Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

Which should I get?

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Poll Which should I get? (13 votes)

Bravely Default II 0%
    Octopath Traveller II 92%
    Triangle Strategy 8%

Hey duders :)

I picked up a new Switch last week, and there's a lot, and I mean a LOT of games I'm dying to sink my teeth into.

However, I primarily bought the Switch for the three games in my poll. They're the ones I'm most desperate to play. I'm a life long JRPG/RPG fan, growing up on Chrono Trigger/FFVI/FFT, and I hear that Bravely and Octopath are absolute love letters to that style of game.

And I hear Triangle Strategy is the logical conclusion to the modern SRPG, so I'm eager to get into that too.

However, they're all forty quid each, and I can only play one at once. Which one should I get first, and why?

• 
    Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'd say there's no hurry to get to Bravely 2, as it's not a very successful love letter in my opinion. Bravely 1 is definitely the better story. Octopath 2 on the other hand does the opposite, it takes all the stuff Octopath 1 did and improves on them.

Triangle Strategy is the wild card here. It's a good strategy RPG, but it's really directed towards the people who enjoy the long cutscenes and dialogues of Fire Emblem games. Most of your game time will not be spent playing a strategy game, it will be spent reading expositional dialogue about the political machinations of nations and so forth. If that's what you're hankering for, go for it. If not, then start with Octopath Traveller 2.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have not played any Bravely Default game so can't comment there. Triangle Strategy and Octopath II are both very good in different ways. Triangle Strategy is the more "intense" experience with a very complicated story with a lot of talking that takes itself rather seriously and a very in-depth (fun!) combat system. Octopath II is also very talk-y but is slightly more light-hearted and relaxing and very grind-y in a traditional way. If you played Final Fantasy VI and Final Fantasy Tactics, and enjoyed the former more, go with Octopath II. If you enjoyed the latter more, go with Triangle Strategy.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think these all have free demos available so you may want to check those out to see which one grabs you the most.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.