Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

Super Mario Galaxy 3 VS Super Mario Sunshine 2

• 49 results
    SnakeEyes1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By SnakeEyes1997

Poll Super Mario Galaxy 3 VS Super Mario Sunshine 2 (412 votes)

Super Mario Galaxy 3 61%
    Super Mario Sunshine 2 39%

Which would you rather see be released for the Switch?

• 
    stise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't believe this poll is missing Diddy Kong Racing.

The real answer is that I'm most interested in new takes on Mario, which means Odyssey has me well intrigued. Between these two, I'd have to go with Galaxy 3. Just seems like there's more opportunity to vary the setting and power set, though of course inventive design could make either of these sequels fresh and exciting; I just don't have a lot of faith that Nintendo would make Sunshine 2 fresh and exciting.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I feel like two Galaxy games is enough, whereas there is a lot of untapped potential in Sunshine, given that the original game was so short and rushed, so I'll go with the latter.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By rethla

@kingbonesaw: Dont worry, Nintendo can always come up with another overpriced gimmick controller to go along with a new Sunshine game.

Why not just sell new Gamecubecontrollers with 7inch cables that connect into your joycons as an example? Fairly priced at $799ofc.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ezekiel

Neither. I want Super Mario M.C. Escher.

Sunshine bores me and I didn't play Galaxy for long.

Joe423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Joe423

I'd rather have a new Mario game. Nothing about the Fludd mechanic in Super Mario Sunshine makes me want a sequel considering the best platforming in that entire game were the levels where they took away Fludd.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We already have a Galaxy sequel. Sunshine 2 is the obvious choice.

However, it would suck because Nintendo doesn't like trigger buttons for some reason

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
    planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who the fuck would want anything in life other than Galaxy 3? And then to have the audacity to put it up for a vote against the sequel to the worst Mario game? You should be ashamed.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think either are needed honestly. I'm more excited for Odyssey than the idea of either of these.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Galaxy 3. I liked Sunshine at the time but I dont really want to go back to the big levels. The 3D World/Land games were too directed but the Galaxy games were the perfect mix to me.

Luchalma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ignoring the fact that I'd rather them just keep making weird new things, I'm with Dan in saying that Sunshine is a great game. I'd play more like that.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NTM

Galaxy 3 I suppose. I never really played Sunshine. At the time, I saw it and didn't think it looked like the Mario sequel I wanted, the successor to Mario 64 (and honestly, I can't say I even love Mario 64, I just wanted a Mario that looked like it needed to be played, Sunshine didn't seem like that one). I recently looked at what it got on Metacritic and was super surprised that it received as good as it got. My brother and I rented it when it came out but I didn't play it much at all; my friend got it for his birthday I believe, brought it over and played it a good amount. I remember Delfino Plaza somewhat; the song is memorable and catchy. Back when it came out, I put a little more stock into review scores too, and mostly visited GameSpot. I remember thinking an eight for a Mario game is low and that it's not worth giving it much thought, which is dumb (I was a stupid twelve year old though).

As for Galaxy, I loved the first one but was hesitant to buy the sequel (not to mention the fact I didn't have a job, so no money at the time either), but I finally bought it last month since I wasn't really playing anything new, and I went through it. It was as I suspected, unfortunately: a well-designed game just as the first, but more or less the same experience with a few additions. I thought it was great, but I was disappointed in it and didn't like some aspects compared to the first. So, to answer the question, it would be Galaxy, but I'd really hope if they made a sequel to it they'd enhance, expand and make it more original than the first two. I feel kind of bad for not playing Sunshine much at all honestly and feel I should give it a chance. If Switch does get GameCube games, and that's one of the games, I'll definitely try it out. I'm excited to see Odyssey.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Galaxy 2 is my favorite 3D Mario game, but it seems like everything they could possibly do with that format was already in the game.

So expanding on Sunshine could lead to some cool new stuff.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Sunshine. I really like the island environments. The music was awesome too.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15  Edited By shivermetimbers

A good Paper Mario game/Mario RPG. The fact that this hasn't happen in damn well over a decade saddens me to my core.

EDIT: Should note that I'm referring to the Paper Mario games and not Bowser's Inside Castle or something along those lines with the last sentence. Tho I know it's debatable either way.

katpottz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#16  Edited By katpottz

Making numbered sequals to 3D mario games is a mistake.

badseed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Out of the two choices it's Galaxy 3 by a mile, but I don't really want any of them, I want Super Mario World 2 or Super Mario Bros 2 (Us) 2

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

New.donk.city

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Odyssey looks a lot more like Sunshine 2 than another Galaxy game, and that's the game I want.

VideoGameMobes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@kingbonesaw@frostyryan: The lack of analogue triggers on their more recent consoles didn't stop them from making a new Luigi's Mansion, in which they reworked the vacuum from using trigger sensitivity.

I have a general foundness for the weird period during the Gamecube where Nintendo made a lot of titles that didn't take themselves seriously. Coming out of the Nintendo 64, there was some amount of class to the games that are considered classics today.. so naturally you expected Sunshine and some other games from the same time to one-up it's prequels in "classiness", but they didn't!

Sunshine 2 would be such a weird phenomena, I'd be remissed to vote for it. Galaxy already had its some features refined in Galaxy 2 and Mario 3D Land/World games.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like they perfected the Galaxy formula in the second game so I'd be more interested in seeing how they could improve Sunshine, especially considering that it is considered to be a flawed game.

