trend is VR.
    • Nintendo has hinted that their next console may not be what we might expect. I am interpreting this that it's not necessarily a home console.
    • Nintendo really likes selling 3DS's with special themes.
    • Nintendo recently shut down the Nintendo Club service, and suggested that something else in it's place would return.
    • Nintendo recently entered a partnership with Japanese cellphone service provider, DeNA.

So, I'm going to throw a hail-mary and claim that the NX will be a wearable VR helmet, roughly the size and form factor of a motorcycle helmet. Here's the features I'm imagining:

• It is only 1 SKU, and succeeds both the 3DS and WiiU. It comes with 1 helmet, 1 HDMI dongle for streaming content to the TV, 1 charge base, and 1 controller.
    • The Helmet has a visor with two 960x1080 screens for a 1920x1080 field of view VR experience for games like a Metroid Prime reboot, or a diorama-version of Paper Mario.
    • The Visor can either be flipped open, or (and this part is probably the craziest part) the visor is semi-transparent, and can draw a HUD when in the "Home" mode. This HUD mode can also draw AR-like things in the real-world, similar to Microsoft's Hololens but with some utility...
    • ...because the helmet will have a 3G or 4G internet connection, and some basic apps like Maps or Email, along with an eShop.
    • The controller will have a 1:1 motion sense capability and be spacially-aware of its distance from the helmet.
    • Players that do not want to play their game with the helmet on can plug in their paired HDMI dongle, similar in form-factor to a Chromecast. This will allow them to play some games on their TV.
    • After the initial release period, there will be other models themed after other nintendo properties. For example, a Samus-style helmet, or perhaps a helment that looks like Mr. Saturn. In this way, the helmets will make a fashion statement.
    • The unit would normally retail for $600, but because a subscription to the newly revamped Nintendo 4G service will be required, it will only cost $200 plus a monthly fee for 2 years. The monthly service will be required to use the system, but after 2 years you will not be charged an early-termination fee.

A motorcycle helmet-sized form factor seems pretty big, but I think it will need to be that big for a couple reasons:

• Battery life; the entire inside collar region of the helmet will be batteries. This will also cause another problem which is...
    • Heat. A series of small fans around the bottom collar will also vent out heat.
    • GPU/CPU/RAM hardware will have to be considerable to drive 1920x1080 at the refresh-rate required for the user to have a comfortable experience. So accordingly, the helmet will have to be large enough to accommodate this.
    • Eventually, later models will be either slimmer or made of less material (like only cover the scalp and brow region).

It will be called the Nintendo Go. And everyone will want one.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for posting. I'm very curious about what they are designing for this.....thing.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

My friend texted me the news and I don't know if I'm ready to live in a post-NX info world. Feels like we've been waiting a decade.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All aboard the hype train.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I'm pretty sure whatever they show will be disappointing because it's Nintendo but hopefully they prove me wrong!

They would have to try REALLLY hard to make me care about a Nintendo console again.

Dayve86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If this really is a proper console/portable hybrid I'm excited as hell as that would fit perfectly in my life right now. Add in getting all of Nintendo's first party output on that one device and this thing would be my dream system. Just please let there be a 2D Metroid.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.