Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo

Company »

Nintendo was founded in Kyoto, Japan in 1889 as a manufacturer of hanafuda playing cards. The company went through several small niche businesses before becoming a video game company.

Nintendo Earnings Report Sets March 2017 Release Date For NX

• 166 results
    striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

Great article, nicely explained I appreciate that. Also, Pokemon Sun/Moon will absolutely carry the Nintendo 3DS through 2016.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Man...so the Wii U is just dead now? No new games this year? Just a Pokemon game on 3DS? I'm so confused.

jigglemaster7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Zelda neeeeedds to be a launch title for the nx or its game over

Avatar image for theindomitablesnowman
    TheIndomitableSnowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, about that war chest of disposable money...Nintendo is selling the Seattle Mariners, and Howard Lincoln has retired. It's probably unrelated, but it can't be a good sign.

The whole NX announcement feels like one of those things that wasn't supposed to get out. It's just so half-hearted. Like, if Nintendo wasn't obligated to release this information to shareholders, we certainly wouldn't know about their E3 plans, or lack thereof. They'd have probably just dumped the whole thing on us as a 'surprise', like Blast Ball. How many of you guys even remembered Federation Force was coming out this year?

tariqari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

In that case I probably will buy a Wii U now anyway. Hopefully they'll come down in price before then.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

well..... E3 is going to be awkward.

Eribuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

How many of you guys even remembered Federation Force was coming out this year?

How can anyone forget 2016's Game of the Year?!

@dan_citi said:

Man...so the Wii U is just dead now? No new games this year? Just a Pokemon game on 3DS? I'm so confused.

For the Wii U, there's still Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE, Paper Mario: Color Splash, and some other stragglers still to be released. Outside of Pokémon Sun/Moon, the 3DS's year of the RPG will be capped off with Dragon Quest games in English.

morelikelames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nintendo E3 2015 "We only like to talk about games coming out this year".

Nintendo E3 2016 "Here's our one game. Its not coming out this year."

Buuuulllllshiiiiiiiit

gravytrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, with the Wii U having almost no games this year, along with the abysmal details regarding pushing back the new Zelda this is the last Nintendo console I'm ever going to buy. They've burned me too much with overpriced games, a lack of discounts, and a lack of quality content for the system and I'm just not willing to put up with it.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

If they keep rigidly re-releasing Mario Karts and such without really doing much to the formula because the Dans of the world are just fine with playing the same thing over and over again for eternity then I don't see a great future for Nintendo. Their core audience is dwindling and younger gamers simply don't have the nostalgia that fuels a lot of these sales. They should keep doing what they're doing to appease existing fans but they also need to drastically diversify their gaming catalog and I don't mean a single Bayonetta game for the entire run of a console.

Avatar image for theindomitablesnowman
    TheIndomitableSnowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with you...but I'm the guy still holding out for the Mario Kart Arcade GP courses to be released on console at some point.

@skinky said:

@theindomitablesnowman:

The Arcade cabs were recently updated and have new content.

So I've heard! Arcade GP DX, right? Sounds awesome. Too bad I'll probably never see a cabinet.

rkofan87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By rkofan87

@nickhead said:

Well there goes most of my hype for e3.

this at this rate e3 looking kind of flat this year.

Skinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

spitz1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a nintendo share holder I think this is acceptable lol

Icaria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ugh, the corporate dribble about reaching people would be easier to believe if they didn't price their home consoles like Apple products and treat their various regional functionaries like unloved step-children. Insular, conservative Japanese businesses gunna business like insular, conservative Japanese businesses, I guess.

NoneSun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ugh.

reverendhoover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

laxbro19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

This is concerning on so many levels. I get that Nintendo has a lot of developer resources in the NX, but the fact that this console is coming out in March of 2017 and we haven't heard a thing about it yet, and won't get to see it at E3, is a huge red flag. Not just for me but from an investor standpoint. If I own a stake in Nintendo, I wouldn't be feeling very good right now.

Almost all of the value of a share of stock comes from the information that surrounds a company. It's earnings reports, press releases, and even their own competitors information are all factors in the valuation of Nintendo, and any company for that matter. So when I see a news story where we know more about the release date of this device than the device itself, it makes me extremely nervous about the state of Nintendo.

the Wii U is a flop, I'm not talking like a little mino gasping for air, I mean like a full grown Magikarp that only knows splash. The concept and power of the Wii U was flawed from the outset. Your big idea was to have a screen that only one person could use at a time? If your goal was building on the natural inclusion that Wii had with it's peripherals, then they failed massively. But that's not to say that they couldn't have used the game pad in unique ways to justify it. It just so happens they failed at that too. but that wasn't even the worst of it all, they couldn't convince developers to get behind the system.

When I think of when Nintendo had it's highest value, I think of the snes. Full disclosure I wasn't alive back when the system came out, but I do own one and have a modest collection of 12 or so games (usual suspects, got earthbound recently, it's pretty good, and funny too). That system had two things going for it, it had the ability to support 3rd parties and it had excellent first party support. Where was the 3rd party with the Wii U? It was there on day one, and in a remarkably poor way, and then it was gone. The comparatively poor power of the system and the uniqueness of the system made it a no go for 3rd party devs and indies as well, and for good reason, it was just too limiting. And that's why I'm concerned for this system.

Nintendo doesn't just need, "A Nintendo-like solution". It needs to knock it out of the park. If the scuttlebutt is true, and the NX is really an all-in-one solution, it needs to at least be 95% of what the Playstation NEO and whatever Microsoft is preparing to announce. If all the NX is offering is the ability to put out a Wii U quality of performance, I would tell everyone I know with Nintendo stock to invest elsewhere. If others and myself can't play the 3rd party games like COD, Assassin's Creed, and Fallout on this new system, it will be doomed to suffer the fate of it's parent.

The NX needs to be translate 100% in terms of usability to the competition. the time for unique controls is over. It needs to have buttons, triggers, shoulder bumbers, and no gyroscopics. I should be able to pick up an NX and play any given game on any other system and still get the smae experience. Anything less than that and the system will be relegated to only hard-core Nintendo fans. And I know this might hurt some people, but that user base may not be able to support Nintendo in the way that they need it too. If Nintendo want to right the ship, they need to give Joe Gamer an excellent reason to care about the NX. And based on the absolute dirth of knowledge we have about the system, they seem to be even less enthused about their prospects for this thing than I do.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.