Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

Okay, so what percentage of people bought this thing / will buy / won't buy?

• 71 results
    uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Okay, so what percentage of people bought this thing / will buy / won't buy? (664 votes)

I bought a Switch / Will definitely buy in next couple months when I have the money, etc. 35%
    I didn't buy a Switch but was considering it (skimpy launch lineup, hardware issues). Will probably buy it eventually 31%
    I was never in danger of buying a Switch and probably won't (or at least until there is a killer catalog of games) 33%

Everyone loves a good poll, right? I was wondering what percentage of people (on the forums anyway) bought a Switch because it always seems like everyone has the new shiny. Of course those people are talking about it because they have a new thing they are excited about and everyone without it has nothing to say. Where do you fall?

• 
    isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#1  Edited By isomeri

I was excited to get a Switch and had one pre-ordered. However, the high price of the console and peripherals combined with a slim launch-window lineup outside of Zelda swayed me to wait.

Once Nintendo have fixed some of the hardware issues, decreased the price to under 300 € and have added a few more games to the catalogue I definitely see myself buying one.

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Axersia

Yup, I got one. Literally the first time I've gotten a system at launch since the original DS. But hey, I needed something to play Zelda on, and since you can't get new Wii U's anymore, I figured I might as well go with the system that's actually gonna have new games on it.

Now here's hoping they port stuff like Xenoblade X and Bayonetta 2 over at some point, otherwise I'm left having to buy a disgusting grimy Wii U anyway.

zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Since I already have a wii u, I didn't have a single good reason to buy one at this point. The hardware looks nifty, so I definetly might once more games I'm interested in come out.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By BabyChooChoo

I'm waiting for the New 3DSwitch Lite XL U Motion Plus...i.e. a hardware revision. Or, I'll just pick one up when it finally gets an exclusive I'm dying to play. I'm excited for it. It seems cool. However, with so many games coming out, it's just not worth it for me to drop that money on a new console for the purpose of maybe playing two games when I can spend it on a bunch of games on other platforms.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only launch game I was interested in was Zelda and I already had a WiiU for that. I can see myself getting one when Mario comes out though.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Plenty enough games on PS4 for me to enjoy at the moment. Probably helps that I also don't have any nostalgia for Zelda...oh and the price going over 500€ if I also bought Zelda and Pro Controller, so no thanks.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm waiting for the next round of games to come out probably post E3. I'm keen to see what the 3rd party devs have to offer.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

Been thinking about getting one when they're back in stock at some point. My hope is with the Switch sort of replacing both the 3DS and Wii U that Nintendo will actually back up the console with much more software than the Wii U ended up having. Would love to see a new Animal Crossing and Monster Hunter on the Switch.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never owned a nintendo console before (and I don't care about Zelda), so I'm sure not gonna start with the switch. Thinking really hard right now whether I should be on the lookout for a cheap 3ds to play persona q though.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Barrock

When the Zelda reviews hit, I took notice and decided to see if I could get one on launch day. I didn't know how the Wii U version would be, and have owned all of Nintendo's consoles since the N64, so I said what the hell. No regrets.

Also, I just noticed someone on Amazon has 3 available for 10% off MSRP which seems weird, but they have decent reviews.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am waiting for "worm-light version".

Crysack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Almost $600 for a Switch + 1 game is a little tough to swallow. I'll pass for the time being.

WillyOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By WillyOD

Definitely waiting for the second revision + selection of more than one interesting game. I was hoping Nintendo would somehow get it right this time, but it doesn't feel like it all. Christmas then? But who knows with Scorpio... for some reason I find it much more interesting even though I already have a powerful enough PC. For years I've felt like I needed a handheld in my life, so I might just pick up DS or Vita instead.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Got it, Zelda and the pro controller.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

waiting for the new xenoblade, then i'll get one.

bill_mcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Going to buy one eventually, just don't need it right now.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

The only reason I got a Wii U was for Bayonetta and Tokyo Mirage Sessions. I usually don't get Nintendo consoles because the catalogue is not what I want. So I prooobably won't get the Switch. Though I have generally liked their handheld stuff a lot better, so maybe the combination will eventually pan out into something I want? The 3DS was pretty great after all.

