Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

Vs. version of Super Mario Bros. has dropped on eShop.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By RetroMetal

Not sure how many Switch owners have noticed, but the Nintendo Vs. version of Super Mario Bros. has dropped on the Switch store.

It doesn't seem to be showing up on the Website version of the store, but it shows up on the switch.

$7.99, PURCHASED!

Avatar image for spikexmrspatula
    spikexmrspatula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Is it really that much of a present if you're paying 8 bucks for a 30 year old game?

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spikexmrspatula: I guess the fact it was released in it's ORIGINAL form (never been on any consoles, this version) is gift enough for me.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FWIW, it's now also showing up on the eShop through browsers.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/arcade-archives-vs-super-mario-bros-switch

I figured this would make a bigger splash.

fightingfalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

So what exactly is special about this version? It is the arcade version, right?

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RetroMetal

Yes, it is the coin-op arcade version of the game.

As I recall from the 80's some of the later level designs were different from the NES (USA) release. Those might be the same in Japan, I do not know.

Also, some of the enemies are replaced with "tougher" versions of enemies... kinda like how those beetles would replace Koopas after beating the game on the NES version.

I mean, I know we have all played this a million times on other platforms, but this is the first time, as far as I know, that the original coin-op version of this game has ever existed on a consumer level. It's like, if they release Excitebike from the arcade to the Switch, it's a different game sort of, because there are tricks that worked on the arcade (letting enough motorcycles run into your back tire to make them wreak would earn you like an unlimited turbo with no heat buildup) that were never *IN* the home versions.

I think this is a pretty big deal.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I agree that it's super cool to finally release this in an official capacity. It's really interesting from a historical perspective, and a lot of people don't even know that it exists. Yes, it's always been possible to play this through emulation, but that's not really the point.

BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Netflix, you're greenlit!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.