Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

So I bought a Nintendo Switch

daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 12

Edited By daavpuke

It's not news that I go through game collection sprees periodically. I've been looking for a Wii U for months now. You'd think it would be easy to find someone doing away with a console no one wants. For some reason though, people are selling their unwanted child for either way too much or in a ridiculous, incomplete state. Then, two-ish weeks ago, I finally replaced my broken Playstation 1 with the filthiest, nastiest lot I've ever had in my hands. Considering I own a thousand console games and lived in a condemned house, that statement says a lot. That batch was all kinds of fucked up, but it was affordable and that's where I'm at with my collection maintenance.

No Caption Provided

Usually, an acquisition like that keeps me busy enough to close any secondhand market apps I have, but this time I lingered. Not one week later, another aptly priced lot presented itself. Well, the €300 price tag was more than I could afford, but my brain also yelled at me that I'd never find an equally good deal. So I bought a Switch. It's taken five years, but I'm finally a current gamer again. The woman selling the console being a rare friendly person during the entire transaction made the purchase that much easier. You'd be surprised how many messages from sellers come back with fewer than three words. "Buy it or shut up" is not the great business acumen you think it is, especially not when you're already charging a premium. Resellers are a plague, I'll mention it every time.

Anyway, what is the Switch like for someone who stopped buying consoles around the Playstation 3 (PS3) era? I thought I'd give some of my belated first impressions here. The first thing I noticed is the console's dozen awkward designs. The placement for cartridges, both game and storage, feel like they're going to break the surrounding shell at any point. Inserting a game makes my heart skip, every time. The SD card sits exposed behind the flimsy kickstand, which I haven't managed to get my screen to stay upright once. That video of the rooftop party really set up some unrealistic expectations, because even a slight breeze would defeat this tiny, plastic stick.

No Caption Provided

The control scheme is just as awkward. God, why does Nintendo feel the need to rework an already solved problem? I hate every iteration of the control setup, from the individual little joy-con nubs, to the pointless grip that doesn't charge the controllers. I've grown used to this mismatched mess, but it's a far cry from both Playstation and Xbox, which have figured out that less complicated works best. On top of that, the game I'm playing doesn't even let you play with the full grip, instead making you choose one joy-con or forcing you into portable mode. What an unbelievable regression in user experience this is, coming from standardized controllers. I hate it, a lot, and can see this ridiculous design affecting how much I'll play down the line.

To stick with controls for a moment, one of the selling features for the Switch was HD rumble, which is supposed to accurately simulate what's happening on screen. I feel like people praised this mechanism a bit too much. I mean, it's fine? The vibration does feel more nuanced than its competitors, but not at all in a "realistic" sense, whatever that means. Truly, this is the force feedback of its generation; a completely serviceable addition that otherwise doesn't warrant any revolutionary statement. In comparison, the 3DS depth feature actually simulates a sense of depth, even for someone like me who is stereo-blind. That's a gimmick that lives up to its potential. HD rumble is just okay.

No Caption Provided

I was also expecting a few more applications to be available, but I can understand why Nintendo doesn't go too deep in customization. It would've been nice to have Spotify on a Switch, but it at least covers YouTube and Twitch. Especially since Sony discontinued Twitch support on PS3 amid the first lockdown, to cynically save on bandwidth, it is nice to watch streams on a TV again. Though, this being Nintendo, the app only populates streams it finds appropriate, meaning half of your follow list just doesn't show up. You can search for them manually. Why? Nintendo.

I could go on about the awkward design of the console, but I think that covers the most obvious ones. So now, how does the Switch play, with the above in mind? What I was most surprised about is that the portable factor is more appealing than it sounded. In fact, I went to lengths to make sure I had a dock, since I didn't plan on taking the console out at all, but now I play portably half the time. The screen is just large enough that a smaller size doesn't bother me. On top of that, the gaming experience seems a tad more fluid when not stretched to a TV. Not that games aren't sizing up, to the contrary; what I've played looked pretty good. When docked, there is a slight haze here or there, but some of these Nintendo games are pretty sharp these days. I'm not sure if the same can be said about streaming titles, but I'll try that when the time feels right.

Battery life seems decent as well. Granted, my point of reference is a launch 3DS that craps out after two hours, but I've done a few three hour sessions and neither the console nor the joy-cons ever dipped below half charge. Maybe some intensive games like Bayonetta will reduce that time, but I never felt like I'm racing the clock, like I was on 3DS. I even tapped the touchscreen a bunch, which works effortlessly, without any stress to the battery life. This is a launch model, so I take it that the improved versions are even better. That OLED Switch has to be a banger. Thanks for beta testing, everyone.