Picky_Bugger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First console I've had since the PS2, first one I've ever bought with my own money. As a handheld home gaming system I'm very happy, hopefully it'll do better than the Wii U.

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. Will finally be able to use my WiiU for something other than Mario Kart 8.

Lazyimperial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Lazyimperial

Didn't buy one and not planning on ever buying one. The WiiU left a horrible taste in my mouth. It had no third party support and Nintendo effectively dropped the ball on first party support for the last two years of its four-ish year lifespan. Nothing says "quality purchase" better than watching Animal Crossing Party and Star Fox Zero masquerade as major titles, and Mario Maker was not my cup of nostalgic tea. User levels either consisted of "too easy but very pretty" stages or intentionally psychotic nightmare stages. No middle ground in sight.

I ended up getting 12 GameCube games by the end of its cycle, had 9 Wii games, and this console... four games, of which two were ports from the GameCube and Wii. I'm done. The Switch somehow has even less content than the WiiU, and that's saying something. I had assumed the lack of support for the WiiU was because Nintendo was busy making sure they'd have a nice, healthy pipeline for their new Switch baby. I had admittedly also assumed the same bloody thing for the WiiU when the Wii suffered through a game drought during its last years too, and apparently I was wrong both times!

I'd like to be proven wrong on my Switch pessimism, though. I'd love to see them turn things around. I went to a Walmart to look for the WiiU version of Breath of the Wild and Nintendo has one rack half-filled while Sony and Microsoft each have three brimming with games to buy. That half-filled Nintendo rack's offerings consisted of some 3DS games, a handful of Wii games (I was incredulous), a smattering of old WiiU games (most of them at full price despite being a few years old, Nintendo having never learned the economic concept of "consumer surplus"), and ONE Switch game. I thought it was very telling that there were 20 copies of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for the Switch just haphazardly stacked up on the bottom of the case, six up in the rack display itself, and zero copies of the WiiU version left. Wasn't surprised, though... none of my friends who sunk money for the WiiU are buying a Switch. They're as grumbly as I am and can't justify three hundred dollars for a console, 80 for a pro-controller, and all that to play one game and a port of Shovel Knight that they already own on Steam.

Man, rough stuff. Makes me frown typing it.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By WynnDuffy

I bought it and it's great. I have no controller issues at all even when I try and make them lose sync, my dock isn't bent (so doesn't touch the screen) and I've only had one instance of a game closing during Fast RMX.

I hope it's a home run for Nintendo because it's so liberating being able to play my games on or off the TV.

The battery life is good when not playing Zelda too, so I'm optimistic better ports or Switch built games will fare better. Fast RMX drains my battery much slower than Zelda for example.

@willyod said:

Definitely waiting for the second revision + selection of more than one interesting game. I was hoping Nintendo would somehow get it right this time, but it doesn't feel like it all.

I don't see how they didn't get it right, unless you're citing that video compilation on YouTube (which is cherry picked negativity only).

The OS should be more well rounded (no media apps, friends system is barebones) but aside from that it has been smooth sailing.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

I intended to buy one but they are still sold out here and now that I've been forced to buy Breath of the Wild for Wii U my desire to get a Switch is almost zero now.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The universal praise of Zelda has bumped me up from "never" to "maybe". A lot depends on Nintendo. The past two generations haven't exactly inspired confidence in their practices. I mean, the Wii and WiiU libraries were both pathetic - and the Wii was the third best selling console of all time! How do you screw that up so badly? And then they had the audacity to release the Wii2 (WiiU) and barely support it too.

My biggest hope is that since the Switch is a little less gimmicky than the Wiis and is running on fairly standard Tegra hardware, and maybe (big fat maybe) the eShop will be a little more consumer (and dev) friendly, they'll get some major third party support behind this thing and it'll take off. Not just sell consoles like the Wii, but actually have a library worth digging into. They have to have learned something from the WiiU flopping so badly, right?

