Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

NX (Nintendo Switch) Reveal Trailer

avenlaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

While I do like the concept, man was it weird to see a major new console release being markedet with a five year old third party game at it's core.

It got a remaster that's out in just a few days. People went crazy when Skyrim was anounced for PS4 and Xbox 1. Now they do the same with with Nintendo and everyone hates the idea of a 5 year old game. Should look at it this way, did you ever think you would have been able play a game like Skyrim on a portable console?

Not trying to hate on you. Many people have complained about it, but I think they are missing the point showing Skyrim. Even if you wouldnt actually use it outdoors, it'll be really nice to play while going to the bathroom! I'm sure that's where 80% of the portable play will be at...

Perram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#202  Edited By Perram

@ripelivejam said:

also heres hoping for some hot ass monhun onnit

AMEN!

Edit: I know preorder = bad anymore, but I wont be able to resist this time. Must get this thing ASAP. Super impressed.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

On some level this is all superfluous to me since I play all my games from my bed (3DS games, Wii U games, PC games) so the switch functionality just allows me the choice of looking up at my TV/Monitor or down at a controller. Nevertheless, the WiiU is currently my main multiplayer machine, so I'm happy Nintendo is continuing to keep local multiplayer on the forefront.

I'll be interested in which games automatically make the jump as ports, and what the schedule is for new releases. I'm also interested how quickly they drop the 3DS and WiiU in favour of this (on some level they already dropped the ball a lot on the WiiU this year despite Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Pokken Tournament including some of my most fun this year). It will be interesting to see if 2017 sees a Pokemon Sun and Moon port on to the Switch (Pokemon Star). A month ago, the Pokémon CEO said they they will produce games on the NX but gave no details (i.e. it could be spin-offs) but as late as last year they were sticking to Pokémon will never be a console game. Let's not forget how entrenched the Pokemon series no is in the Dual Screen technology now, I wonder how easily and quickly they can/will transfer all of their tech and UI onto a tablet-like device.

I guess one problem the Switch has from a development perspective is the games have to be worth playing as a big TV game and an anywhere game. I wonder how smaller titles would fit into also being thrust into a big screen experience as well.

I find it especially interesting that they never show the option to play with the screen in your hand, and the game also running on the TV. If the main components are within the controller/screen and the dock supplements them, then that does make sense, but it also limits development to basically take away some of the functionality the WiiU has. E.g. In their current forms, both Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Xenoblade Chronicles X (the two biggest JRPG's on the WiiU) wouldn't technically work as intended on the Switch. It's very interesting that they have moved from allowing games on the WiiU to not directly support off-TV play, to implying that on the Switch, no game can require the use of the screen and the TV at the same time.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204  Edited By mellotronrules

@monkeyking1969 said:
    Also, did you notice, EVERY use case seemed to be a single young urban professional.

yeah, that detail is SUPERinteresting to me. it seems very revealing with regard to their marketing strategy.

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenlaya said:
    @bojackhorseman said:

While I do like the concept, man was it weird to see a major new console release being markedet with a five year old third party game at it's core.

It got a remaster that's out in just a few days. People went crazy when Skyrim was anounced for PS4 and Xbox 1. Now they do the same with with Nintendo and everyone hates the idea of a 5 year old game. Should look at it this way, did you ever think you would have been able play a game like Skyrim on a portable console?

Not trying to hate on you. Many people have complained about it, but I think they are missing the point showing Skyrim. Even if you wouldnt actually use it outdoors, it'll be really nice to play while going to the bathroom! I'm sure that's where 80% of the portable play will be at...

Let's put it this way: How weird would it be if the PS4 or Xbox One was unveiled with clips of Arkham City Remastered or something like that? And really, who at this point hasn't played Skyrim, and would wait till March to get the weakest version of the remaster? Also, that version will not have mod support. Mark my words.

Perram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dixavd said:

I find it especially interesting that they never show the option to play with the screen in your hand, and the game also running on the TV. If the main components are within the controller/screen and the dock supplements them, then that does make sense, but it also limits development to basically take away some of the functionality the WiiU has. E.g. In their current forms, both Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Xenoblade Chronicles X (the two biggest JRPG's on the WiiU) wouldn't technically work as intended on the Switch. It's very interesting that they have moved from allowing games on the WiiU to not directly support off-TV play, to implying that on the Switch, no game can require the use of the screen and the TV at the same time.

Its also the feature that gets used least, and most gimmicky in third party games. By only having a single screen again it will make porting games to it a lot easier and grow the library.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@perram: It's probably a smart choice from a feature-use perspective, but it is a rare case where they are actively removing a possible feature (and technically limiting which games from WiiU can port over) to be more stream-lined. Still, I actually hate the games on Wii U that require me to have a TV plugged in, so I'm happy with this change.

Vash108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

$300 max is my guess. Not sure if I can see it going for $400+ to compete with Xbox or PS.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenlaya said:
    @bojackhorseman said:

i literally play every game inside the toilet.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@avenlaya said:

... People went crazy when Skyrim was announced for PS4 and Xbox 1. Now they do the same with with Nintendo and everyone hates the idea of a 5 year old game.

@bojackhorseman said:

No Caption Provided

Skyrim Remastered isn't there to sell the PS4 or XBO consoles. TES is/will be treated as one of two dozen games that 3rd parties will have at the same time. But, for Nintendo's "Switch Debut" it does appear as a very weak statement. People being interested in getting a better Skyrim, a game that they already played; but now for a system they have now is not the same as touting that game as a major release.

It is like someone saying, "I like cake," and then someone else sayin, "My birthday will be THE BEST...WE HAVE CAKE!!!!"

Big whoop? I like cake, but all birthdays have cake... Timmy's birthday has a clown/cowboy who made us all balloon swords and terrydactyl hats! Nintendo can't tout cake when people expect balloon tridactyl hats.

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#212  Edited By AcidBrandon18

I'm just happy they seem to be moving away from Wiimotes and the sensor bar. Traditional controllers make me happy.

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove: Seriously, all the millennials I know are poor as shit. Myself included.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

@mellotronrules said:
    @monkeyking1969 said:
    Also, did you notice, EVERY use case seemed to be a single young urban professional.

yeah, that detail is SUPERinteresting to me. it seems very revealing with regard to their marketing strategy.

Lol, they think millennials have money.

It's all rooftop parties and meticulous apartment decorations over here.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#215  Edited By alistercat

What the hell is going on with this dpad? It's so tiny. With my fat thumbs I won't be able to use that. Also, the C buttons from the N64 are back!

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216  Edited By Zithe

@alistercat:Based on the positioning, it looks like the C-buttons are more like the D-pad. Kind of like Sony's segmented one.

That tiny plus sign might be a single button that unlocks the controller so you can slide it out. Not sure.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The more I look at the controller the more terrible it looks. Yikes.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

For all those cynical souls, think of it like this:

Skyrim on the bus, man!

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#220 chaser324  Moderator

@alistercat: They're +/- buttons. You can see them at the top of the standalone controller.

No Caption Provided

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@budwyzer said:

@whitegreyblack: Nostradamus would like a word.

Would he say "make enough predictions, a few of them are bound to come true"?

;-)

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It kind of looks like the old DS prototypes.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

@chaser324: Confirmation is out now that it won't play Wii U or 3DS games, so I'll take that to mean there isn't a touch screen either. Seems like a missed opportunity to move their handheld and console markets into one central thing. Oh well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.