Rub your Pikachu vigorously
    Rub your Pikachu vigorously

Since I got a random selection of games along with my Switch, I didn't know what to play first. I ended up going for Pokémon Let's Go, partially because I wrote about playing the first generation, but also because I play Pokémon GO daily. I'm not going to go into detail, yet, but it is a game that uses most of the console's features. I'm a little surprised that loading times from a cartridge are longer than I thought they'd be, but I'm enjoying running around and catching Pokémon, with the quality of life changes they made here. Particularly since Pokémon Yellow is fresh in my head, it's interesting to see how they evolved this reimagining to cater to their youngest audience. It's very clear that, despite a lot of fan service, the Nintendo Switch is for the children. I think a lot of people tend to forget that, even willfully.

Still, I feel like I haven't gotten the full experience quite yet. People are constantly raving about how every game would be "perfect for Switch" and I just don't know what that's like. Right now, this just feels like most consoles and the few demos I've tried didn't make me a believer yet, whether from first or third party publishers, portable or docked. I thought I'd ask the community for help on this one.

What is the one game that illustrates to you: "This is why you should own a Switch?" What is THE game everyone should try?

I remember when Nintendo was struggling so much that 102% of consumers owned this game; more than had consoles
    I remember when Nintendo was struggling so much that 102% of consumers owned this game; more than had consoles

I have a few big hitters and access to maybe one or two more, but I'm also not opposed to just buying an instant classic, if needed. I've looked into getting that new Kirby game that appears to be pretty great, but only having local versions available in languages I don't want is pretty off-putting. Another Nintendo staple is that they will force you into a language interface, whether you want to or not. This is a specifically European problem, for all you North Americans. Not that Kirby has that much text, but I don't want to be made to read "Bouche Bagnole" or whatever translation quirks a localisation ends up choosing. I keep my dubs in anime, thank you.

As always, my timing for things is awful, as I acquired the Switch exactly after a giant sale ended on the eShop, but maybe that's for the best, as I'm already forced to eat spaghetti for the rest of the month. Spaghetti is bad heat wave food, by the way. As such, I'll probably have a few days before I can commit to a game, but maybe that will give me time to hit another sale. Though, from what I've seen, the discounts aren't exactly worth the digital trade-off. I guess that is also still a Nintendo trademark. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I recommend you should buy the Switch Pro Controller if you wish to have better times.

Broshmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Broshmosh

I second the notion of getting a pro controller.

Also "It's clear the Switch is for children" only applies if the children are 100% locked out of accessing the online shop. There are some titles on there I would not want children to play, but YMMV. Nintendo have finally decided they like money, and the Switch e-shop is basically as bad as Steam now.

daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By daavpuke

@gtxforza said:I recommend you should buy the Switch Pro Controller if you wish to have better times.

I looked into it, but none of the offbrand choices (hori, powera) had recent reviews and the regular one being €70 while having mostly the same layout didn't fill me with confidence. Maybe if they make a special edition I particularly like to justify the cost.

@broshmosh said:Also "It's clear the Switch is for children" only applies if the children are 100% locked out of accessing the online shop. There are some titles on there I would not want children to play, but YMMV. Nintendo have finally decided they like money, and the Switch e-shop is basically as bad as Steam now.

I think you can do a lot worse, in terms of unrestricted internet access, than running into a rogue Senran Kagura or Hentai vs Zombies game. Exception vs rule etc. Nintendo lets you rub the Fire Emblem people now, so that's kinda the metric now. A thing I didn't feel the need to mention is that the user settings are pretty good, which would make it easy to set up parental controls here (though if I were a parent, I'd rather just be present, your kid is gonna run into inappropriate stuff in life anyway).

Broshmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Broshmosh

@daavpuke: I'm probably splitting hairs at this point, but I was refering to games like Oxide Room 104, rather than pervy games. There is a counter-argument that these games are on the platform for the benefit of those outside the console's target demographic, but still, if the publisher (Nintendo) is catering to the audience beyond what is considered to be the target, that probably means a statement like "The Switch is aimed at children, but also caters to adults" is also applicable, which re-frames the discussion to an extent.

Personally, I would go as far to say that a console can't really be for children if the publishers allow non-child friendly games onto the platform. Imagine if CBeebies started airing Breaking Bad or some shit.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Switch Pro Controller is almost exactly like a modern Xbox controller (except for button layout) so if you like the Xbox controller you will like the Switch controller.