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

For a few days after Zelda came out I was really hot on buying a switch. I still really, really wanna play Zelda but now I'm leaning towards getting a Wii U. It's cheaper and I'm not sure there is a switch game other than Zelda I'll want to play for awhile. Where as there's a handful of Wii U games I really wanna play

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought one. I never thought I would say this about a game again, but I think Zelda might be worth it all on its own. It has captivated me, in a way a game hasn't since...I can't really remember when. I feel like a junkie who is always looking for that next high that will be as good as the first one, and actually finally found it! At that point you don't really think about money or value, you just let yourself get swept away.

In general I like the system outside Zelda, but it has a lot of flaws that make me feel like I will have to eventually get a revision when they inevitably fix some of this stuff. I just hope I get enough use out of it in the meantime, since I know the high of Zelda will eventually end, and there's not a ton to keep the party going. For now.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not right now. Zelda sort of piqued my interest but even with that I just don't see it as a good value proposition. I'm not paying $300+ for the console plus another $60+ for a game, AND another 60+ for a pro controller AND whatever a memory stick costs.

Definitely waiting for the second revision + selection of more than one interesting game. I was hoping Nintendo would somehow get it right this time, but it doesn't feel like it all.

I don't see how they didn't get it right, unless you're citing that video compilation on YouTube (which is cherry picked negativity only).

The OS should be more well rounded (no media apps, friends system is barebones) but aside from that it has been smooth sailing.

Well, let's see:

• No pack-in game
    • A game catalog that consists of Zelda and a lot of Coming Soon (TM)
    • Paltry storage, necessitating buying memory sticks
    • No way to transfer/back up saves to an external device
    • Controllers for which some people have reported functionality issues
    • Potential dead pixel issues with the screen
    • Friend Codes rather than a sensible online friend system
    • A thus-far largely undefined online service
    • An inability to charge the system and have it on the stand at same time, unless you buy or make a stand

I'm glad you're enjoying the Switch, but there are plenty of potential problems to drive people away from the system.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By OurSin_360

Zelda looks cool, but everything else seems like a bad time. Did wiiU launch with a zelda or mario? I wonder how different the early reception of that would be if it did? I am interested to hear what the reception is when everyone is finished with zelda, as i can't help but think people are viewing this thing with rose tinted glasses atm.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: Wii U launched with a "new super mario" game, but that's not really the same thing as Breath of the Wild. I think that if Wii U had launched with Super Mario 3D World it would have been better received (though even that is not a TRUE new Mario the way Super Mario Odyssey looks to be.)

If Wii U had launched with something like Breath of the Wild it definitely would have changed perceptions.

Nintendo is hoping that by the time people are done with Zelda there's enough new stuff to suck them in. Will that happen? I am not sure. Not if they don't add more stuff to the upcoming lineup.

On the other hand there are reasons to like this thing beyond Zelda. The UI is clean and functional; a lot of people get a lot of mileage out of handheld mode, and it's just a neat piece of tech to hold and mess around with. I think if you're relying on Switch as your only video game machine you're likely to be frustrated, but as a complimentary console it does seem really nice. We'll have to see where it stands in a year.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I bought one. I was going to buy one eventually and I wanted to play the best version of Zelda, so I just got one now. I can totally see why you wouldn't want one though. It really is a Zelda box at the moment.

I'm curious about a hardware revision though. Several people mentioned they are waiting for one, but I don't think Nintendo has ever done a major revision of a home console. Wii motion plus was more of a controller upgrade, and I don't think any of the earlier systems changed. I guess this thing is sort of portable (it's gigantic with the joy cons attached), so maybe they will follow the Gameboy and DS path and eventually put out a revision.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like many, many other people I'm sure, I'd like to play Zelda but I'm not buying a console for one game. Maybe I can borrow a friend's Wii U when they're done.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Shadow

I just don't see the point with no game I'm interested in other than Zelda and I don't feel like I'm losing out playing it on the Wii U instead. That said, if the Switch had some sort of achievement/trophy system, I'd be all over it.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ripelivejam

@lawgamer: ms and sony have not had pack in games for at least the last two console launches, not sure why you are expecting it. charging port on the bottom is needed for the console's design but can be alleviated with a proper stand (that yes, should have been included). dead pixel reports seem anecdotal. you're going to expect those hardware issues with any release. blown way out of proportion it seems. wider reports of joycon sync isses are disconcerting. so far i haven't had an issue but i know that doesn't mean there isn't a real problem.

