Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

Switch is stuck in 480p while docked, no solution anywhere yet

cronus42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By cronus42

So, in what seems to be one of the rarer issues on launch day, my Switch refuses to spit anything besides 480p to my 1080p monitor. For whatever reason the Switch is only detecting it as 480. So far the few other people I've found reporting this have nothing consistent in common. Anyone else getting this and found a solution of any kind?

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By xanadu

Does it display the correct resolution when it is edit: undocked?

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xanadu: the title says it is docked.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By xanadu

@travisrex: Thanks, my bad. meant to say undocked so we could clarify it only happens when displaying to TV.

Error52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do the TV settings have 1080p set as the resolution?

cronus42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@error52: Yea, the switch is just sending it 480 instead of HD.

SlaxHiste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SlaxHiste

I'm posting here to receive updates on the thread, I have the same problem.

The weird thing is I tried on a smaller screen, from the same brand configured with the same exact settings and it worked in 1080p, I can't figure out why it doesn't work on my more recent screen. My Wii U and all other devices have a 1080p resolution on the screen but the switch is stuck in 480p.

cronus42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slaxhiste: Yea, no two people who have reported it seem to have the same monitors as far as I can tell, and everyone who tests it on a different monitor says it works fine. People are even seeing the issue on brand new 4k screens. Something is super messed up here.

DookieRope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ugh, all this digital handshaking. Fuck HDMI, I'm going back to component.

cronus42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That would be nice. I'm just frustrated that I basically spent 400 dollars on a portable device since playing it on my screen looks like total shit. Hopefully enough noise gets made about this that nintendo can fix it fairly soon and not months from now.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By triple07

Weird I think I probably have this as well. Just got home (picked up the switch before work) and plugged it into the TV and thought the resolution was wrong because it looks bad but went to change it to 1080p and nothing changed. So looks like I'm in the same boat. Hopefully they fix soon. Although I should probably try it on different monitors since I have 3.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe try if the monitor has other HDMI ports? My PS4 also had problems with my TV that forced me to update its firmware. Maybe also see if theres some setting for HDMI version like my monitor does for displayport (no idea if this is possible)?

cronus42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My monitor only has the one HDMI port on it. I've been frantically searching old boxes for the HDMI to DVI bit I know I have. No idea if that will work but it's worth a shot.

Also everything I've seen seems like its restricted to certain displays as opposed to certain Switches, so if you have another screen give it a shot and it will probably work.

SlaxHiste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tried something this morning.

I plugged my switch into my elgato capture card and then to the monitor that was failing to display 1080p. It actually displayed 1080p doing this method. So the problem does not come from the monitor but from the console.

cronus42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By cronus42

I figured it has to be the console just failing to detect the monitor's resolution properly. That's awesome that worked, good thinking.

HMojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By HMojo

I had the exact same problem last night, but got it working this morning: I unplugged the dock's power from the outlet for a bit (maybe 5-8 minutes) and then plugged it back in with the Switch already docked (but in sleep mode). Once I brought it out of sleep mode, it was 1080p instead of 480p on my HDTV.

I hope this is helpful and works for others!

UPDATE: I also had to change the input to make it work. I tried my method last night and still was stuck with the video being 480p. I did the flow described above, but also changed the input just before powering on the console.

Jackal2098

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey Guys, Way I managed to fix the issue was to reboot the machine while in handheld mode and then go into the system settings under TV output and change it from automatic to 1080P (won't change when in docked mode for some reason). Docked the console and it was displaying 1080P again. weird issue though. Hope this helps someone

InStInCt666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By InStInCt666

Weird i never had this problem until today ?!
    i tried what Jackal2098 and it didnt work ... anyone found a solution since ?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.