In terms of what games make you think "that would be perfect for Switch" I think that's mostly for people who love to play things portably. There's nothing magical about the Switch other than its portability, and it is pretty low powered (especially compared to Series X and PS5) so really it mostly applies to indie games that will run well on anything.

My favorite Switch games are either Nintendo games that are great because they are Nintendo games (Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart etc...) or games that just aren't very demanding like Hades (which is still probably better on Xbox or PlayStation or PC.)

Even in terms of motion controllers I prefer PS Move controllers to the pure gyro of the Switch.

That's not to say it's a bad platform; it has tons of great games. Neon White is probably my favorite game of 2022 so far and Breath of the Wild is probably my favorite game ever, but I would focus on games that look appealing rather than things that are perfect for Switch.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By FacelessVixen

As a PC enthusiast, the Switch is my favorite console to come out over the past ten years. Pretty solid library. It runs the games well enough. But, the online service leaves plenty to be desired, and the standard joycons were designed for literal children.

That said, if by any chance that you'll enjoy Pokemon Sword as much as I did, I'm down for battles.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I actually found BOTW to be totally average

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

Breath of the Wild is a helluva game, if for no other reason than the sheer volume of stuff to do in it, and the way the game really rewards exploration over "icon collecting." I found some of the puzzles to veer into frustration more than fun, but overall: once the game picks up steam, it doesn't stop.

If it's story/characters you're looking for, or something a bit slower: I just wrapped up "Triangle Strategy," and it's a very, VERY excellent tactics game with an absolutely stellar story and characters. Dark fantasy without being overtly grimdark or tryhard.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses is great if you're looking for something a bit more bubbly and standard plot-wise, but still want a satisfying tactics game at the heart, and both those games have enormous replay value as there are major decisions that can really alter the path of the plot.

Beyond that, a lot of "great on Switch" games are just games that travel well and run great on the system. Games like "Hades," the new "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge" or "Streets of Rage 4."

The "Ace Attorney" games are also great fun, puzzlers with an emphasis on characters and observation after the fact.

warpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By warpr

One of my favorite experiences on Switch (apart from the obvious Nintendo first-party games) has been Dragon Quest Builders. Minecraft with bits of JRPG story was exactly what I needed when that came out.

(supposedly the second one is better, but I have not played that one)

renegade1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super Mario Odyssey

Links Awakening

Luigi Mansion 3

Essentially only Nintendo 1st party games - always a winner

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Oh, and Monster Hunter Rise. Sure, 60 frames and 21:9 on PC, but I'm not going to knock a solid/stable 30 frames on Switch, at least based on what I've played of the demo.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ARMS is a great and unique arena brawler (or maybe boxing-shooter is a better description?) that makes good use of the joycon motion controls. Characters have extendable arms and you hold two joycons to control them. Punch and then tilt the controller to change your fist trajectory. There is a regular option if your not into that, but the motion controls work very well.

The only downside is the game doesn't have a whole lot of content, and they still sell it for full price even 5 years out. So, while this is legitimately my favorite game on Switch, you should probably get it on sale or used. It's well worth $30 or so.

ArmoredMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

woah what happened with that tweet of yours? what's the full story? @daavpuke

daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ARMS is a great and unique arena brawler (or maybe boxing-shooter is a better description?) that makes good use of the joycon motion controls. Characters have extendable arms and you hold two joycons to control them. Punch and then tilt the controller to change your fist trajectory. There is a regular option if your not into that, but the motion controls work very well.

The only downside is the game doesn't have a whole lot of content, and they still sell it for full price even 5 years out. So, while this is legitimately my favorite game on Switch, you should probably get it on sale or used. It's well worth $30 or so.

Wow, that's the first time I've seen an Arms recommendation, but you make a good point that it's kinda a feature seller. I bet I could eventually find that one cheap. Though, what I didn't expect is how hard it is to find back catalog games? I've looked up a few from the recommendations here and can't find any, other than full priced second hand games, which is ridiculous.

woah what happened with that tweet of yours? what's the full story? @daavpuke

That's a lot of the story in that thread. I took a chance on a single picture lot, because I really needed to replace my PS1. It turned out that collection lived on a farm and everything was beaten to hell and caked in crud. All the boxes are either cracked or parts missing. One of the controllers... Melted? However bad you thought it was, it was worse than that. I've never seen anything like it. I was so surprised that everything worked, despite its insane state. I had to air out my house after getting it. It was a trip.

ArmoredMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daavpuke wow that's quite a story you got there. 😮 lucky you managed to save it. 😉

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.