SteveVice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

As much as I love Sunshine, Galaxy are the greater games, and I´d rather have them explore more of Galaxy than Sunshine.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Capum15

I would love to see how they improve on Sunshine more than a third Galaxy.

Picky_Bugger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Picky_Bugger

The correct answer is neither.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26  Edited By xanadu

Im more about that Super Mario 3D Land/World 2

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By Justin258

I tried to play both Mario Sunshine and Mario Galaxy recently. I kinda want to play more Sunshine. I just can't seem to get into Mario Galaxy, partly because the camera just disoriented me when it's upside down.

But the real answer is that I want to see what Mario Odyssey is.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

half-life 3

ThaMilkMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Conker's Badder Fur Day is the correct answer.

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm with a lot of other people in that Odyssey looks super intriguing and that's what I want more than either of these. But between the two, definitely Galaxy 3.

PassiveSpiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would like to see the originals on an eshop like store for a reasonable price that tie to your Nintendo account so you have access to them on future consoles.

ALavaPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually would like to see a new Super Mario Sunshine. There was a lot of cool ideas in that held back by some terrible controls. But man the movement options in that game is amazing if you can get those terrible controls to muscle memory. I would be very interested in a more refined sunshine.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another Super Mario Sunshine game taking on board the knowledge of the teams who made Splatoon could be really amazing. Honestly, I had my fill of Super Mario Galaxy part way through the second game. To make a third Galaxy game would need something significantly to wrap the 3D moving-gravity mechanic around.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Don't need analogue triggers when you have an extra shoulder button. Still voted for Galaxy 3 though.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super Mario Galaxy: Fludd Edition.

I think the Galaxy games are the only 3D Mario's I actually enjoyed, because the levels were more linear with the occasional open area. Odyssey looks like it's going back to putting more focus on the adventuring at the cost of well-designed platforming (not that I've played it, obviously), so I'd really only be interested if they did another Galaxy-style game, probably.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neither. I want 3D World 2

tatsuyarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@rafaelfc said:

Neither. I want 3D World 2

Same

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

You're getting Odyssey anyway which is basically the same thing, so how about they make a good 2D Mario instead. None of this "New SMB" crap.

Ommarwaha123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Ommarwaha123

I think super mario sunshine 2 because it would be different and interesting what brain storming ideas Nintendo company would include for super mario sunshine 2

I would also want mario galaxy 3 but if they release super mario sunshine first,then people would be glad that Nintendo have brought back a mario game from the past

So I would pick super mario sunshine 2

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I don't hate Sunshine, but Galaxy is for sure the better incarnation of Mario. That said, we already have two of those games, and while I wouldn't raise my nose at a third, I'd be much more intrigued to see them take another stab at Sunshine. (Because I mean... fucking what?)

To be fair, I think the main failings that can be attributed to Sunshine are more functional -- in the execution, rather than at their core conceptually. They'd have to add something new, for sure, but I think there's room for a Mario game that's half-third-person-shooter, that involves Mario solving troubles and restoring vitality to a realized, cohesive locale.

Say what you will about Sunshine, I think it's interesting that Delfino Isle gives you a good sense of place. When you're in a stage, you can look past the boundaries of the world and see the other stages. It's very different from the abstracted worlds we usually see in a Mario game. If they made Sunshine today, I bet they could get away with making it a weird open world game. Yeah, that's right. I evoked it. Bring it.

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate playing Sunshine, but I haven't played any of the Galaxies yet either so I'm not itching for a third game.

If they did another attempt at Sunshine, I think it'd turn out a much better game. Besides, Metroid Prime also went on for way longer than it should've. Seriously, a FIFTH game (more if you include Federation Force, Pinball, etc.) in the prequel series? Why can't we get a proper new one past Fusion?

I imagine I'd start to feel the same about a third Galaxy game, even though from the little bit I have played it was a million times better than Sunshine.

Qrowdyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As much as I push back against the narrative that Sunshine is a bad game, I still believe its near the bottom of the list when it comes to 3d mario. I also don't know that there's anything more to do, mechanics wise, with FLUDD. So would a Sunshine 2 be a more polished, less fiddly version of Sunshine 1 with new stages? Don't want my once in five years, 3d mario experience to be that rote.

Galaxy 1 and 2 are of course some the best Mario games ever made. The best imo since I'm not a big 2d platformer guy. A Galaxy 3 would have to do something special to not be considered a dissapointment. That said I'd be hype af if they announced a new Galaxy.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

isn't Odyssey just a follow-up to Sunshine? It has moons instead of suns tho.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#47  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

Galaxy is boring, Sunshine is bad but it at least has the potential to be cool with better level/objective design so I voted Sunshine 2.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
    deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Luigi's Mansion 3

Scottjay01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neither, while I enjoyed mario 64 when it was released I wanted another Mario world. So for me my fav 3d Mario after 64 has been Super Mario 3D World, I felt they nailed it, The main cast was back and so were the power ups.

I was never a fan of either of those games sunshine is terrible and galaxy doesn't appeal to me.

damonkey64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By damonkey64

New RPG Paper Mario..or just Super Mario RPG 2 would be cool. A 3d Mario game that takes place in the Mario 2 universe would also be a neat idea.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.