Teoball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's been a while since a Nintendo game interested me. The only games I really enjoyed on the Wii U was Bayonetta 2 and Tokyo Mirage Sessions. This new Zelda is not my kind of game either.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the thing really intrigues me- but i won't be buying until there are more must-play games and at least 1 hardware revision.

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

it seems to me like the proper criteria for if you buy a switch right now or wait or dont buy one is, "Do I want to buy a new system to play Zelda?"

That's an easy enough question for most people to ask themselves. I love Zelda but won't buy a new system to play it. none of the other games coming out over the course of the year look all that great to me and I could totally see Mario getting delayed, so Im waiting. There's enough out that is really awesome right now that is keeping me occupied.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By WynnDuffy

@lawgamer said:
    @wynnduffy said:

Well, let's see:

• No pack-in game
    • A game catalog that consists of Zelda and a lot of Coming Soon (TM)
    • Paltry storage, necessitating buying memory sticks
    • No way to transfer/back up saves to an external device
    • Controllers for which some people have reported functionality issues
    • Potential dead pixel issues with the screen
    • Friend Codes rather than a sensible online friend system
    • A thus-far largely undefined online service
    • An inability to charge the system and have it on the stand at same time, unless you buy or make a stand

I'm glad you're enjoying the Switch, but there are plenty of potential problems to drive people away from the system.

1) So it's OK for Microsoft and Sony to not release a pack-in game but for Nintendo it's a big deal?

2) Your mileage may vary. Mario Kart is out next month, I am having plenty of fun with Zelda, Shovel Knight, Fast RMX and Snipperclips. My PS4 was a Battlefield 4 machine for over two months.

3) This is no different to any other mobile device in the same price bracket, at least unlike Apple and some Android makers they've included MicroSD. If Sony and Microsoft were using flash storage you can bet your left butt cheek they wouldn't give you anymore than 32GB for $300. Hell the base model Xbox 360 E only has 4GB...

4) This would be desirable.

5) It's still unknown what is the exact problem with that, perhaps some getting defective controllers or something worse Nintendo need to address. Luckily for me, my controllers work perfect.

6) Hey buy any device with a screen, whether it's a tablet, phone, TV or monitor...dead pixels are a risk. That's nothing to do with Nintendo and everything to do with display technology. Most manufacturers will tell you unless you have 3+ dead pixels they won't do anything, fortunately you can usually take stuff back to stores.

7 & 8) Pretty sure that's coming, at least going by Reggie's quotes, it should have been correctly implemented at launch.

9) Well you can actually charge and stand it using the official Switch case, this isn't a big deal anyway and what do people expect from a device that docks from the bottom?

Seems like the dock is not scratching the screen unless defective btw: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bik6tk4po7ygzte/IMG_0453.m4v?dl=0

If we're going to chastise Nintendo for hardware design flaws it should be for that crappy kickstand. It's not strong and it's in a bad position.

JasonMasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By JasonMasters

I am required to find one by my girlfriend. Finding one will be the hardest part.

MaKiNbAcoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I got it, but as someone mentioned above I viewed this more as a replacement for my 3DS. If it didn't have the portability aspect of it, I would of ended up with Zelda on Wii U.

Excited for : Mario Kart 8 (because my wife and I can play it on a plane) , Splatoon 2 (didn't play the first) , and Mario. Those 3 + Zelda made it enough to take on the first year early adopter.

JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By JohnLocke

I don't really fit in the poll. I am in the "Not many games at launch and its quite expensive, will wait and see what they release longer term and may see at a price drop" mode. It also depends on how much Microsoft charge for the Xbox Scorpio and what it entails. If the Scorpio is something I feel I want more, then chances are I will go that way instead.

I have not bought a Nintendo system since the Gamecube, but Zelda looks great and I would have liked to have played Mario Maker on the Wii U. So if they can make more games more frequently for Switch, I would be very interested.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

No interest; Zelda doesn't even really seem like my type of game, but if I do decide to eventually get it, I'll get it for my Wii U.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wynnduffy: To your points, it all comes down to value for money combined with the timeframe and context in which the Switch is launching. Regardless of what Nintendo may want to think, and no matter how much they might shout otherwise from the rooftops, the fact is they are in competition with Sony and Microsoft for my time and money and attention. They need to convince me that the Switch is more worthy of my time and money than another console. They can do that either by being better than (or at least at parity with) those consoles or by doing something those other consoles don't. The Switch, in my opinion, has pretty much failed to do that.

For example, I currently own a PS4. Let's say that I am looking to buy another console as a backup. I'm not, but let's say I am. My choices are between the XBONE or a Switch.

1. If I buy a Switch, it's $300 for the system, plus I need to buy a game, so that's another $60. I probably want a Pro Controller too, since the buzz is that seems to be an essential peripheral. One of those is $70. Eventually I'll need a memory stick. A 128GB card runs around $50. So by the time I'm done, I'm looking at a minimum of $360 if I get just the system and something to play on it. It's probably closer to $450-$500 if I get everything I'll eventually need.

And yes, you are correct that both the XBONE and PS4 originally launched with no pack-in. And yes, that was shitty. But that (a) doesn't excuse Nintendo from doing the same thing and (b) isn't what Nintendo is competing with right now. At this point, both Sony and Microsoft have come out with updated versions of their consoles that act as bundles. Looking at Microsoft's website, I can get a 1TB XBONE, with a game, for $350. If I just get a 500GB XBONE, I can get one with a game for $300.

2. So if we just look at the cost of the system and a game, then the XBONE and Switch are both around $350. But with the XBONE I don't need to go out an buy a memory stick. Additionally:

• I can back up my saves on the XBONE to the cloud or an external device, I can't on the Switch
    • The XBONE has an established catalog of games, the Switch doesn't. All I've got with the Switch is the promise of games in the future. Everything is "Coming Soon (TM)."
    • XBONE has an established and easy to use online service. The Switch's isn't really up and running and the Friend Code thing is hard to use.
    • The XBONE is more powerful than the Switch. So the XBONE will be able to run more games because some things just won't be possible on the Switch. If a game does end up existing on both, chances are the XBONE version will be the "better" one.
    • I know the XBONE has got 3rd party support. The Switch merely has a promise of 3rd party support. But Nintendo made that promise with the WiiU as well, and look how that turned out.

3. So I'm in the store or on Amazon and I'm making my choice, the Switch looks like a less powerful, less convenient, less connected system with fewer games. The only thing it has the XBONE doesn't is portability and I don't personally think that's cool enough on its own to change my opinion. On top of that you've got to layer the rumored issues the Switch has with controller functionality, bad screens, etc. I am willing to concede that those probably look worse than they are, and that every console launch has problems like that. But given the distance the Switch needs to make up, they can't afford any issues.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Will buy. Though it'll be holiday 2017 at the earliest.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Had one pre-ordered, once I realized it was only Zelda at first that I cared about playing I cancelled it. I'll get one eventually, probably this holiday season. Maybe later depending on how it goes. I do really want to play Zelda and don't have a WiiU but I can't justify it as the only thing for the Switch. Once there are more new games I'll consider it much more highly.

Between Horizon Zero Dawn, Mass Effect at the end of this month and (probably getting) Yakuza 0, there's plenty of options to keep me busy right now.

kidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

As a Wii U owner I won't be buying the Switch any time soon. Not that I would have a reason to. I know it's not a popular opinion, but I kinda hope it tanks and Nintendo goes the Sega software-only way.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Not interested anytime soon. I'd like to since I do have a fondness for handheld gaming, but I can get Zelda for the Wii U and it doesn't have enough value to me right now with all of the hidden costs and hardware shortcomings. Could see myself waiting for a hardware revision.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Onemanarmyy

If you want an accurate poll, you should not include your personal feelings in the options (skimpy lineup,in danger of buying, hardware issues)

I'm not getting a switch anytime soon.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ripelivejam

@retrometal: people like toplay it in kickstand mode with the separate joycons. i'm fine playing it that way and just charging it afterwards (i mean, the joycons aren't changing when it's like that). my kid icarus 3ds stand works wonderfully for that exact purpose, though! and it's a better viewing angle, too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.